ESPN: Steve Alford embarks on make-or-break season at UCLA

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Critics chided Steve's son, Bryce Alford, for his role in the team's struggles. Fans also complained about the recruits Steve Alford couldn't snag and the drama tied to his controversial $10.4 million (now $7.8 million) buyout. Plus, the Bruins lost to rival USC three times last season and failed to make a postseason appearance.

So it's not surprising that many Bruins backers want Alford out, and they point to his 65-38 record over his first three seasons -- the worst overall winning percentage by a UCLA coach in the post-Wooden era.

"I gotta get out of the office because you'll go stir crazy," Alford told ESPN.com in July. "Golf is a release and whatever it is, just getting away."

But he can't just blaze up the 405 North to elude the serious questions about his job status and its tie to a UCLA squad stacked with a top-five recruiting class and capable veterans.

Is Steve Alford's job on the line this season? If it is, can he save it?

"If you give a public vote of confidence, people will say it's the kiss of the death," athletic director Dan Guerrero said. "If you don't -- it is a Catch-22. The bottom line is Steve, in many respects, is still establishing his program. I'm certainly not going to publicly proclaim anything. But I expect us to compete. And Steve expects us to compete."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...a-bruins-coach-steve-alford-make-break-season

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom