ESPN says our most important game is at Iowa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Most important game: Sept. 29 at Iowa

Why it's important: We're not exactly in the midst of a golden age of Minnesota football, but the Gophers have done pretty well lately when it comes to the bronzed pig. They've won two straight Floyd of Rosedale trophies, including last year's 22-21 upset in Minneapolis. The Iowa rivalry is always going to be one of the most important games on the schedule, and this year I think it could have a big impact on how Jerry Kill's second season winds up. Here's why: Minnesota has four winnable games in the nonconference schedule, starting at UNLV and including home games against New Hampshire, Western Michigan and Syracuse. While those aren't guaranteed victories in any sense, if the Gophers improve on the progress they made late last season, they certainly could begin the season 4-0 or 3-1 at worst. Then comes the Big Ten opener at Iowa. Going to Kinnick Stadium will be no cakewalk, but the Gophers surely have confidence against the Hawkeyes after the past two years. If MarQueis Gray and Minnesota can manage to keep Floyd for a third straight year, then all of a sudden a bowl game looks like a real possibility in 2012. That would represent a huge step forward for Kill and this program. Throw in the fact that a Gophers win would send Iowa fans into an early-season panic, and it becomes that much sweeter -- and important.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/51061/most-important-game-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Wait a second. A journalist (albeit a terrible one) thinks that the Gophers have a decent shot to be 4-0 heading into Iowa City? I thought the only ones who thought that was even remotely possible were "The Kool-Aid Sect".

Winning the " Pig" for 3 straight years and starting ( can we hope) 5-0 would raise some eyebrows of the casual fan. Would that lead too " Joe Casual" checking the Gophers out? Maybe, maybe not. If you have a 5-0 Gopher team versus an 0-4 Purple team it would be interesting to see if the next home game would be close to selling out. We need the on the fence fan to become Gopher fans.

Ruppert; How much signage/promotional Gopher material do you see in the Brainerd/Nisswa area.

Here in the Alex area I see a few Gopher hats or sweatshirts, but that's it.

"Most important game: Sept. 29 at Iowa.."

If they get through the Non-Conference games unscathed that's probably right.

Winning the " Pig" for 3 straight years and starting ( can we hope) 5-0 would raise some eyebrows of the casual fan. Would that lead too " Joe Casual" checking the Gophers out? Maybe, maybe not. If you have a 5-0 Gopher team versus an 0-4 Purple team it would be interesting to see if the next home game would be close to selling out. We need the on the fence fan to become Gopher fans.

I don't know when people will get it through their heads. This mythical crossover Gophers/Vikings fan is almost non-existent. People who are huge fans of both (huge enough to potentially buy tickets and attend games) are almost non-existent. I know dozens, if not hundreds, of people my age who are U alums and huge football fans. Almost all are enormous Vikings fans, watch every second of every game, and attend anywhere from 1-3 Vikings games per season. I can count on one hand (with myself taking up one finger) the number of those people (who are all, once again, U alums) who have attended even one Gopher football game in the past 10 years.

Worry about the Gophers winning some f'ing games. Don't pretend that the Vikings sucking (or the now-extinct dream of them leaving town) is going to be the magical elixir for the Gophers gaining relevance.

I don't know when people will get it through their heads. This mythical crossover Gophers/Vikings fan is almost non-existent. People who are huge fans of both (huge enough to potentially buy tickets and attend games) are almost non-existent. I know dozens, if not hundreds, of people my age who are U alums and huge football fans. Almost all are enormous Vikings fans, watch every second of every game, and attend anywhere from 1-3 Vikings games per season. I can count on one hand (with myself taking up one finger) the number of those people (who are all, once again, U alums) who have attended even one Gopher football game in the past 10 years.

Worry about the Gophers winning some f'ing games. Don't pretend that the Vikings sucking (or the now-extinct dream of them leaving town) is going to be the magical elixir for the Gophers gaining relevance.

Once again I am in complete agreement with dpodoll68 in the Vikings/Gophers relationship. An 0-4 Purple start isn't going to be a game changer. The only game changer that is left (after the pipe dream of the Vikes leaving) is for the Gophers to win big and do it consistently.

WIN BIG and the rest takes care of itself. Nothing. Else. Matters.

Go Gophers!!

Wrong. A combo of the Gophers winning and Vikes sucking will do a lot for the program. KFAN, which has a listening base which has the station make up their minds often, will be talking up the Gophers and ripping on the Vikes. That alone will create interest.

Once again I am in complete agreement with dpodoll68 in the Vikings/Gophers relationship. An 0-4 Purple start isn't going to be a game changer. The only game changer that is left (after the pipe dream of the Vikes leaving) is for the Gophers to win big and do it consistently.

WIN BIG and the rest takes care of itself. Nothing. Else. Matters.

Go Gophers!!

If nothing else matters then let's quite complaining about the marketing dept, the ticket office, the concessions and the game-day atmosphere. Hell, even if the Gophers should have moved back on campus.

When you're that far behind in the popularity poll, every little bit helps.

Wrong. A combo of the Gophers winning and Vikes sucking will do a lot for the program. KFAN, which has a listening base which has the station make up their minds often, will be talking up the Gophers and ripping on the Vikes. That alone will create interest.

Silly. People don't follow the Vikings because of KFAN. Also, KFAN rips the Vikings constantly. Apparently you don't listen.

If nothing else matters then let's quite complaining about the marketing dept, the ticket office, the concessions and the game-day atmosphere. Hell, even if the Gophers should have moved back on campus.

I think this is true when you look high level. But on the micro level (i.e. attendance mid season this year) the Vikes doing poorly and the Gophers starting strong won't suddenly result in massive attendance changes for games against Northwestern (or Purdue).

And even though all these things matter, the only one of them that you list that has the power to produce a quick change in overall ticket sales on a year by year basis is winning bigger and more consistently. Unless the Aspire folks are sales dynamos of unmatched power of course.

Marketing, ticket office, concessions, etc. aren't game changes. I agree every little bit helps, game day experience, better tailgating, etc., but at the end of the day, we have one material difference maker left in our arsenal: WINNING BIG.

Go Gophers!!

Wait a second. A journalist (albeit a terrible one) thinks that the Gophers have a decent shot to be 4-0 heading into Iowa City? I thought the only ones who thought that was even remotely possible were "The Kool-Aid Sect".

Where does he even come close to saying "a {decent shot} to be 4-0," Choo Choo Cherry?

I don't think the Gophers winning will change the alliance of Vikings fans from the Vikes to the Gophers. The Gophers winning will sway the agnostic fan who is looking for a bandwagon to jump on. There are plenty of those fans in this state.

I don't think the Gophers winning will change the alliance of Vikings fans from the Vikes to the Gophers. The Gophers winning will sway the agnostic fan who is looking for a bandwagon to jump on. There are plenty of those fans in this state.

The StarTrib had a story earlier this year, about the number of people in the Metro Area that were from somewhere else. The number was closer to 50% then zero. If they're from a neighboring state they can all have colleges in their home state that they can follow but only Wisconsin has a Pro Football team. Many of the other states have TV stations that call the Vikings their "Home Team". That isn't going to change.

Now does anybody have any thoughts about the O.P. ?

I think this is true when you look high level. But on the micro level (i.e. attendance mid season this year) the Vikes doing poorly and the Gophers starting strong won't suddenly result in massive attendance changes for games against Northwestern (or Purdue).

And even though all these things matter, the only one of them that you list that has the power to produce a quick change in overall ticket sales on a year by year basis is winning bigger and more consistently. Unless the Aspire folks are sales dynamos of unmatched power of course.

I didn't list that.:)

That is what I am saying. There are plenty of football fans out there who will follow the team that it is cool to follow. Which is usually the winning team.

Dead on. All things need to be done to market, sell, make game-day atmosphere improvements ...etc. Winning is the long-term answer. I am glad the U is not waiting for things to get completely turned and are more aggresively going to do something about it.

All things need to be done to market, sell, make game-day atmosphere improvements ...etc.

Related to this...while I do think all these factors play in to improving attendance, I also see gameday atmosphere, concessions, interactions with ticket office, etc as the sort of customer service factors that ultimately play as big of a (if not a bigger) role in maintaining attendance. In other words, if you excel in these areas it can help keep people coming because they love the experience and view is as a value outside of the teams record. Without excelling in these areas you make it possible for STH status to be too closely tied to on field performance. Nothing will replace on field performance as the primary driver (short of new generations of passionate alums who get tickets because "that's what you do" of course) but if you can introduce other variables to the decision then you make it easier to hold on to STH.

In the end, I might be hypothesizing about "on the margins" levels of ticket sales but when improvements in those areas will also coincide with a better experience for your existing STH then it makes it a goal worth pursuing.

A win at Iowa would be an important moment in the climb back to the top.

Assuming a 3-1, or 4-0 start, we'd be sitting at the start of big 10 season looking for 1-2 wins to get bowl eligible, a huge step in the right direction.

It would officially send Iowa into a freefall IMO. Ferentz needs to beat us and Iowa St. this season to quell the naysayers. Should he be removed I feel it would not only tip the balance of regional recruiting in our favor(And wisky, Illinois, NW, Purdue), but likely blow up the nice class they are building so far.

It continues our trend in the rivalry, which could get stretched out further should a coaching change be made.

Sitting 5-0 with Floyd comfortably in his Dinkytown case, and pitchforks/torches south of us, we'd be in a place few could have thought just a few short months ago(think 2nd half of the Michigan game)

That all said, let's hope Kill keeps the kids grinding and working towards that W and beyond. AKA shut up and do it!

I think this needs to be broken into two categories: Most important non-conference game and most important conference game.

I would agree that Iowa is our most important conference game. The most important non-conference game is UNLV, and it's not even close. The result will set the tone for the season.

Just because you know "dozens of people" who would not switch from the Vikings to the Gophers doesn't mean no one would. If this was someone else's argument for another topic, you would be on their throat before they could click submit. I know a bunch of casual fans of both the Vikes and Gophs who would rather go to whoever is the better team. You're off your rocker if you don't think the gophers would see at least a slight bump in attendance if the Vikings blow and the Gophers start hot (especially a 5-0 start). The stadium isn't going to fill up over night, you need to win small pockets of fans at a time.

Then again..I think your off your rocker

Just because you know "dozens of people" who would not switch from the Vikings to the Gophers doesn't mean no one would. If this was someone else's argument for another topic, you would be on their throat before they could click submit.

Wrong. I've related this personal experience multiple times before, and many have agreed with me and said their experience is the same. If anyone out there is a U alum and has a group of friends/acquaintances (all U alums) with a larger following of Gopher fans than Viking fans contained therein, I invite them to post it here.

*crickets*

Where does he even come close to saying "a {decent shot} to be 4-0," Choo Choo Cherry?

"While those aren't guaranteed victories in any sense, if the Gophers improve on the progress they made late last season, they certainly could begin the season 4-0 or 3-1 at worst." How's that retard?

"While those aren't guaranteed victories in any sense, if the Gophers improve on the progress they made late last season, they certainly could begin the season 4-0 or 3-1 at worst." How's that retard?

Don't waste your time on him.

Silly. People don't follow the Vikings because of KFAN. Also, KFAN rips the Vikings constantly. Apparently you don't listen.

KFAN does rip the Vikings, but not on a conisistent level (PA) like the do the Gophers...although I am not sure they deserve to be given the Gophers ineptitude.

Barreiro is the most consistent across the board. No one gets the benefit of the doubt.

Wrong. I've related this personal experience multiple times before, and many have agreed with me and said their experience is the same. If anyone out there is a U alum and has a group of friends/acquaintances (all U alums) with a larger following of Gopher fans than Viking fans contained therein, I invite them to post it here.

*crickets*

Yeah we know.

Your experience is one small sample size. Talk about blinders.

Many people disagree with you. And why are U alums all that count as Gopher fans in your world?

And why are U alums all that count as Gopher fans in your world?

Where did I say that?

Does anyone disagree that, of any given sample size on Earth, that University of Minnesota alumni are, by far, the most likely to be Gopher fans? Given how difficult it is to even get Gopher students to come to the games, let alone alumni, why would we expect random, non-alumni fans to suddenly become Gopher fans if the Vikings continue to play poorly?

Your experience is one small sample size. Talk about blinders.

Yes, and I've invited others to share contrarian sample sizes. *crickets*

Many people disagree with you.

In terms of having enormous numbers of die-hard Gopher football fans/ticket holders in their circle of friends? Where are they?

My 2 cents on the 2nd direction of the thread. Vikes vs Gophs.

Vikings are king in this town. It absolutely is that way. They get the coverage, they get the hype, they get the scrutiny. no doubt in my mind there are more Viking fans graduating from the U than Gopher fans.

It's incredibly sad and has mostly to do with our absolutely inept administration going back to the 70's when football was basically demoted and defunded. Then followed through with the move to the dome which made the Gophers a minor league Vikings team in alot of people's minds.
Then the ineptitude set in, briefly halting for Holtz as he passed through on on his way to ND. Continued ineptitude until Mason when the ineptitude became mediocrity.
Through the Brewster years when ineptitude became frustratingly embarrassing, and into the new stadium which SHOULD have allowed for fresh blood, ideas, perception of the local college team. Enter dumbass administration again to ruin it all.

There's a VERY VERY simple way to make a power grab on Viking fans, and gain popular opinion, following, diehards, hype, etc.
1)Win
2)Allow TCF Bank stadium to become a college stadium, gameday, atmosphere. It is simply a neutered pro sports atmosphere right now. The only difference between it and the dome is a roof and lack of beer in the local Vikings fan's eyes'.

Let the kids party hard on university, make the tailgate lots first come, first served, encourage the kids to be loud, rowdy, and be loose with restrictions and rules.
Win and make it a party, like most college games are, and those Viking fans will come to see the wins, and stay for the party. Eventually they'll just get used to being a Gopher fan and the transition is complete.

Top Bottom