Eskridge, Orton, and Stoudermire make Rivals all-freshman team

Hooligan119th

Reaction score
Deleon Eskridge, Ryan Orton, and Troy Stoudermire were all selected for the Rivals all freshman team. Congratulations to all three of them.

Broderick Binns was selected as an end from Iowa (He played at Cretin for those that don't know). Did brew ever go after him during recruiting?

Seeing Orton on the team kind of suprises me. I didn't really watch him specifically, but our OL play wasn't steller which is a pretty common assesment. So my question is did Ryan really play that good to be on the all-freshman team, or were there simply not that many freshman OL players to pick from? Maybe a combo of both?

Now don't attack me here for bringing up conversation. I personnally think it's a little of both, with a heavy lean towards playing well. Now does this also mean that Orton is pretty much a lock to start at one of the G positions next year? If so, I see Carufel at LT, Wills at RT, Orton at one of the G, and C and the other G spot still up for grabs. I'm pretty sure our Tackles will be Carufel and Wills, but I'm not so sure about Orton at G. Remember, Burris was an all-freshman player too and was supposed to be the next big OL star at MN. Now he might come on his JR year, but it did seem like he had a hard time staying on the field last season. ANYWAY, my poiont being, just cause Orton made the all-F team, it doesn't make him the next Eslinger.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the interior of our OL will look like next season? I personally really want Burris to move to C. That is where he was recruited at and I think he could be an All B-10 caliber player by his SR season if he played there. I also like Orton at one of the G positions. as for the other, there is a lot of promise in a lot of players there and it should be a good battle. I'm no evaluator, but down the road I really am a HUGE fan of Campion (Since he's from up by where I live) and think he should be moved to G. Can't ya just see it!!! finally a 6'5" 300+ OG for the gophs!!!! What do I know though.

Anyway, this got a heck of a lot longer that I had originally planned.

Carufel played guard at ND, have the coaches said they are moving him to tackle?

Such is the demise of the OL. Very little continuity and lack of players who have a lock for a starting spot in 2009. IMO, the LT spot is our greatest need. Meinke did OK at times and at es he was totally overwhelmed. He is probably the smallest LT in all of CFB. In fairness to Alford, the ankle injury really bothered him as his mobility was limited. But I have not been a big fan of him even when he was healthy. Burris has a knee issue as does Tow-Arnett that need to get stronger. Tavale needs to lose 20 LB's.

My wish is that Carufel and Wills both start in 09. That will equate into a better OL and add some experience, size and maturity.

I will tape the bowl game and look at the OL's work and also against Wisky and Iowa. At least I will have some idea of what I'm talking about. The offseason will be key for this bunch as Brewster wants them all to mature physically.

Carufel played guard at ND, have the coaches said they are moving him to tackle?

From what I've read Carufel has been practicing at Tackle. Pencil in Carufel and Wills as the bookends to the line next season. That leaves 3 positions in the interior of the line to be filled by 10 players in this year's two deep + 3 new freshman. I would anticipate all three freshman redshirt to add mass. Expect this line to have more depth than we have seen in a long time. However, depth just means there isn't a big drop off from 1st team to 2nd team, we need a lot of improvement so that the 1st team is much better than we saw this season.

Binns

Broderick Binns turned down Glen Mason, and when Brewster was hired he made a spirited pitch to Binns, Bryce McNaul, David Gilreath and Blake Sorensen. McNaul went to Northwestern, Gilreath and Sorensen went to Wisconsin and obviously Binns went to Iowa. None of them listened, and we got guys like Harold Howell, Curtis Thomas, Tray Herndon, Damien White, Ralph Spry and Clint Brewster (none of whom will be with the team in 2009).

I don't think McNaul or Sorensen have made any impact at their respective schools; Gilreath and Binns have had some success so far. I'm glad to see Brewster locking up the top talent in Minnesota! He could really pull a coup if Bryce came here...although he has already exceeded my hopes for recruiting in MN this year.

Sorensen was second team this year and played when the first string linebacker was hurt.

He will be one of the starting linebackers heading into spring practice for the Badgers.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard anything about Sorensen, I seem to remember hearing McNaul was having difficulty finding the field.

Broderick Binns turned down Glen Mason, and when Brewster was hired he made a spirited pitch to Binns, Bryce McNaul, David Gilreath and Blake Sorensen. McNaul went to Northwestern, Gilreath and Sorensen went to Wisconsin and obviously Binns went to Iowa. None of them listened, and we got guys like Harold Howell, Curtis Thomas, Tray Herndon, Damien White, Ralph Spry and Clint Brewster (none of whom will be with the team in 2009).

I don't think McNaul or Sorensen have made any impact at their respective schools; Gilreath and Binns have had some success so far. I'm glad to see Brewster locking up the top talent in Minnesota! He could really pull a coup if Bryce came here...although he has already exceeded my hopes for recruiting in MN this year.

Gilreath had made a verbal commitment to Minnesota but changed his commitment to Wisconsin shortly after Mason's departure.

Has Sorenson grown much the past 2 years he has spent in Beckyland? I know he was 6-1 205 his Sr. year at EP.

The Gopher O-line for 2009 will be much bigger and more experienced than this season.

T Wills 6-7 350 Jr.
T Carufel 6-5 300 Jr.
C Burris 6-2 300 Jr.
G Bunders 6-3 315 So.
G Orton 6-5 300 So

All the other red-shirt Fr. have gained 10-20 lbs and will be much stronger for next season.

I would guess all of them will weigh 285-300 be next fall which will make them much more competitive than this past season. The O-line just didn't have much if any experience and when
Tavale and Alford went down with injuries, the Gophers had very little size to go with their youth.

Next season I believe the O-line will be a strength and the running game will return with some good numbers. The running backs will all be bigger next fall also, as will the receivers.

Has Sorenson grown much the past 2 years he has spent in Beckyland? I know he was 6-1 205 his Sr. year at EP.

One site has him 6'1" and 217 and one has him 6'1" and 223, which probably means he is 5'11" and 210.

Top Bottom