ESPN: B1G ADs weigh number of league games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Big Ten athletic directors will meet several times over the next few months to hammer out some key decisions for the 2014 season and beyond. The most pressing, and arguably most important, issue will involve figuring out how many times to play each other during the season.

League officials chose to stay with eight conference games per season after Nebraska joined the league in 2011. But when Maryland and Rutgers come aboard next year, that could change. ESPN.com interviewed several conference athletic directors, who confirmed that a nine- and even a 10-game league schedule are on the table in the upcoming discussions.

"That’s something that we have to really resolve quickly, because the ramifications of that discussion are significant," Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon told ESPN.com. "It’s a high-agenda item."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/70464/b1g-ads-weigh-number-of-league-games

Go Gophers!!

im in favor of the ten game schedule. the cupcakes are absurd. I would much rather play more big ten games than new mexico friggin state.

10 games will mean two cream puffs every year. I would still take it over the current schedule.

Would love to see it but I would expect them to go with 9 because seems like they would all want to be able to schedule those 3 non-conf creampuff wins and get the extra home game in from a revenue standpoint. Course the downside to 10 conference games is it may make getting bowl eligible a bit tougher to manage for the bottom half of the conference.

I agree as a fan I would love this! Due to the TV viewing (wish is the holy grail now), wouldn't this generate more revenue for each school even if each school had 1 less home game?

According to Purdue AD. they have been advised to schedule the following for non conference. 4 for 14 & 15, 3 for 16 & 17, and 2 for 18 & 19. Asked not to schedule any non conference games for 2020 and beyond. Mainly for flexibility purposes.

Assuming the conference eventually gets to 16 teams, I think they will have to have 10 conference games. If they split the conference into two eight team divisions and only go to nine conference games, you would only play teams in the other division once every four years at the most.

In order to insure fair scheduling with a 16 team 10 game schedule the B1G could adopt the NFL method of scheduling based upon the previous year's finish. The higher one finishes the tougher the schedule the next year. That would probably help produce more bowl eligible teams. It may also jeopardize some continuous rivalries.

I say let's schedule all B1G Conference games, 12 in all. Then rename the conference Survival Of The Fittest Conference.

Top Bottom