ESPN: Fisch may have better options than Bears

To quote Towlie from South Park: "I have no idea what's going on."

I honestly don't think its that hard to understand. Folks in the NFL like his intelligence/style/something. They think he'll be a good NFL coordinator someday, a good QB coach now.

That doesn't mean he was a good OC for us his first year, nor does it mean he will ever succeed at the college level. Its possible for him to have a bad first year as a college OC without being a bad coach overall (though that could also be true). Or the NFL people are f-ing nuts.

I'm hoping that they aren't, that Fisch gets things together, and that we see a lot of improvement. That's my glass half full side. My glass half empty side worries that the playcalling will remain uneven and that he will keep the "O" too complex for college players. Time will tell (assuming he doesn't bolt to The League).

I really want Fisch to stay at Minnesota for at least one more year to further develop the playbook and begin to create an offensive identity for the Gophers. What's happened at Minnesota the past few years is unusual in college football. When new head coaches come on board, it's not a certainty that they will completely change the offense, but it if the offense will make a wholesale change, it usually happens when a new head coach is hired. Under Brewster, the offense has been completely changed with each of the last two Offensive Coordinators, which is unusual. There are legitimate reasons why this happened, but without establishing a good pro-style playbook that Brewster can pass down to future OCs, I'm concerned that the offense will once again change if Fisch leaves. If that happens, it could be the lynchpin to Brewster's ouster at Minnesota because I doubt if the Gophers win much next year with a new offensive scheme.

Brewster could hire a pro-style OC that will be able to refine Fisch's playbook and keep some continuity, but that may be harder than keeping Fisch at Minnesota.

All my life, I’ve been a pretty irresponsible <STRIKE>towel</STRIKE> person.

Wait wait! I got it!!

That's the melody to Funky Town!

I would like to think Fisch would want to prove himself in the Big Ten before
he jumps at the first better job. I know I would.

I really hope Fisch stays at Minnesota. My hope isn't based on anything in particular I saw of him last season, I would just really like this team to have some continuity.

I certainly think the amount of pro football teams who appear to have interest is a sort of endorsement. There are extremely intelligent football people who want him around to develop their QB's and run their offenses (despite him ruining Adam Weber (sarcasm)). I am completely aware that being a good pro coach doesn't equate to being a great college coach, but it sure is a good start.

Furthermore, I saw absolutely zero reasoning to think that our offense was too complex for college kids. Our biggest issues were the inability to win battles upfront (nothing complicated) and terribly inconsistant QB play. The QB play might have been somewhat a product of the complexity of the offense, but the problems Weber was showing were either nothing new or just terrible decisions (that were obvious no-no's).

I really hope Fisch stays at Minnesota. My hope isn't based on anything in particular I saw of him last season, I would just really like this team to have some continuity.

I certainly think the amount of pro football teams who appear to have interest is a sort of endorsement. There are extremely intelligent football people who want him around to develop their QB's and run their offenses (despite him ruining Adam Weber (sarcasm)). I am completely aware that being a good pro coach doesn't equate to being a great college coach, but it sure is a good start.

Furthermore, I saw absolutely zero reasoning to think that our offense was too complex for college kids. Our biggest issues were the inability to win battles upfront (nothing complicated) and terribly inconsistant QB play. The QB play might have been somewhat a product of the complexity of the offense, but the problems Weber was showing were either nothing new or just terrible decisions (that were obvious no-no's).

Yes and Yes. Assuming the upfront situation improves(it has to, or the offense will never emerge regardless of who is carrying/throwing/running routes).
There were alot of big plays left on the field, Fisch had brilliantly called games and duds, consistency and continuity along with maturing skill players will help this.

I thought there were enough times when receivers ran the wrong routes to bring some credence to Fisch's playbook being a little complicated. I don't think blocking or running plays were affected. However, the route running didn't seem so bad that some read adjustments wouldn't fix it. Plus another year in the system for the players to get used to it won't hurt either.

Fisch should be sending these links to SH saying, "Is the OSU coordinator being mentioned for NFL jobs?"

You forgot our other big issue. The complete lack of a running game.

Yeah, I actually sort of meant to imply that when I talked about how they were losing the battle in the trenches consistently which led to a complete lack of a running game.

Top Bottom