ESPN: Ranking every World Series in MLB history (#56. 1987, #32. 1965 #2. 1991)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

56. 1987: Twins over Cardinals in seven
Series leverage: 22nd
Game leverage: 91st

The home team won every game in this series, a fitting conclusion to a season in which the Twins went 56-25 at home (a .691 winning percentage) and 29-52 on the road (.358). "I don't mind losing the seventh game of the World Series," Whitey Herzog said, but you can choose not to believe him. "If I can do that for the rest of my life, I'll be satisfied."

32. 1965: Dodgers over Twins in seven
Series leverage: 57th
Game leverage: 113th

Remembered for two things. One is Sandy Koufax sitting out Game 1 for Yom Kippur, an incredible statement of the "it's just a game" truth we all strive to keep in mind. The other is Koufax's pitching in Games 2, 5 and 7: one earned run allowed in 24 innings, with 29 strikeouts and a shutout in the clinching Game 7.

2. 1991: Twins over Braves in seven
Series leverage: 3rd
Game leverage: 6th

Tom Kelly wanted to pull Jack Morris before the 10th inning of Game 7. Morris wanted to stay in. Kelly consulted the pitching coach, who said Morris might as well keep going. "OK," Kelly said. "It's just a game."

Win Twins!!

1. 1975: Reds over Red Sox in seven
Series leverage: 1st
Game leverage: 5th

The story goes that the iconic shot of Carlton Fisk waving his Game 6 home run to stay fair was an accident. The cameraman, Louis Gerard, was supposed to follow the ball. But he told his producer he couldn't, that there was "a rat on my leg that's as big as a cat. It's staring me in the face." So he just kept the camera on Fisk, a shot out of character with broadcasts of the time but one that turned out to be revolutionary. "Before Game 6, there was no such thing as a reaction shot," the Boston Globe reported. "Cameramen followed the action, focusing on the trajectory of a hit ball or a thrown pass or a shot. Forever after, there would be the isolation shot, looking for the reaction of the athlete to what happened."

In that way, the 1975 World Series made every World Series that followed better. Buckner, Carter, Gibson, Bumgarner, Mo, Papi, all the way to Howie Kendrick: The biggest moments now immerse us in them, overpower us with the emotions of them. Fisk's home run raised everything that followed. But still, nothing that followed could top it.

2. 1991: Twins over Braves in seven
Series leverage: 3rd
Game leverage: 6th

Tom Kelly wanted to pull Jack Morris before the 10th inning of Game 7. Morris wanted to stay in. Kelly consulted the pitching coach, who said Morris might as well keep going. "OK," Kelly said. "It's just a game."

Win Twins!!
Gotta love TK.

Top Bottom