ESPN3

Gophers09

Reaction score
Anyone know why so many of the non-conference games are on ESPN3 this year rather than BTN?

Our soft non-conference schedule plus the addition of Maryland/Rutgers?

And don't forget BTN doesn't have enough of Indiana's non-conference games.

I feel the answer to that Q is that our team is considered 2nd class by the BTN. Thus we get 7 games streamed (BTN Plus & ESPN 3) vs say Mich State, Wisc, Ohio State, and others that have only 2 or 3 games streamed. This decision is a far cry from when the BTN was originated. I remember them touting that all Big Ten mens basketball games would be broadcast in HD quality. I guess guality was the key word..as I didn't realize at that time that streaming would be their way of fulfilling that message. IMO as a Gopher hoops fan, we were better off 20 years ago with the Midwest Sports Channel. With DirecTV as my provider, I can't watch the ESPN-3 games on my laptop or even my phone. Not that either is a fun experience compared to true HD on my theater system. These decisions by the BTN suck to say the least.

Why can't btn do regional coverage. How is it with more channels its harder to watch gophs than it was before I was born. I font need to watch iu get raped by EWU

Why won't the BTN follow the NFL model? All teams treated equally? That model seems to work pretty well :)

I feel the answer to that Q is that our team is considered 2nd class by the BTN. Thus we get 7 games streamed (BTN Plus & ESPN 3) vs say Mich State, Wisc, Ohio State, and others that have only 2 or 3 games streamed. This decision is a far cry from when the BTN was originated. I remember them touting that all Big Ten mens basketball games would be broadcast in HD quality. I guess guality was the key word..as I didn't realize at that time that streaming would be their way of fulfilling that message. IMO as a Gopher hoops fan, we were better off 20 years ago with the Midwest Sports Channel. With DirecTV as my provider, I can't watch the ESPN-3 games on my laptop or even my phone. Not that either is a fun experience compared to true HD on my theater system. These decisions by the BTN suck to say the least.

Yes, promises promises. I remember those promises, too. The gist of it was that nobody had to worry about not being able to watch the Gophers as long as you had basic cable (e.g. ESPN's). Ya.

I wish that our local media would investigate this. Call out the BTN and have them respond (if they have the onions to do so) .. Their response I'm sure would be something like "we are committed to providing our viewers with the most content possible" or some other similar BS. Unfortunately the local media (TV) is more motivated to tell us how great they are and how great living in Minnesota is... nothing but self promotion 24/7.

Anyone know why so many of the non-conference games are on ESPN3 this year rather than BTN?

Because we're not a big program. Indiana versus Cretin-Derham Hall, absolutely on BTN if not CBS.

Indiana vs Maryland Eastern Shore - prime time on the BTN....

The simple solution would be for the BTN to use the alternate channels like they do for football. Don't understand why they don't that during the non conference schedule.

I wish that our local media would investigate this. Call out the BTN and have them respond (if they have the onions to do so) .. Their response I'm sure would be something like "we are committed to providing our viewers with the most content possible" or some other similar BS. Unfortunately the local media (TV) is more motivated to tell us how great they are and how great living in Minnesota is... nothing but self promotion 24/7.

The local media doesn't 'investigate' this because the majority of the people who care that they can't watch this game tonight are on this thread.

The local media doesn't 'investigate' this because the majority of the people who care that they can't watch this game tonight are on this thread.

Truth is I don't care that I can't see it. Game doesn't interest me at all. And I'm as big a Gopher fan as you'll find. Big name opponents, I'd be all over it.

So it's a numbers game... I get that. That doesn't let the BTN off the hook from their promise however. They should still be called out for that.

Truth is I don't care that I can't see it. Game doesn't interest me at all. And I'm as big a Gopher fan as you'll find. Big name opponents, I'd be all over it.

You aren't making any sense.

Big Ten Network favors the marquee programs. Always have.....always will. Kind of a kick in the crotch that some of the games will only be available on BTN+. "Hey.....we only play five Big Ten teams non conference games. You'll be happy to know that you can pay extra to see yours though!"

So it's a numbers game... I get that. That doesn't let the BTN off the hook from their promise however. They should still be called out for that.

They said all games would be available in HD. They all are. ESPN buys the rights to some of them for ESPN3. There's no conspiracy here.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, with a Chromecast ($35 anywhere) you can watch the game on watch ESPN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's almost 2015 and BTN still can't/won't do regional coverage. It's ridiculous.

It's almost 2015 and BTN still can't/won't do regional coverage. It's ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that they have multiple alternate channels that go unused.

Also that no one from the U or BTN has commented on the subject, and no one from the media appears to have inquired or pushed for answers.

Well some people want to watch the same game on 3 different channels.

I get two alternate channels with Comcast and both of them are playing the same thing that the primary channel is playing, lol.

Seems true that MSC way back when provided better coverage of Gopher sports than BTN does today. Depending on your service, comcast does have ESPNU and, if you have comcast, you can get ESPN3 on your computer (free).

I just stream espn 3 on my computer. I don't have cable or direct tv, just an old fashioned antenna so I don't get espn or espn U so i love it when it is on espn 3...

Yep. All you need is a computer with internet access and you will get the ESPN 3 games. I have directv and I have never missed a game in the last 4 years.

Yep. All you need is a computer with internet access and you will get the ESPN 3 games. I have directv and I have never missed a game in the last 4 years.

Doesn't your cable/satellite provider have to have an agreement to access ESPN3 or are you using someone else's log in?

Must be using someone else's log in. Last year (I believe) I was able to set up an account with AT&T and stream ESPN 3. Probably need to try that again.

Doesn't your cable/satellite provider have to have an agreement to access ESPN3 or are you using someone else's log in?

If your ISP supports ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList) you should be able to log in to the WatchESPN app and access all of ESPN3 stuff including live events—all without a TV package. That is in theory though.

Top Bottom