ESPN: Losing the league opener isn’t enough to knock Minn out of the division race

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

What the loss means for Minnesota: Losing the league opener isn’t enough to knock them out of the division race, but with the offense struggling mightily, the Gophers are going to have a hard time living up to their dark-horse status in the West. Mitch Leidner is a respected leader and a tough guy at quarterback, but his limitations as a passer are clearly hampering the Minnesota attack and putting too much pressure on a talented defense working with almost no margin for error. There might not be an easy fix, which doesn’t bode well with a tough schedule looming.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...ense-shuts-out-minnesota-to-open-big-ten-play

Go Gophers!!

While it is true that the loss won't bury us, Northwestern looks like the real deal this year so losing to them is a double whammy as it is a conference loss and a loss to a team that we will most likely be up against for the West title, assuming of course that we can stay in the race.

Hard to see the Gophers running against Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin or even Nebraska. If Croft can pass and doesn't get killed trying, Gophers might win enough for a 6-6 season. West title not in the cards this year.

How about just a bowl win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to see the Gophers running against Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin or even Nebraska. If Croft can pass and doesn't get killed trying, Gophers might win enough for a 6-6 season. West title not in the cards this year.

I agree that 6-6, the lowliest of Big Ten bowls, and preparation for next year are probably the best outcomes this team can hope for. However, to end up 6-6 this team will have to beat one of the teams you list above (they're not going to beat Ohio State after all). My guess is that Nebraska is the likeliest candidate although Wisconsin on the last day of the season might be possible.

Thanks for the warm fuzzies ESPN but it's over.

Thanks for the warm fuzzies ESPN but it's over.

Yes it is. The sooner the coaches face that and act accordingly the better the remainder of the season will be. I'm concerned that they won't change much and will remain on a desperate quest to win three more games.

Top Bottom