ESPN: Big Ten's top five freshman breakout players (3. Minnesota RB/WR Jeff Jones)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

3. Minnesota RB/WR Jeff Jones

Technically, Jones is still listed on Minnesota's roster as a running back, but he could wind up as the Gophers' top receiving option. Coach Jerry Kill went so far as to say that an argument could even be made that the redshirt freshman was the best receiver in camp. That says something, especially considering he was academically ineligible last fall, meaning these spring workouts were his first-ever in college. He undoubtedly has talent -- he was the Under Armour MVP in high school -- and was an ESPN 300 prospect. He hasn't let up. Said offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover: “He could be a real weapon for us.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/118798/big-tens-top-five-freshman-breakout-players

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Technically, Jones is still listed on Minnesota's roster as a running back, but he could wind up as the Gophers' top receiving option. Coach Jerry Kill went so far as to say that an argument could even be made that the redshirt freshman was the best receiver in camp. That says something, especially considering he was academically ineligible last fall, meaning these spring workouts were his first-ever in college. He undoubtedly has talent -- he was the Under Armour MVP in high school -- and was an ESPN 300 prospect. He hasn't let up. Said offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover: “He could be a real weapon for us.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/118798/big-tens-top-five-freshman-breakout-players

Go Gophers!!

If we get a solid running game going, he could be very effective. KJ May is electric and if Mitch can get some time and has options, look out!

per ESPN:

Go Gophers!!

And, technically, he won't be a freshman this fall.

All of this Jerry Kill chatter about JJ playing WR has me more convinced that JK and the staff think JJ will be a stud at running the ball out of the backfield.

All of this Jerry Kill chatter about JJ playing WR has me more convinced that JK and the staff think JJ will be a stud at running the ball out of the backfield.

I agree. I think that spring game was all about artful deception. They used Jones just enough to keep the fans happy but not enough to let anyone else see what he is. He looked good running the ball and catching the ball. Well he did drop an easy one but that happens.

KJ and Jones could be an amazing duo... Only if we had a quarterback to get them the ball consistently.

Smart. Either that or he'll be an impact LB in 3 years. I've seen enough guys moved around the football field to not buy everything the coaches say. But hey, the proof is in the pudding. We'll all know in less than 4 months.

Top Bottom