ESPN's 2020-21 All America Teams

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Clark and Owusu B1G plus Bueckers

First Team: G Dana Evans Louisville, G Paige Bueckers UConn, C Elissa Cunnane NC State, F Aliyah Boston South Carolina,, F NaLyssa Smith Baylor.

Second Team: G Caitlin Clark Iowa, G Ashley Owusu Maryland, G Aari McDonald, F Rhyne Howard Kentucky, F Natasha Mack Oklahoma State
G Paige Bueckers
  • UConn Huskies | 5-foot-11 | freshman
  • 2020-21 stats: 19.7 PPG, 6.1 APG, 53.9 field goal percentage
It has been a few years since a player entered college and took the country by storm as quickly as Bueckers has. With three straight 30-point games, a clutch 3-pointer in the final minute against Tennessee and UConn's final 13 points in an overtime win over South Carolina, Bueckers has already rung up a career's worth of signature moments. She led the Big East in assists, was fourth in scoring, and finished in the top five of six other statistical categories. According to ESPN Stats & Information, and assuming UConn is a No. 1 seed come Monday, Bueckers will become the sixth freshman since 2000 to lead a No. 1 seed in scoring entering the NCAA tournament. None of the others were able to lead their teams to the title. Will Bueckers become the first?

G Caitlin Clark
  • Iowa Hawkeyes | 6-foot | freshman
  • 2020-21 stats: 27.4 PPG, 7.0 APG, 41.6 3-point field goal percentage
If not for Bueckers, Clark would be the runaway choice for every national freshman of the year honor. The numbers are staggering. She's the Division I scoring leader, and her 27.4 PPG is on pace to be the highest scoring average by a freshman in the past 35 years. Clark, who recorded a triple-double in her sixth college game, has 11 30-point games, the most by a freshman over the past 20 years. For comparison, Elena Delle Donne is the only D-I freshman this millennium to average at least 25 points per game (26.7 PPG in 2009-10), and Delle Donne had eight 30-point games her first season. Should Clark finish as the nation's scoring leader, she'll become just the second D-I freshman to lead women's college basketball in points per game for an entire season (Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell averaged 24.9 PPG in 2014-15)

G Ashley Owusu
She has gone from Big Ten freshman of the year to one of the league's best players and is the conductor of the nation's highest-scoring offense and a rotation that has been just seven players deep for most of the season. Owusu has assumed more scoring responsibility with her power game from the point guard position, finishing fourth in the Big Ten in points per game and second in assists for a team that's riding a 10-game winning streak into the Big Ten tournament and has lost only once since the last week of November.

I've watched Bueckers and Clark up close for many years now, and I will say Clark did not sneak up on anybody. She was the most dominant NIKE EYBL AAU player two years ago, winning the NIKE national championship playing up, when Bueckers did not play up per her own decision.
Clark is a dynamic scorer, which is the one edge she has on Bueckers.
But Paige is a elite defender, elite passer and really good scorer, but Paige's best attribute is she makes everybody else around her better, may go down as the best ever already.
but in a one game format, dont underestimate Clark's ability to just take over a game and win it. She will have games in the 40's and 50's before her Iowa career is over, where Paige will collect national championships

Top Bottom