ESPN: Minnesota midseason review: Tracy Claeys keeps program moving forward

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The Minnesota Golden Gophers are smack dab in the middle of the pack.

And for a coach in his first full-time year, that’s not such a bad place to be right now as the Big Ten continues to get more and more competitive.

The Gophers have proven they can put points on the board. They are again a feisty, hard-nosed bunch on defense. And it’s essentially assured each week that every opponent is going to get the best effort from Tracy Claeys and Minnesota, though a scoring offense and defense with matching rankings of No. 7 in the Big Ten make it unlikely to truly threaten for a division or conference championship this season.

What to watch in the second half: Fair or not, the perception going into the season was Claeys was effectively getting an extended interim look to replace Jerry Kill -- with the relatively short length of the contract he signed to take over on a full-time basis a strong signal the program wasn’t yet fully ready to commit to the long haul. But Claeys has the Gophers in position to lock up a bowl bid by the end of October, and under his watch so far, it appears he has continued the fine work of his friend and predecessor. He will still be watched closely down the stretch, but at this point Minnesota should be pleased by what it has seen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...iew-tracy-claeys-keeps-program-moving-forward

Go Gophers!!

Obviously the writer doesn't read GH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That fine work has resulted in 3-9 in the past 12 B1G games, an empty trophy case, an 0-5 record against Wisconsin, a 2-4 record against Iowa, and one winning conference record in 5 years. A lot to be excited about in Gopherland!

...but at this point Minnesota should be pleased by what it has seen.

No. I would be pleased to be undefeated so far this season. That is where I expected them to be, and I'm disappointed with the 2 losses.

Taken literally, this is true.

Reminds me of the ESPN broadcast this last Saturday where we were informed that Maryland is the type of team that likes to score points.

That fine work has resulted in 3-9 in the past 12 B1G games, an empty trophy case, an 0-5 record against Wisconsin, a 2-4 record against Iowa, and one winning conference record in 5 years. A lot to be excited about in Gopherland!
LOL.

Taken literally, this is true.

Gophers have scored 30 or more points four times in six games. Last year they scored 30 or more points three times for the whole season.

No. I would be pleased to be undefeated so far this season. That is where I expected them to be, and I'm disappointed with the 2 losses.

So, you're very disappointed that they lost by a touchdown to the team that was the preseason pick to win the Western Conference and they lost in overtime at Penn State to a team that may very well end up with just three losses this year. Such misery.

Iowa is much worse than widely anticipated (although I've maintained they suck, even last year but were very, very lucky) and Penn State is better than anticipated with the emergence of a fine QB.

The problem with both games is we had them where we wanted them, and we let 'me off the hook. That's football. A game of inches and seconds.

So, you're very disappointed that they lost by a touchdown to the team that was the preseason pick to win the Western Conference and they lost in overtime at Penn State to a team that may very well end up with just three losses this year. Such misery.

Yep. I'm disappointed too. Any fan with a clue would be.

I think the writer ignores the rare confluence of events that makes this one of the easiest schedules in recent history - and the fact that the team blew 2 games that were winnable. Now, Iowa is a special case because most did not anticipate they would be this bad - but we should have won that game for the record, the trophy, and the recruiting perception which makes it extra important.

Also, I think as a Gopher fan, we are conditioned to know how the record will go the deeper we get into conference play. We can usually start out strong and build some confidence going into the season by steamrolling some patsies but we all know that we will struggle in conference to come up with 3 more wins to get bowl eligible. I think this season is no different - especially when we looked way less than dominant in the OOC games. On top of this, I think most are pretty disappointed in ML's play. The prospect of a seasoned senior starting with our weak schedule and the preseason hype regarding ML and the NFL gave a lot of people what turned out to be false hope.

But, I think most important is that the bloom is off TC at this point with the reality of this season. I think most on here are hoping for .500 at this point and probably expect blowout losses vs. Nebraska and WI - which will give us losses at Iowa, Nebraska, and WI in a season when some hoped we could win the West - and knowing it does not get any easier next year with a harder schedule, resurgent WI and Neb, and an untested QB. The thought of being 4th best in the weak sister division of the B1G is simply depressing.

At the end of the day, that is the joy of college football and the agony of being a Gopher fan. We are always hopeful entering the season based on the few nuggets we see from the prior season and knowing just about every other B1G team outside of Indiana has had at least 1 magical year since Y2K - heck, Illinois and Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl even and you can't say that we have less potential as a football power than either of those schools. The issue for me - outside of a truly great coach or 1 or 2 superstar recruits coming here at QB to give us a true competitive advantage - I just see more of the same for us. An empty trophy case and 4th place B1G west division finishes. I fear that the B1G adds Texas to the West after the B12 blows up and we will be relegated to 5th best team in the division.

I think the writer ignores the rare confluence of events that makes this one of the easiest schedules in recent history - and the fact that the team blew 2 games that were winnable. Now, Iowa is a special case because most did not anticipate they would be this bad - but we should have won that game for the record, the trophy, and the recruiting perception which makes it extra important.

Also, I think as a Gopher fan, we are conditioned to know how the record will go the deeper we get into conference play. We can usually start out strong and build some confidence going into the season by steamrolling some patsies but we all know that we will struggle in conference to come up with 3 more wins to get bowl eligible. I think this season is no different - especially when we looked way less than dominant in the OOC games. On top of this, I think most are pretty disappointed in ML's play. The prospect of a seasoned senior starting with our weak schedule and the preseason hype regarding ML and the NFL gave a lot of people what turned out to be false hope.

But, I think most important is that the bloom is off TC at this point with the reality of this season. I think most on here are hoping for .500 at this point and probably expect blowout losses vs. Nebraska and WI - which will give us losses at Iowa, Nebraska, and WI in a season when some hoped we could win the West - and knowing it does not get any easier next year with a harder schedule, resurgent WI and Neb, and an untested QB. The thought of being 4th best in the weak sister division of the B1G is simply depressing.

At the end of the day, that is the joy of college football and the agony of being a Gopher fan. We are always hopeful entering the season based on the few nuggets we see from the prior season and knowing just about every other B1G team outside of Indiana has had at least 1 magical year since Y2K - heck, Illinois and Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl even and you can't say that we have less potential as a football power than either of those schools. The issue for me - outside of a truly great coach or 1 or 2 superstar recruits coming here at QB to give us a true competitive advantage - I just see more of the same for us. An empty trophy case and 4th place B1G west division finishes. I fear that the B1G adds Texas to the West after the B12 blows up and we will be relegated to 5th best team in the division.

cool story man can you retype that in ~4 sentences appreciate it thanks again for you valued opinion on GH

"cool story man can you retype that in ~4 sentences appreciate it thanks again for you valued opinion on GH"

Short posts tend to be completely devoid of analysis or content. That is why you do not see research reports published in their entirety on Twitter. In the future, I will add "Beta Male Trigger Warning" so you are not confronted with posts that intimidate you based on size/complexity of thought.

"cool story man can you retype that in ~4 sentences appreciate it thanks again for you valued opinion on GH"

Short posts tend to be completely devoid of analysis or content. That is why you do not see research reports published in their entirety on Twitter. In the future, I will add "Beta Male Trigger Warning" so you are not confronted with posts that intimidate you based on size/complexity of thought.

ay you dont need to do that last thing but thanks for the offer i guess

What makes next year's schedule harder?

We will likely be 7-2 or 6-3 in a few weeks and our season-long over/under win total was either 6 or 6.5 wins... Should we all be disappointed the Penn State game and Iowa game didn't work out? Yes definitely - it kills me to think about what could have been.

Is the world ending? No. Get off your high horse and bring your expectations back to reality.

At the end of the day this team has a good chance to be 9-4. It sucks iowa and the pedophile state games didn't work out but part of having that special season is staying healthy and at times dumbluck.If we go 9-4 or even 10-3 when was the last time a first year coach had a winning record let alone a winning conference record here.Some of you wouldn't take that? As for next year Sparty doesn't look so formidable and we get them at home.Michigan will be tough.As usual the season will be defined by the Iowa Nebraska and Wisconsin

Expectations before the season couldn't factor in the suspended players. If Travis was in the PSU game at least one or two of the defensive busts don't occur and we win the game. I'm willing to let the full season play out before I give Tracy a grade. We need to win the next three games then see how we hold up over the last three games and a Bowl game. A 9-4 record with a Bowl win is very possible, a 10-3 record not outside the realm of possibility, 11-2 is a stretch even for me.

At the end of the day this team has a good chance to be 9-4. It sucks iowa and the pedophile state games didn't work out but part of having that special season is staying healthy and at times dumbluck.If we go 9-4 or even 10-3 when was the last time a first year coach had a winning record let alone a winning conference record here.Some of you wouldn't take that? As for next year Sparty doesn't look so formidable and we get them at home.Michigan will be tough.As usual the season will be defined by the Iowa Nebraska and Wisconsin

Not sure either of those things apply in the Penn State game and Iowa game, we just didn't play well in either of them and ended up with loses in very winnable games. The winning record thing is a little misleading as well because Claeys is not in the typical first year coach situation. Most first year head coaches inherit a rough situation and have to rebuild from the ground up. That was not the case for Claeys, he has had to change things (primarily on offense) but the overall vision is still the same as is most of the staff. They aren't trying to overhaul the roster or bring in their guys the way most new staffs have to, this was very much a continuation of what Kill was doing here.

So would I be happy to see us finish 9-4....of course but it would also be extremely frustrating to know that record could have been so much better if we had not blown those first 2 very winnable Big Ten games. On top of that there is more to it than just the record. There is a definite element of who you beat as well, we have 7 potential wins on our schedule against average to below average to extremely below average teams. You still have to go out and win those games but beating the likes of Oregon State, Colorado State, Indiana State, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue should not be seen as a major accomplishment for this program right now given where things are at. We need some quality wins in there and so far we are 0-2 in that department this year.

"If we go 9-4 or even 10-3 when was the last time a first year coach had a winning record let alone a winning conference record here."

I think you are counting chickens before they hatch by throwing out 9-4. If there is anything that Gopher football has taught me, we will drop easily winnable games. So, while I do think we lose to WI and Nebraska - I think there is at least 1 more loss in there and most likely 2. However, even at 9-4, we would finish 4th in our conference in a year when we had our best chance of winning the West given a seasoned QB. That seasoned QB regressed in the Iowa game so my hopes of beating WI or Nebraska are gone - I just hope we can win the winnable games and not get blow out vs. Nebraska and WI. If we get blown out and drop 1 or 2 of the winnable games, the wheels will come off the program. I should also add that the Vikes playing well could not have come at a worse time as far as football mindshare goes.

"If we go 9-4 or even 10-3 when was the last time a first year coach had a winning record let alone a winning conference record here."

I think you are counting chickens before they hatch by throwing out 9-4. If there is anything that Gopher football has taught me, we will drop easily winnable games. So, while I do think we lose to WI and Nebraska - I think there is at least 1 more loss in there and most likely 2. However, even at 9-4, we would finish 4th in our conference in a year when we had our best chance of winning the West given a seasoned QB. That seasoned QB regressed in the Iowa game so my hopes of beating WI or Nebraska are gone - I just hope we can win the winnable games and not get blow out vs. Nebraska and WI. If we get blown out and drop 1 or 2 of the winnable games, the wheels will come off the program. I should also add that the Vikes playing well could not have come at a worse time as far as football mindshare goes.

this is depressing to read dude why be a fan if you think like this - and there is a button you can press to quote people it looks more professional and smart than putting quotation marks around stuff the more you know

this is depressing to read dude why be a fan if you think like this - and there is a button you can press to quote people it looks more professional and smart than putting quotation marks around stuff the more you know

There are also keys on your phone or keyboard that allow you to capitalize words that should be capitalized. You could also familiarize yourself with the keys that insert punctuation marks. If you're using Chrome as your browser, it will also let you know when a word is misspelled or not in the dictionary. This may work in other browsers as well, but I use Chrome, so I'm most familiar with that browser.

When used properly, "it looks more professional and smart". The more you know.

Those that are down on the team and Coach Claeys and won't settle for anything less than 9 wins, please remember that the Gophers have only done that once in the history of the program (Mason had 10 wins in 2003). If you figure losses at WI and at NE, that's 8 wins and a bowl game, I'll take that. Would I like us to win all the games and be ranked? Yes. Would I like us to win all the trophies? Yes. But realistically, this is how we all expected this season to play out.

Those that are down on the team and Coach Claeys and won't settle for anything less than 9 wins, please remember that the Gophers have only done that once in the history of the program (Mason had 10 wins in 2003). If you figure losses at WI and at NE, that's 8 wins and a bowl game, I'll take that. Would I like us to win all the games and be ranked? Yes. Would I like us to win all the trophies? Yes. But realistically, this is how we all expected this season to play out.

I shared this in a different thread, but the Gophers have won 9 or more games 7 times, and have won 10 or more games 4 times.

Everyone expected to compete for the west championship including Clayes. Finishing 3rd or 4th in the west is not competing for a championship. The last three games of the year will tell the story.

No man you gotta set expectations in your head based on how much mediocrity you are willing to accept and just apply it to the team.... for reasons.

Top Bottom