ESPN: Examining the B1G crossover schedules (Gophers 2nd toughest in BT)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

These go from toughest to easiest. Many of the top crossover games don't appear this year, and there's a fairly sizable drop-off in difficulty after the first three teams.

1. Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights get thrown into the deep end right away, first with their East Division schedule but also with crossover games against two of the three likely frontrunners in the West. Nebraska is typically very tough at home, and Rutgers must come right back and play a powerful Wisconsin the following week.

2. Minnesota: I considered Minnesota for the top spot, especially given its historic struggles against Michigan, but the Gophers should be in the game in Ann Arbor and get Ohio State on their home field in mid-November, when the weather should favor the home team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/100172/examining-the-b1g-crossover-schedules

Go Gophers!!

I think we should be #1, ahead of Rutgers. Ohio State is better than Wisconsin, and Michigan is better than (or at the very least equal to) Nebraska.

I think we should be #1, ahead of Rutgers. Ohio State is better than Wisconsin, and Michigan is better than (or at the very least equal to) Nebraska.

It think the strength of the teams was also taken into factor. Since Rutgers is probably not as good as the Gophers I think them getting Wisconsin and Nebraska is more difficult than the Gophers getting Ohio State and Michigan.

So then Coach Kill has got to do something to get the attention of the B1G schedule makers. In other words, he has got to walk into that hell-hole, Madison and come up with a game plan to beat the stinking badgers after he has gone into Lincoln and snatched a game away from the Huskers in their home town. If he and his long time confidants, the coordinators, can win at least half of the B1G games they play this year and match last season's mark: getting a tough schedule will have been a blessing in disguise. And, if they can go 5 wins and 3 losses in the conference, Coach Kill just might win himself a "coach of the year" honor in B1G Land. Good luck Coaches. You have been given a great opportunity with the schedule you have been gifted by the B1G schedule makers. There is much to gain by refusing to lose! And beat the stinking badgers! I think the boys and girls who make up the B1G Schedule are giving the good Coach Kill a reality check to see just how real my Golden Gophers have been built in 2014. I say: give 'em hell Jerry! There is no sense in whining and saying: "...poor ol' Jerry..." Make the most of the situation and beat those Huskers and the stinking badgers at their own games and in their own houses. And do something in Ann Arbor this year too! The Michigan game is the early indicator that will tell everyone just what Coach Kill and his staff can do on the road, in a stadium that has not been kind to my Gophers at a time when a win in conference play could get the ball rolling!

But they play Michigan and Ohio State too, because of their division. And we play Wisconsin and Nebraska. So it really comes down to if the games are home or away and who we DON'T have in common. We have Iowa, NW, Purdue, and Illinois. They have Penn State, Indiana, Michigan State, and Maryland. Looking at it that way, I think they do have the tougher schedule.

Top Bottom