ESPN: Source: Louisville recruits told NCAA about sex, stripper parties

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Whether his own decision or not, I can't see Pitino coaching Louisville in the Fall.

per ESPN:

At least three former University of Louisville men's basketball recruits have confirmed to NCAA investigators that they attended parties inside an on-campus dorm where strippers danced for them and prostitutes were paid to have sex with them, a source close to the NCAA investigation told Outside the Lines.

The source said the three former Louisville recruits met with NCAA investigators in October and November. Chuck Smrt, the person hired by the University of Louisville to monitor the progress of the NCAA's investigation, also attended those meetings.

"There's no question this stuff happened," the source said. "There's no question the people at the University of Louisville know this happened. Katina Powell is not an admirable person, but she told the truth."

A person familiar with the NCAA enforcement process told Outside the Lines that, based on the statements from the three players to the NCAA, the Louisville program might have violated NCAA rules on impermissible benefits to players and/or shown a lack of institutional control. "If you've got three [recruits], that's a slam dunk" to put together a case, the source said. "That's the enforcement staff's dream."

"It's a pathetic story," the source said. "McGee gave the players a stack of dollar bills ranging from $200 to $500. Everybody in the room got the money -- the recruits and the current members of the team. Not only that, but McGee himself had his own stack of dollar bills. If this guy's spending $2,000 to $3,000 on a recruiting weekend, where's this money coming from?"

When asked about the degree to which Pitino has taken responsibility for the issues within his program, the source with knowledge of the NCAA investigation told ESPN: "He's not accepting any responsibility over several years. This is not a guy who is turning his head to academic fraud; this is much worse than that. If any other coach was connected to this story, by now he'd have already been fired."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...gators-attended-stripper-parties-had-sex-them

Go Gophers!!

Chuck Smrt, the person hired by the University of Louisville to monitor the progress of the NCAA's investigation, also attended those meetings.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...gators-attended-stripper-parties-had-sex-them

Go Gophers!!

10915400.jpg

Sent from my keyboard using fingers.

This UL story really shows ESPN and the general media's policy of "it depends if we like you"

Not saying the scandals are of similar severity and so you could certainly have different levels of criticism. But Roy Williams and UNC were celebrated by ESPN last night. Lavished with praise and compliment. In the middle of an investigation on academic fraud. No criticism of the coach at all.

Meanwhile, Rick Pitino is in his own investigation and ESPN can't figure out why he still has a job.

I'd argue both certainly deserve criticism, albeit Pitino probably more of it. But to be running around giving Roy praise right now is kind of pathetic.

Rick Pitino: SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED YESTERDAY! HES A DISGRACE!

Roy Williams:

Attachments

• image-1514853328.jpg
    image-1514853328.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 73

This UL story really shows ESPN and the general media's policy of "it depends if we like you"

Not saying the scandals are of similar severity and so you could certainly have different levels of criticism. But Roy Williams and UNC were celebrated by ESPN last night. Lavished with praise and compliment. In the middle of an investigation on academic fraud. No criticism of the coach at all.

I'm sure there's an element of truth to that, but a story involving recruits and the school paying for strippers and sex is far more salacious than 18 years of sham classes and will always attract more attention.

I'm sure there's an element of truth to that, but a story involving recruits and the school paying for strippers and sex is far more salacious than 18 years of sham classes and will always attract more attention.

From the media yes. From the NCAA, no. They should be treated the same. But we already know nothing will happen to UNC. It's already over...

From the media yes. From the NCAA, no. They should be treated the same. But we already know nothing will happen to UNC. It's already over...

What do you mean nothing will happen to UNC? The NCAA is about to put Cleveland State on probation for what happened at UNC...

I don't know how the Louisville story plays out without Richard's name getting attached to it. $2-3K per recruiting weekend and all of the logistics involved in getting a bunch of hookers to show up where the recruits and players are hanging out meant that it was not a rogue operation. If it was an integral part of Louisville's recruiting operation then everybody had to know about it. Ol' Norwood will have a negative impact on this university for years to come.

I don't know how the Louisville story plays out without Richard's name getting attached to it. $2-3K per recruiting weekend and all of the logistics involved in getting a bunch of hookers to show up where the recruits and players are hanging out meant that it was not a rogue operation. If it was an integral part of Louisville's recruiting operation then everybody had to know about it. Ol' Norwood will have a negative impact on this university for years to come.

Really? Getting some booster that owns a car dealership to give cash and hiring a couple of hookers requires more than one or two people be involved? I have no knowledge of the Louisville situation and who knew what but it isn't a stretch to say that one recruiting coordinator handled all the cash and made the arrangements.

Really? Getting some booster that owns a car dealership to give cash and hiring a couple of hookers requires more than one or two people be involved? I have no knowledge of the Louisville situation and who knew what but it isn't a stretch to say that one recruiting coordinator handled all the cash and made the arrangements.

I hope you are right but this seems like the kind of a recruiting "tool" that everybody in a position of authority had to know about. Don't you think the assistant coaches who were out recruiting had to be selling a campus visit by telling the prospects what an amazing weekend they would have in L-ville?

Man all I wanted from the DIII schools recruiting me back in the day was a $500 alumni referral scholarship. Kids are so spoiled now.

I would have lumped Rick Pitino into the group of people that ESPN defends, protects, and praises. Did I miss something? Is it just that there's an OTL investigation? OTL did a lot of work on the UNC academic scandal too. I think ESPN actually provides OTL some journalistic freedoms allowing the execs to sleep at night. All the while people like Bilas and Greenberg fall all over themselves to tell you how awesome Pitino, Williams, and Boeheim are.

This is similar to the NFL. If OTL investigates the NFL on the subject of concussions or something it's OK. But if big name talent denigrates the NFL they get suspended.

I'd also add that this is where the NCAA's new accountability rules really show their value. Whereas previously Pitino would have been able to disavow all of this, it now doesn't matter. The coach is responsible for the program being clean, period. Those vacated final fours would have affected Calipari under current rules.

There is a Grand Jury investigating the Louisville situation. The NC situation is a tougher nut to crack without NCAA ability to compel testimony. But the NCAA knows their fragile reputation is on the line so wait until after March and old Roy retires.

Top Bottom