ESPN: Who’s the Big Ten’s best/worst QB in the face of the blitz? (Best: Leidner)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Who’s the Big Ten’s best/worst QB in the face of the blitz?

Highest QBR: Minnesota QB Mitch Leidner (85.0)

It’s not even close; Leidner is nearly 20 points ahead of everyone else. When teams blitz him, he’s completing 58.5 percent of his passes for 281 yards, three TDs and no interceptions. He hasn’t once been sacked. But when teams don’t blitz him? Unlike every other B1G quarterback, he’s actually been much worse. Without the blitz, he has a 44.5 QBR with two TDs, four interceptions and a lower completion rate. He’s better with the pressure. Iowa blitzed him just twice.

Most accurate: Minnesota QB Mitch Leidner (50 percent)

Leidner makes yet another appearance, with Barrett trailing him at 45 percent. But Leidner does have a small sample size – he’s currently 7-of-14 with one TD and no turnovers – and three of those completions came against Indiana State. In other words, there’s a good chance Leidner won’t hold this spot. Barrett hasn’t exactly been tested with great defenses, either, but no other B1G signal-callers have completed over 40 percent of their long passes.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...s-looking-closer-at-the-big-tens-quarterbacks

Go Gophers!!

Further proof that you can find a stat to support just about anything. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm reading that right, the "most accurate" reference as it relates to Leidner is on deep balls (20+ yards in the air), which is why the sample size is so low.

When he isn't blitzed, he is locked in on one guy and has bad results. When blitzed he makes faster decisions. If I'm a DC I stop the run and play man behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom