ESPN: Ron Gardenhire retires immediately to focus on health

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Ron Gardenhire mostly maintained his jovial demeanor this season. As recently as Friday night, he was needling a reporter while discussing a strategic decision from the late innings.

Less than 24 hours later, Gardenhire announced his retirement. This year was taking more of a toll on the 62-year-old Detroit Tigers manager than he'd necessarily let on.

As much as he enjoyed managing, Gardenhire valued his health more.

"It's been wonderful here, but I also know I have to take care of myself," said Gardenhire, who was nearing the end of his third season with the Tigers. "When you come to the ballpark, and you're stressed out all day, and your hands are shaking, that's not fun. I've got grandbabies; I've got kids that I need to take care of, and my wife."

Win Twins!!

Compared to Rocco's "too cool for school" attitude, give me Gardy all red-faced and going after the Umpire.

Somewhere in the middle? Gardie’s contrived meltdowns were a little too scripted for my taste
Tom Kelly had it right: pick your spots; then they know they really messed up when you get in their face.

Tom Kelly had it right: pick your spots; then they know they really messed up when you get in their face.
Hmm. I'm not sure about that. TK got ejected like 5 times total in 15 years. That's not really a middle ground vs. Gardy getting kicked out 5 times per year.

Top Bottom