ESPN's Outside the Lines filming at U, for segment on Gopher legend Bruce Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

"ESPN Filming Segment on U Legend

Gophers football and basketball notes:

An ESPN producer was in Minnesota this week working on a story about 1941 Gophers Heisman Trophy winner Bruce Smith, according to Bruce Krinke. The story will be an eight minute segment that will air beginning on November 6 as part of the network’s “Outside the Lines” programming.

“Outside the Lines,” hosted by Bob Ley, is producing segments like the Smith story that ties together sports and Veterans Day on November 11, according to Krinke who is a Smith family friend and was instrumental in giving a bust of the deceased Gophers football hero to the University last month. Smith was presented with the Heisman only two days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 and he later served in the U.S. Navy.

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill told Sports Headliners on Wednesday that he has been “seizure free” for awhile. “I don’t know the exact time, but it’s been 10 days anyway,” he said.

The progress has come with effective control of his medications and having the “right amount of sleep” as he settles into a routine. “We feel very comfortable where we’re at,” Kill said. “I just gotta take care of myself and make sure I do all the things they (doctors) tell me.”

It’s almost one year ago (October 17, 2010) that athletic director Joel Maturi announced the dismissal of Gophers football coach Tim Brewster. “You know, Minnesota can and should be competitive in the Big Ten,” Maturi said at the news conference announcing the change."

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

That is good news on both the Smith documentary and Kill's health. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for posting. I had to pick up my daughter just before this was to air!

absolutely awesome piece on Bruce Smith...

good job by ESPN.

Bruce Smith was a great one in every sense of the word!

Bruce Smith feature on ESPNU

It just aired. It was a solid 15 minute piece talking about Bruce Smith and how he changed his Heisman speech due to the Pearl Harbor attacks. They also spoke of how we were a football juggernaut, winning 5 of 8 national championships.

It was filmed in Scott Smith's basement in St Cloud, Mn. Stubbed my toe several times on that damn trophy. Too bad you guys missed #2 daughter Barb---Hot.

Long lost audio: Bruce Smith's Heisman acceptance speech from 1941

Click on the hyperlink below to go to the KARE 11 Minneapolis website and hear the audio of Bruce Smith's 1941 Heisman acceptance speech at the Downtown Athletic Club in NYC. There is also another cool video from KARE 11 Minneapolis about Bruce Smith and a display about him at the Rice County Historical Society.

Of note, Bruce Smith's speech was made 2 days after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and had to be re-written with the help of his father while they were on a train en-route from Minneapolis to New York City.

Great speech by a college football legend.

http://www.kare11.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1315244109001&odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cfeatured

Top Bottom