ESPN Week 5 What to Watch For: (If Penn State can fix any of its mounting issues)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

If Penn State can fix any of its mounting issues: Go ahead, take your pick: The constant struggle of the offensive line, which has been among the Big Ten's worst for three years running. A defensive line that has gotten little to no push against good offensive lines. Or a linebacking corps in which the three starters are all injured. Said coach James Franklin: "In my 22 years of doing this, I've never been part of a team that's lost three linebackers."

Penn State was exposed in a 49-10 loss to No. 4 Michigan, but Franklin was quick to reiterate several times Tuesday that his team's issues were exacerbated by the talent level of the Wolverines. His defense should experience some semblance of a break this week against Minnesota, which is ranked No. 64 nationally in total offense despite playing an FCS team, a Group of 5 squad and the Oregon State Beavers. If Penn State gets embarrassed again this weekend, quarterback Trace McSorley might not be the only one apologizing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/137000/week-5-in-the-big-ten-what-to-watch-for

Go Gophers!!

Love Josh Moyer and those ESPN writers (not). Never any love for the Golden Gophs. We have the number 31 rushing attack in the nation, and we have had Shannon Brooks for only one of our three games. We will run for 275 yards and dominate time of possession. PSU can start looking for their additional apologists about 5:15 on Saturday afternoon.

Love Josh Moyer and those ESPN writers (not). Never any love for the Golden Gophs. We have the number 31 rushing attack in the nation, and we have had Shannon Brooks for only one of our three games. We will run for 275 yards and dominate time of possession. PSU can start looking for their additional apologists about 5:15 on Saturday afternoon.

Well the article is centered around Penn St mounting personnel issues. Did you expect it to detail things relating to the Gophers football team?

Being 64th in total offense is big for us considering last year we were around 110th last year I believe.

Being 64th in total offense is big for us considering last year we were around 110th last year I believe.

You are correct. If PSU went from 110 to 64, this article would have been touting Franklin as FBS coach of the year.

Well the article is centered around Penn St mounting personnel issues. Did you expect it to detail things relating to the Gophers football team?

I think he found this a little condescending, and it was, a little:

His defense should experience some semblance of a break this week against Minnesota, which is ranked No. 64 nationally in total offense despite playing an FCS team, a Group of 5 squad and the Oregon State Beavers. If Penn State gets embarrassed again this weekend, quarterback Trace McSorley might not be the only one apologizing.

Yes, and actually 33rd in the country in scoring offense due in large part to our red zone efficiency (although that fact did not fit with the slant of the article).

Top Bottom