ESPN: The joy, hope and enduring appeal of bad college football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

JERRY KILL CONSIDERS himself something of a Mr. Fix-It for programs in need of a serious overhaul, the college football equivalent of an HGTV host who must convince an overwhelmed couple that the crumbling mess they just took out a mortgage to buy can, with a little hard work and the right crew of contractors, become a dream home. He's renovated places like Northern Illinois and Minnesota before, and he likes the reputation.

Still, when Kill took the job of head coach at woeful New Mexico State last year, it didn't seem like a renovation job. More like a dare.

"I had coaches tell me I was crazy," Kill said.

The concern was well-founded. In the previous 60 years, the Aggies made it to exactly one bowl game. The budget, facilities and fan engagement were abysmal. The team was bad -- going 3-9 or worse nine times since 2008 -- and recruiting to New Mexico was difficult. There were plans to join Conference USA, but at the moment, New Mexico State was muddling through as an independent.

"I was told there's no way to win there, and this was the worst program in the country," Kill said. "I thought, 'Hey, those are the kinds of challenges I like.'"

At its heart, the joy of watching bad college football is rooted in the same passion that drove Kill to take the New Mexico State job. For Kill, turning abject failure into something approaching coherence is actually fun. That's more or less the same reason so many fans tune in for Tuesday night MAC-tion or Pac-12 After Dark. There's joy in finding something awful and sticking with it long enough to see what happens next because, particularly in college football, the possibilities seem endless. And if, against all odds, something magical does happen, we can say we knew it all along.

Kill's dream home is still in the early stages of construction, but the job has been unquestionably rewarding. Walls are starting to go up. The foundation has been laid, and he's starting the frame. He can see the progress.

"Everybody wants to see an underdog get going," Kill said. "And they'll watch to see if it can be sustained. You know, it takes a little time to build a house, and we're planning to build a big one."

Go Gophers!!

that may very well be Jer's niche - as the "fixer" who can come into a struggling program and right the ship.

It's a tough way to go, but I believe him when he says he likes it.

the question is sustainability. didn't get a chance to see what he would have done long-term at MN due to his health. we'll see if he sticks around NMSU long enough to find out.

That's more or less the same reason so many fans tune in for Tuesday night MAC-tion or Pac-12 After Dark. There's joy in finding something awful...
OUCH! Did they really need to say it like that? I get that ESPN wants to promote it's SEC brand, but man, that's mean.

I felt like I was reading the same quotes he said when hired at MN.

I felt like I was reading the same quotes he said when hired at MN.
He is who he is and knows what he knows

He did a lot of heavy lifting after the Brew debacle and made the job attractive enough for Fleck. Fleck doesn’t come here IMO if he was in Kills spot.

Kill is like your Uncle whose a little off, but when u get older, you realize he was more on then you imagined.

Top Bottom