espn insiders posting

jrb27

Reaction score
this is what espn insiders is sayin

Still nothing concrete on the coaching front, but there is plenty of chatter out there. On Friday we told you about one report that Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo had interviewed at Minnesota and was a finalist for the position, but Middies SID Scott Strasemeier told Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune: "I can say this unequivocally, directly from the coach: Coach has not been interviewed by Minnesota, nor by any other school. And we have not been contacted by anybody about interviewing him."

The latter is of course a courtesy and not a requirement, but the former certainly sounds pretty definitive.

Three other developments, all courtesy of Marcus Fuller of the St. Paul Pioneer Press: 1) WCCO radio in Minneapolis reports that Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst interviewed for the Gophers job on Thursday. 2) Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith wants his former SEC cohort Phil Fulmer to get the job. 3) Not sure what to make of this: "Word is former Notre Dame and Minnesota coach Lou Holtz is interested in returning to U as well." Huh?

Here's an update on Houston's Kevin Sumlin, once thought to be the Gophers' top target, from 1500 ESPN's Darren Wolfson: "From a Sumlin source: If he were the guy, it would've been done by now. If he gets it, Maturi circled back after a few said no." And: "This source said Sumlin still possible, but it'll cost the 'U.'"

Finally, absent a real announcement, there is this from Matt O'Connell of GopherIllustrated: "I have a good feeling for the first time all week. They are close I believe. My guess is (Temple coach Al) Golden, but can't confirm yet." This, of course, despite an OwlSports.com report that we told you about which said that Golden was not a candidate at Minnesota, Indiana or Vanderbilt.

Top Bottom