ESPN: Tigers, Gophers can prove they belong

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

In some ways, this is a fitting finale for Missouri and Minnesota programs that won consistently throughout the season, but mostly failed to capture the nation's attention. They're playing in an afternoon time slot on New Year's Day -- which is nearly as good as it gets in terms of postseason positioning -- and yet a significant portion of the game will air head-to-head against games (Michigan State-Baylor and Auburn-Wisconsin) that are simply more interesting to most fans.

Oddly enough, their mutual uninterestingness might be the most compelling thing about this Citrus Bowl. The Tigers and Gophers both face a bit of a perception problem, and this game provides an opportunity to prove which team is more deserving of a Jan. 1 showcase. As of now, they both have holes in their résumés.

Otherwise, fair or unfair, Minnesota is generally viewed as a better-than-average team in the worst Power 5 conference. Which fits nicely alongside an opponent like Missouri, the most successful program in the SEC division that doesn't matter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/113290/tigers-gophers-can-prove-they-belong

Go Gophers!!

After reading Cheng's (he's an Auburn grad) comment that the B1G is the worst Power 5 conference, I might put away my Wisconsin hatred and root for the Badgers to beat the Tigers.

After reading Cheng's (he's an Auburn grad) comment that the B1G is the worst Power 5 conference, I might put away my Wisconsin hatred and root for the Badgers to beat the Tigers.

I think he was saying that the perception whether true or false is that Minnesota is an above average team in the worst power 5 conference. He probably does believe that though.

Top Bottom