ESPN vs. Rivals/Scout

old chap

Section 211-Row 15
Reaction score
Just curious how people feel about ESPN's recruiting coverage.

They haven't been doing it as long as Rivals/Scout and don't use the "star" system, but they seem to provide fairly in-depth reports on each recruit. However, I rarely see anyone refer to their rankings. It seems as though they are getting more and more attention from the athletes themselves with the increased attention of the UnderArmour game.

It's also interesting to see the various discrepancies. Hasan Lipscomb, one of our "4-star" players as graded by Rivals is the 9th-rated of our recruits by ESPN (not including the Juco Commits).

I use all three.

When I am looking at recruits I visit all three sites and look at what the say and figure somewhere in the middle is the best guess. In the end of course its about developing talent and bringing out the best in a player. I actually like the star system of rivals the best because you can see the clear breaks in the system. What I like about ESPN is they go by a 100-40 system which provides them a bit more ability to seperate the players. Rivals can seperate a 3* 5.7 from a 3* 5.6 but on ESPN they can have a 80 to 79 to 76 they have a few more options when ranking a player.

The reason ESPN has gotten better inroads with the kids is they now have a network for college sports on ESPNU and they dedicate shows all week long to the recruiting process.

Top Bottom