ESPN: B1G's most indispensable players: Minnesota (O: KJ Maye, D: Damarius Travis)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

WR KJ Maye: The depth chart may be starting to fill up with talented playmakers behind him, but heading into the season, Maye is one of the few proven threats on the perimeter for an offense that clearly is looking to take a step forward with its passing game. The Gophers wouldn’t be toying with a no-huddle system and installing a few more quick-hitting screens if it wasn’t looking for more yardage through the air, and the senior is going to play a crucial role in delivering it for quarterback Mitch Leidner. Maye only hauled in 16 passes last season, but he’s the top returning target, a relentless worker and a potentially explosive weapon if he can find a way to even come close to matching his 23 yards per reception from a year ago. There is help on the way for the Gophers at wideout, but Maye is the clear leader and somebody Leidner will be relying on to stay on the field.

SAF Damarius Travis: With arguably the most talented secondary in the Big Ten, Minnesota is loaded with veteran experience and has enough depth behind the starters to withstand any injuries that may pop up during the season. But the value for Travis goes beyond the myriad ways he contributes for the Gophers in the backend, where he finished with 61 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, two interceptions, a forced fumble and a recovery. At one point or another, Travis has played a role for every unit on special teams thanks to his versatility and willingness to contribute wherever possible, making him an invaluable commodity that could potentially take a handful of players to replace. Ideally the Gophers have brought in enough talent to relieve some of the pressure on Travis in the kicking game, but the reality is he’s often just too good to take off the field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119382/b1gs-most-indispensable-players-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

I actually think Travis is a great choice. He's been a ST fixture for 3 years now and even more important, he's extremely versatile. His ability to play man on TEs and slot guys while also being able to play in the box as an extra LB is extremely important and lets Claeys be creative with his coverages. Travis is basically a swiss army knife at safety like a Jalen Ramsey lite.

I actually think Travis is a great choice. He's been a ST fixture for 3 years now and even more important, he's extremely versatile. His ability to play man on TEs and slot guys while also being able to play in the box as an extra LB is extremely important and lets Claeys be creative with his coverages. Travis is basically a swiss army knife at safety like a Jalen Ramsey lite.
Good way to put it. I love the play of Travis. When he tackles a player, they remember #7.

I think both of their choices were good. We have so many unknowns at the skill positions on offense that you have to think that Mitch is going to need to lean on Maye somewhat as that veteran leader. But I can also understand people thinking it should have been Leidner instead since there is no sure fire option behind him on the depth chart right now.

Top Bottom