ESPN B1G All-Freshmen Team

Kinda a joke IMO that Epping wasn't selected over the other OL.
Jones, DCT, T. Olson, Amaefula, Leinkiwitz, Bak, all played very well, Gjere likely would have been a 12 game starter had he not been hurt early on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/41139/espn-coms-big-ten-all-freshman-team-2

Interesting that Ben Perry is our only selection. Congrats to him!

With all of the young starters we had (they considered both True Freshmen and RsFr) I thought we would see a few more, T.Olson and DCT come to mind.

The O-line thing is subjective but there is no way DCT should have beaten out the two that made the list.

Bell - 29 rec - 408 yards - 2 TD
Manley - 29 rec - 302 yards - 3 TD
DCT - 8 rec - 156 yards - 0 TD

I get that people are in love the the speed that DCT brings to the table but he did not light up the stat sheet. I hope he develops into a good one for us but he didn't finish anywhere close to those other two this year.

The O-line thing is subjective but there is no way DCT should have beaten out the two that made the list.

Bell - 29 rec - 408 yards - 2 TD
Manley - 29 rec - 302 yards - 3 TD
DCT - 8 rec - 156 yards - 0 TD

I get that people are in love the the speed that DCT brings to the table but he did not light up the stat sheet. I hope he develops into a good one for us but he didn't finish anywhere close to those other two this year.
Can not disagree with this at all, we should just be happy he was as ready as he was to play this year, because most of us would have predicted it to be a wasted season, which it definitely was not. He will be better next year because he played this year.
We should be happy we thought thee were this many guys who should get mentioned, but the folks who get mentioned will be players who started most of the season in the same position. Most of our guys either started part of the season or were moving positions almost weekly like Olson and Epping. Pretty hard to get rave reviews when you play two or three different positions as a freshman.

didn't say DCT should have won, just mentioned his name as one of the many Frosh who saw significant PT this year.

didn't say DCT should have won, just mentioned his name as one of the many Frosh who saw significant PT this year.

Actually you said "I thought we would see a few more, T.Olson and DCT come to mind."

By a few more, most assumed you meant more all big ten freshmen and in thinking that, TO and DCT came your mind.

The ESPN bloggers follow and see the teams at the top, unless someones stats jump up and slaps them in their faces, they are going to select players that they see.

Kenny Bell and Ibraheim Campbell both had offers from us.

I remember the GH story about Campbell stirred up quite a ruckus on the board regarding whether his test scores were high enough. I guess Northwestern thought so.

I think Kenny Bell is a big-time talent. Guy has this easy, smooth stride and yet isn't afraid to put his shoulder into a guy to pick up some extra yards after the catch.

The ESPN bloggers follow and see the teams at the top, unless someones stats jump up and slaps them in their faces, they are going to select players that they see.

Good point, nsmike.

Top Bottom