ESPN: Gophers have grown beyond a nice little story and into a full fledge contender!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

1. The Legends Division is officially a three-team race: If you thought Michigan State was going to cruise into the Big Ten championship game, think again. The Spartans remain the favorite in their division, but they have to travel to Nebraska this week in a potential winner-take-all scenario. While the Huskers' banged-up offense figures to have serious trouble against Michigan State's defense, one thing Bo Pelini's team has shown the past couple of weeks is heart, particularly in its hard-fought 17-13 win at Michigan. We've criticized Nebraska in the past for not winning key conference road games; well, credit is due for dealing the Wolverines their first home loss under Brady Hoke. And remember that the Cornhuskers are 2-0 versus Michigan State since joining the Big Ten. Don't count out Minnesota, either. While the Gophers will need some help to win the division, they have grown beyond a nice little story and into a full-fledged contender. Once again, a stout defense and running game led the way in a 24-10 win over Penn State, giving the program its first four-game Big Ten winning streak since 1973. The Gophers have beaten Nebraska and play at Michigan State in the season finale. They're a team no one wants to play right now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/88752/what-we-learned-in-the-big-ten-week-11-6

Go Gophers!!

Ok, just let this sink in.

"They're a team no one wants to play right now."

Can't help but think of the Hail Mary last week that the Huskers pulled off against Northwestern. The scenarios would look a whole lot better if that ball lands on the ground. But hard to be dissatisfied with where we're at.

Can't help but think of the Hail Mary last week that the Huskers pulled off against Northwestern. The scenarios would look a whole lot better if that ball lands on the ground. But hard to be dissatisfied with where we're at.

I know. All we would need today is for Nebraska to beat MSU at home and we would control our destiny.

If the huskers beat Sparty, and that is a huge if. Beat Wisconsin, and game the game in East Lansing will see all the pressure on the Spartans.

Not especially Gophers-related, but some of the Michigan fans commenting on that article make it seem like they're quickly getting fed up with Hoke. I suppose most of them went into this season thinking they'd be contending for, if not winning, the division, and now there's a real chance they end up 6-6 this year. Northwestern is favored over them in Evanston this Saturday, then they have a road trip to Iowa and their regular season finale against Ohio State who will likely beat them.

I wish we could play michigan right now I think we could beat them!

Nebraska goes to Penn State and has Iowa at home so anything is possible.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nebraska has to pull off the upset against Michigan State and then choke away their control of the division in the final two weeks for us to have a chance.

I am not sure being two games back going into the final 3 weeks and needing a ton of help makes you a contender. Gophers need to keep playing well and win the next game in front of them against the Badgers. The win against Nebraska looks really good right now but the losses to Michigan and Iowa haunt us. Its been a great season to this point and one more win would really top it all off because another win would come against a decent team either in the regular season or in the bowl game.

I wont call us a contender until we beat Wiscy.

WolfontheProwl said:
I am not sure being two games back going into the final 3 weeks and needing a ton of help makes you a contender. Gophers need to keep playing well and win the next game in front of them against the Badgers. The win against Nebraska looks really good right now but the losses to Michigan and Iowa haunt us. Its been a great season to this point and one more win would really top it all off because another win would come against a decent team either in the regular season or in the bowl game.

I wont call us a contender until we beat Wiscy.

We don't need a ton of help, the hardest part will be beating WI and MSU. MSU or Nebraska WILL lose this weekend, so the winner of that game needs to lose one more (MSU will have 1 game remaining, Nebraska 2).

Top Bottom