ESPN: Former Penn State football player says coach James Franklin told him not to report fight to police

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Penn State football coach James Franklin told a player not to talk to police following a fight with a star linebacker in a 2018 incident that involved punching, choking and a knife being pulled, according to allegations contained in a university report obtained by ESPN.

The accusation by now-former Nittany Lions defensive back Isaiah Humphries is contained in a draft report that was part of a 2019 Title IX inquiry into sexual assault allegations in the Penn State locker room. The document sheds new light on the allegations that became public when Humphries sued the school early this year. The report, which does not include conclusions by investigators, contains interviews with dozens of football players, coaches and staff.

Humphries told investigators that, after his fight with linebacker Micah Parsons in March 2018, he met with Franklin in the coach's car outside the Lasch football building, according to the report. The investigator wrote: "Mr. Humphries added that Coach Franklin came and said, 'Don't talk to the police because Micah is his start [sic] player and makes money, so if he gets in trouble, he's gone,' meaning Mr. Humphries would be gone."

Go Gophers!!

After reading the full report there is clearly a dysfunctional locker room. When you don't address the elephant in the room, there isn't going to be unity.

You never really know who these coaches are, but I think of Franklin as a pretty stand up guy.

This doesn't sound like him.

Having said that I could think Franklin is thinking that he's helping out players who don't need their dirty laundry aired and etc ... thinking that's the right thing....

You never really know who these coaches are, but I think of Franklin as a pretty stand up guy.

This doesn't sound like him.

Having said that I could think Franklin is thinking that he's helping out players who don't need their dirty laundry aired and etc ... thinking that's the right thing....
Im not sure I can say Franklin is a standup guy between his handling of this and the report of stuff at Vanderbilt.

I can’t say he isn’t either. People are quick to say someone is a good person or bad person based on media interviews though.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Franklin is up to no good.

Look at Tressel at Ohio State (wrote a book titled "Life Promises for Success: Promises from God on Achieving Your Best"). He put himself out there as holier than thou but had multiple scandals.

Last edited:

This isn’t a big deal. People get into arguments / fights all the time especially in a team setting. The guy was an adult who could have gone to police but didn’t regardless if Franklin did or do not say that.

This isn’t a big deal. People get into arguments / fights all the time especially in a team setting. The guy was an adult who could have gone to police but didn’t regardless if Franklin did or do not say that.

IF a knife is involved, It would qualify as felony assault where I live - that can' be swept under the rug IMO. Fisticuffs are one thing, a weapon is a whole other level!

Not going to get into specifics of this incident but there is not a football coach (college or pro) that does not do everything possible to keep incidents in house whenever possible.

The unfortunate reality is that a decent number of football players are just not good dudes and many are prone to violence. Doesn't make it right and not saying the public should condone any sort of assault or violence that occurs within the walls of a football program. Just saying that every single coach out there would work to keep information from going public, every single one.

Top Bottom