ESPN Insider: Kill's timetable...

Jessica Alba Fan Club

Resident Patrick Bateman
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted...

from EPSN Insider Rumor Central:
Will it take a long time or short time for new coach Jerry Kill to turn Minnesota into a winner. According to this story in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Kill is backtracking slightly.

"After spending eight months traveling the state to whip up enthusiasm for his downtrodden football program, Jerry Kill has succeeded in convincing much of Minnesota that he can restore a winner to the state's largest university. Maybe he's succeeded a little too well, actually. So as he prepared for his first training camp as Gophers coach -- a month of workouts commence Monday afternoon -- Kill offered a reminder of what's to come: Losses, probably," The Star says.

Minnesota did go 3-9 last season. And in Kill's first year at Southern Illinois, he went 1-10. And then the rebuilding process went well underway and he started winning, and winning big.

"That was the worst year of my life, that 1-10 season, but it's probably the best coaching job we ever did," Kill told the Star-Tribune. "We're going to do it right. I may get hit in the head the first few years, but I'm not going to bend off what works."

We'll see how much the players buy into the system including working out hard in the off season. If people do that, listen and then produce in practice, then we will get better faster. Its going to be up to the players to respond as to what the coaches are preaching.

Having said that though, its still going to be tough the first year or two depending upon injuries etc.

I hope you didn't have to pay for that content because that is a stretch of a story.

Kill is shucking & jiving you guys Lou Holtz style. He's got plenty of talented players to work with, most of whom played significantly on a 3-9 team that with a few breaks & better coaching could have been a winning team. Kill wants to under-promise, over-deliver & I like that, but make no mistake this team is talented, this is not like the empty cup board Brewster inherited in 2007.

Kill is shucking & jiving you guys Lou Holtz style. He's got plenty of talented players to work with, most of whom played significantly on a 3-9 team that with a few breaks & better coaching could have been a winning team. Kill wants to under-promise, over-deliver & I like that, but make no mistake this team is talented, this is not like the empty cup board Brewster inherited in 2007.

I agree with you for the most part. My only objection to your post is the comparison to Louis D. Huckster. Jerry Kill has a conscience and a moral compass. Mr. Holtz did not and does not. Go ahead, rip away and peel me apart. I will never change my opinion.

I agree with you for the most part. My only objection to your post is the comparison to Louis D. Huckster. Jerry Kill has a conscience and a moral compass. Mr. Holtz did not and does not. Go ahead, rip away and peel me apart. I will never change my opinion.

Highway, I will never rip you for that statement. Lou Holtz is a complete D-bag, liar and fraud!

ding ding ding

Except that basically every publication thinks they are one of--if not THE worst team in the league. I think that whether they have "plenty of talent" or at least talent that fits the system that is ready to play this year is very debatable. There is probably some lowering of expectations going on, but I'm not sure where the statements about all of our talent is coming from.

Except that basically every publication thinks they are one of--if not THE worst team in the league. I think that whether they have "plenty of talent" or at least talent that fits the system that is ready to play this year is very debatable. There is probably some lowering of expectations going on, but I'm not sure where the statements about all of our talent is coming from.

I think it all comes down to us going 3-9 last year. With good coaching, we probably could have beaten South Dakota, Northwestern, and Purdue, giving us a 6-6 season. Who knows, we maybe even steal another to go 7-5. If we would have had that kind of season, I'm willing to bet the preseason predictions would not be the same.

Highway, I will never rip you for that statement. Lou Holtz is a complete D-bag, liar and fraud!

What's too bad is Lou Holtz was a victim of his own success. He promised he wouldn't leave until we won a national championship. Brewster could have said the same thing and we wouldn't be mad at him about it. We're only mad at Holtz because he would have won a title here. I don't have any doubt about that.

I remember that being the first time I truly knew what being left at the altar meant. I was sure excited for Gutey to keep our momentum going, but we know how that turned out. The almost years...

We will have a better record than last year. Five or 6 wins this season.

Top Bottom