ESPN: Already this good in September, Ohio State could be terrifying by November

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Yet here’s the thing that should terrify the rest of the Big Ten and give other College Football Playoff contenders at least some pause: Ohio State is probably still going to get a lot better as the season goes on.

"This was a good start for us," linebacker Chris Worley said. "But we’re nowhere near where we need to be."

How sobering is that? Consider that this team has outscored its first three opponents 170-37. Its defense went more than nine quarters before allowing its first touchdown, and scored four defensive touchdowns itself. These were last season's FBS total offense ranks of Ohio State’s first three opponents, for reference: 6th (Oklahoma), 7th (Bowling Green) and 18th (Tulsa).

The Buckeyes clearly took offense at Oklahoma backup quarterback Austin Kendall's assertion last week that Ohio State had "a basic defense." Linebacker Raekwon McMillan ran around the field after the game with a fan-made sign that read "'Basic' defense." As the team left the field, giddy Scarlet and Gray fans chanted that two-word phrase in unison.

As silly as that whole storyline was -- who cares what Oklahoma’s backup quarterback thinks? –- the funniest part is this: Ohio State excels in part because it can be basic on defense. The Buckeyes haven’t blitzed very much this season, counting on their front four to get pressure. That frees up McMillan and the linebackers to make plays, and a rebuilt secondary has been simply incredible at shutting down the passing game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...er-ohio-state-could-be-terrifying-by-november

Go Gophers!!

I've had similar thoughts since Saturday's game

This article seems a little on the hysterical side.

They played really well in their third game of the season, against a team that had already lost to the University of Houston. Congratulations on the nice win, and let's move on to the next game.

Hopefully they are not as scary in December, when the Gophers have their game with them. I at least hope the targeting calls are made correctly this time, on a neutral field.

This just in: Urban Meyer is really good (and I'm glad we are in the west division). This should also reaffirm the fact that bulletin material is real, no matter how silly we may think it is. The OSU - OK score could have been worse (45-17) if officials had noticed OK's Mixon dropped the ball before crossing the end-zone. I really find this annoying. Ever since DeSean Jackson did this a few years ago, it happens quite often. Are players trying to drop it as close as they can?

Urban has come to the "we don't rebuild, we reload" part of his career. I agree that at times they look better than they play, but athleticism matters at the highest level of the college game and teams like tOSU and Alabama always seem to have the best athletes. It doesn't make either of those teams invincible, but there's no escaping the fact that they are consistently near the top of the heap.

Ohio State and Alabama should just go ahead and play for the National Championship now so that we can end the suspense. Good night, these two teams look invincible!

Urban has come to the "we don't rebuild, we reload" part of his career. I agree that at times they look better than they play, but athleticism matters at the highest level of the college game and teams like tOSU and Alabama always seem to have the best athletes. It doesn't make either of those teams invincible, but there's no escaping the fact that they are consistently near the top of the heap.

There is always these OMG they lost X starter but their backup two guys would probably start on most other teams anyway....

They won't know what hit them in the B1G championship game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom