ESPN: B1G approves 8-member officiating crews

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Big Ten athletic directors this week approved the increase of football officiating crews from seven members to eight for all home games beginning with the 2014 season. A center judge, who will line up in the offensive backfield opposite the head referee, will serve as the eighth official.

"We're looking for improved officiating -- that's the No. 1 reason," Big Ten coordinator of football officials Bill Carollo told ESPN.com. "We feel the eighth man can help that. It helps with quality, more accuracy and there's probably a few plays we're missing because of some blind spots, some gaps on the field with coverage."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/101000/b1g-approves-8-member-officiating-crews

Go Gophers!!

My memory is fuzzy, i really hope they watch illegal man downfield next year. I seem to remember it maybe being Nebraska and another team where the lineman where three yards down the field before the pass was thrown/caught.

My memory is fuzzy, i really hope they watch illegal man downfield next year. I seem to remember it maybe being Nebraska and another team where the lineman where three yards down the field before the pass was thrown/caught.

That would be a call from either the Head Linesman or the Line Judge. They are on the line of scrimmage. Possibly the Umpire. But a blown call is just that. Adding another official to the backfield will aid in holding calls especially on the edge. Maybe ruffing the QB.

This should assure penalty flags for every other play, instead of every third.

Top Bottom