ESPN: Tracy Claeys: Gophers defense should improve

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

"We should be better than we were a year ago," Claeys told ESPN.com on Thursday. "We've improved every year we've been there, and I'll be disappointed if we don't improve more. We have the talent and the kids that want to put in the work.

"I'm excited about this coming fall."

Claeys also has high hopes for the linebackers. Although only one starter is back in Damien Wilson, De'Vondre Campbell logged significant time last season and Jack Lynn should have a greater role following a strong spring. Wilson, a junior-college transfer who led Minnesota with 79 tackles in 2013, is taking charge of the group.

"We need Damien to step up into more of a leadership role," Claeys said. "That's one thing that's hard on junior-college kids, the leadership in their first year. I think he'll be better at that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/101326/claeys-expects-gophers-defense-to-be-better

Go Gophers!!

I have really high hopes for the D. Run D scares me, but the pass rush should be good and the secondary has the potential to be as good as the Tyrone Carter era.

Not as improved as the O will be.

If we can maintain anything close to 25th best scoring defense and field an average offense we can make some noise this year, schedule be damned. Last year we had the D of a contender. I'm optimistic the offense should improve incrementally at least as much as the defense did. Certainly not expecting 25th best scoring offense with this system but somewhere in middle quartiles is feasible and enough to contend with strong D and special teams.

I haven't been this amped for a Gopher Football season in years. Probably since the Gary Russel Laurence Maroney days.

The bottom line on defense is points allowed. That has declined since Coach Kill arrived. Turnovers and defensive TD's have become a factor. Third down stops percentage has increased, and has been a critical improvement. Coach Claeys has it moving in the right direction. He may set down a standard for defense at Minnesota, I hope he gets it done.

The bottom line on defense is points allowed. That has declined since Coach Kill arrived. Turnovers and defensive TD's have become a factor. Third down stops percentage has increased, and has been a critical improvement. Coach Claeys has it moving in the right direction. He may set down a standard for defense at Minnesota, I hope he gets it done.
I love it when the D or ST scores. It's such a huge momentum shift. That is one area where Brewster's teams really fell flat. Or maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

You clearly forgot this gem:

Wait, nevermind.
Ugh. No. To make matters worse, something similar happened to the late Gary Tinsely against Purdue in what would be Brewster's last game at the helm.

Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't. My count shows 8 D/ST TDs under Brewster from 2007-2010 (I included the Horton games too).
Kill's teams have 12 D/ST TDs through the first three years.

Ugh. No. To make matters worse, something similar happened to the late Gary Tinsely against Purdue in what would be Brewster's last game at the helm.

Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't. My count shows 8 D/ST TDs under Brewster from 2007-2010 (I included the Horton games too).
Kill's teams have 12 D/ST TDs through the first three years.
That does rank among my top 25 all-time gut wrenchers, but I think it is time to give Jamal a break.

That does rank among my top 25 all-time gut wrenchers, but I think it is time to give Jamal a break.

Showed that highlight to my son and wife. I called it the "Definition of Gopher Football". We haven't been that team under Kill, thank god.

My favorite part of that video is the shot of Coach at the end.

That one was right in front of our seats at the Dome. Ugh.

I prefer to remember good things. It's easier because there are fewer of them. :cool02:

At least we haven't had a guy run the wrong way.

Right?

in true Minnesota sports history fashion it involves the Yikes, one of only two instances in the NFL since WWII.

http://youtu.be/l1UZy7SSdDI

Timely turnovers, momentum changers. Several come to mind. It was UNLV and we lead 13-10 at half. Marcus Jones goes 98. UNLV is on the March. Settles for a field goal. Hageman blocks the kick and Shabazz goes 58 yards for a TD. UNLV again marches to the Minnesota 20 Briean Boddy Calhoun pick 6. Game over.

Northwestern always seemed to be able to make plays against us. But what I remember about that game was Hageman's interception. I think Manuel's pick 6 later sealed that game.

We stymied Nebraska with defense, and held the lead.

That is what defense is all about. Holding the opponent to a punt or turnover.

It hurts to watch that one again, still can't believe that happened.

Seen that clip tons of times (and of course witnessed the play live as well). Still can't believe that actually happened but it certainly did sum up Gopher football in a lot of ways during those years.

Top Bottom