ESPN Blacking out Games

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like ESPN has blacked out a couple of games this year?

For some reason, there have been 2 (possibly more) Miami Hurricanes games that were supposed to be on ESPN but instead it was just ESPN News for a couple of hours. It was the one this past weekend and their game against VA Tech.

Why won't ESPN let me watch the Canes? They are sweet.

I have noticed a couple of times when ESPN was supposed to be showing the ABC alternate game that they had ESPN News on the HD version but the Standard Def version was showing the game.

I have Comcast and hardly ever watch the Standard Def channels when I have the same ones in HD but I just happened to stumble across this.

If you have both standard and HD versions of ESPN, check it out the next time you notice the "blackout" and see if it is the same for you.

On Dish network, games are sometimes blacked out on ESPN, but may for some strange reason show up on an ESPN alternate.

There is some weird vague bandwidth requirement ESPN has with those games. For some reason with the reverse mirror situation between the 2:30 ABC and the 2:30 espn, you get your regional game on ABC in HD, but the other game you can only get in sd. The game is always on, but only in sd.....

Much thanks.

I'll try to not let them trick me anymore.

Out here the ESPN/ABC BT coverage has been excellent. On DTV, I get ABCe...ABC out of NYC...and frequently BT games are on one or more of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ABCe. Lots of options and coverage not to mention BTN with its main and optional 3 or 4 overflow channels.

For example, Minny/PSU was shown both on ESPN and ABCe simultaneously by DTV in my area of New England.

If I'm away, I can usually DVR BT or other games I'm interested in or DVR them on replay via BTN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.

Ugh, they always black out ESPN games when there is a Big 10 game on ABC. It is very annoying. I'm not sure why I should be forced to suffer through Illinois vs Ohio State while VT vs Miami is on.

Luckily I have a slingbox so I can catch a pretty good variety of games either way, but I will have to check this SD trick. I have to admit never venturing beyond the HD channels on my tv.

Top Bottom