ESPN: Nick Saban votes Oklahoma State No. 4

ESPN is fishing a little on this one. Story doesn't say that his vote cost Oklahoma State the number 2 spot in the final BCS standings. If anything Saban should have known the vote would go public so he probably should have just gone with the popular opinion and put OSU 3 behind LSU and Alabama. It would have been more of a story if he had ranked them outside the top 10 or even as low as 5th or 6th. But even then I doubt that would have changed the way the BCS computers spit out the final rankings. Even though the margin between OSU and Bama was small I'm pretty sure one spot in the polls by one coach would not be enough to change the outcome.

ESPN is fishing a little on this one. Story doesn't say that his vote cost Oklahoma State the number 2 spot in the final BCS standings. If anything Saban should have known the vote would go public so he probably should have just gone with the popular opinion and put OSU 3 behind LSU and Alabama. It would have been more of a story if he had ranked them outside the top 10 or even as low as 5th or 6th. But even then I doubt that would have changed the way the BCS computers spit out the final rankings. Even though the margin between OSU and Bama was small I'm pretty sure one spot in the polls by one coach would not be enough to change the outcome.
If that one vote cost them not being high enough for #2 in that poll, yes it did more than likely cost them the BCS championship.

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference, has no business playing in the national championship." - Nick Saban in 2003

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference, has no business playing in the national championship." - Nick Saban in 2003
Should e-mail that to someone from ESPN.

If that one vote cost them not being high enough for #2 in that poll, yes it did more than likely cost them the BCS championship.

It didn't. Alabama was 18 points ahead of OSU in terms of points. From what I can tell it looks like you get 25 points for being ranked #1, 24 for #2 and so on down the line. Saban putting OSU in the #4 spot instead of #3 cost them 1 point and therefore would not have changed the outcome of the poll.

Now that is funny. Hopefully that quote will get plenty of air time between now and the NC game.

You can't blame the guy. It didn't end up being the deciding factor or anything, but a lot of money and program pride is on the line to get to that BCS Championship game.

I would hope my Coach would make a statement like that about BCS Championship games and conference championships, but not stand by it if he were in the exact same shoes.

Now that is funny. Hopefully that quote will get plenty of air time between now and the NC game.

It's funny in ironic sort of way. I think it shows Saban was overzealous with his initial opinion. You never know when you're going to walk in the other guys shoes.

Combine this with the fact that Missouri's coach voted Bama #2 over Okie St. That is the difference. I agree with Oregon > Iowa State.

“The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Troy Calhoun, wut? You ranked Stanford and Arkansas ahead of Oklahoma State? Oh, and Michigan at #8, and MSU at #14.

Troy Calhoun, wut? You ranked Stanford and Arkansas ahead of Oklahoma State? Oh, and Michigan at #8, and MSU at #14.
I still like Calhoun and that he votes what he believes. the guy is a great coach. He was my favorite last year, before we hired CKill( which I am extremely happy with by the way). Any coach who can build a competitive team out of the recruits Air Force gets, can coach anywhere.

The coaches shouldn't be voting. Period. They don't watch hardly any of the games and they have extreme bias. It was actually refreshing to hear Peterson from Boise State pretty much say just that, after explaining why he voted BSU as high as he did. OF COURSE he's going to do what's best for his school. Why not??

For the record, the moron from Madison ranked the Badgers 6th (ahead of Oregon), Michigan 9th, and the MSU team that ran up and down the field on the Badgers all the way down at 15th (behind TCU, Clemson, Va Tech).
http://host.madison.com/sports/blog...cle_d0fe8708-1f71-11e1-8296-0019bb2963f4.html

Also, Art Briles hates the Big Ten apparently.

#11 Michigan
#16 Wisconsin
#21 Michigan State
#22 Nebraska

No Penn State. Instead, he ranked Arkansas State in his top 25.

O State only has themselves to blame. You can't lose to Iowa State and expect to be in the championship in the current system. I don't think there is anything wrong with Saban putting them at #4, it's about the quality of losses.

I think it's legitimate to argue about the BCS system, but not Saban's vote.

O State only has themselves to blame. You can't lose to Iowa State and expect to be in the championship in the current system. I don't think there is anything wrong with Saban putting them at #4, it's about the quality of losses.

Why is it only about quality of losses? Quality of wins don't matter? Strength of schedule doesn't matter? Oklahoma St. played a much tougher schedule than Alabama, had more quality wins, and had better-quality wins.

The Big 12 has just as many teams in the current BCS Top 25 as the all-mighty SEC. The Big Ten actually has more.

Alabama played three teams this year in the current BCS Top 25, going 2-1.
Oklahoma St. went 3-0 in their games against Top 25 teams, plus beating Missouri who just dropped out of the Top 25.

Alabama has beaten just three FBS teams with a winning record. Oklahoma St. has beaten seven.

Oklahoma St. won their conference championship, Alabama didn't even play for it.

The only argument Alabama has is that they lost to a better team. Everything else points to Oklahoma St.

Gotta love it, nothing better to decide a championship is computers and people who don't even watch these teams play every week!

+1. Stanford has just as much arguement as Oklahoma St.

Throw them in a hat with Bama and they are all deserve a shot. That is a system issue, not the coaches vote problem.

Bama and Oklahoma State both beat 4 ranked teams at the time of the game. Baylor was not ranked when Oklahoma St. beat them. Both teams were ranked higher in all those games and should have won. Bama lost a game to #1 and Oklahoma St. lost to Iowa St. BCS got it right according to the system. Why is there a system that can be questioned is the real question.

Weird. It's almost as if voting for who plays in the National Championship game isn't the best approach. Perhaps we should start on thread on that.

Also, Art Briles hates the Big Ten apparently.

#11 Michigan
#16 Wisconsin
#21 Michigan State
#22 Nebraska

No Penn State. Instead, he ranked Arkansas State in his top 25.

I wouldn't have had any big ten teams in my top 10. I probably would have had Wisconsin in it going into the big ten title game. Would have moved them down after winning.

Penn state has two wins over teams with winning records this year. 13-3 over 7-5 Iowa and 14-10 over 8-4 temple. Their resume doesn't scream top 25 nor does the eye test. They are a mediocre football team who happened to miss the top two teams from the other division.

The big ten doesn't have any elite teams and they are ranked as such. They probably have 10 of the top 60. That doesn't make Wisconsin top 10.

This isn't even worth arguing about, since everyone is on the same page.

I look at the winner of the BCS "Championship" game as a very good team. By no means do I consider that team the CHAMPION, as not everyone has a chance. Until there is a playoff, I can't look objectively at any team an say it is the champion.

Why is it only about quality of losses? Quality of wins don't matter? Strength of schedule doesn't matter? Oklahoma St. played a much tougher schedule than Alabama, had more quality wins, and had better-quality wins.

How do you measure wins and losses? Simply by the teams record or does more things need to be considered. Was Florida the same 6-6 team when Alabama beat them early in the year? Should the OU win for Oklahoma State mean less because OU had two key offensive players injured?

This isn't even worth arguing about, since everyone is on the same page.

I look at the winner of the BCS "Championship" game as a very good team. By no means do I consider that team the CHAMPION, as not everyone has a chance. Until there is a playoff, I can't look objectively at any team an say it is the champion.

I both agree and completely disagree with this horrible sentiment.

For my money, LSU is the champion, regardless of outcome. They had the only perfect season, they win. I hate that Alabama has a shot at being the 'recognized' champion and Okie State doesn't, but I prefer this to a system that would be giving K-State, wisconsin and Oregon a chance at stealing the championship after multiple losses.

I truly hope the national championship game is as bad as the one I sat through the first time through. LSU wins 4-2. That would be worth watching...

Top Bottom