Eric Murray

hungan1

Reaction score
Does anybody know the full story about this DB recruit from Milwaukee? Is it true that he shut down Andre during summer football camp scrimmages? He must have really impressed Kill.

That's what Kill said. Going into camp he had no offers and was getting mostly MAC looks. I think one reason he was so far under the radar was his high school team doesn't keep film and he was playing wide receiver at all the other camps he attended. Must have wowed Kill at corner.

I think sometimes these kids don't know how good they are in a relative sense--especially in a position that they are not "pegged into". Not every HS coaching staff is good at analyzing a kid's skill set--most times they look at a need and want to fill it with a known commodity at a certain position. It's heartening to see that Kill saw something special in this kid--at a position that he may have not even known he was good at.

Murray

if I remember correctly he came to camp as a wr, they saw something in that workout and invited him back as a CB, the story goes that they matched him up against McDonald often and he held his own or better each time. I believe he had very little to no playing CB experience.

I think sometimes these kids don't know how good they are in a relative sense--especially in a position that they are not "pegged into". Not every HS coaching staff is good at analyzing a kid's skill set--most times they look at a need and want to fill it with a known commodity at a certain position. It's heartening to see that Kill saw something special in this kid--at a position that he may have not even known he was good at.

Spot on. I went to a school that was either you were a starter or the coaches didn't give a rats ass about you. Say if you blossomed during junior year, it wouldn't even matter because you had gotten buried on the depth chart and the coaches wouldn't even bother giving you the time of day. Politics also played a huge role in who played. I'm sure my high school wasn't the only one either.

wasnt he a kid who people were concerned about his act or sat score? i thought i remembered somewhere he had to retake it...

I don't remember hearing that with Murray. I remember that with a couple or one of the FL guys, but I don't believe Murray was ever an academic risk.

I don't remember hearing that with Murray. I remember that with a couple or one of the FL guys, but I don't believe Murray was ever an academic risk.

I also don't remember hearing Murray was an academic risk. Maybe he was (very unfairly) classified by some GHers as one that was an academic risk because he goes to an inner-city school?

Murray is certainly under-the-radar, but in his case, he's a player that we know the staff has seen numerous times in person. That's obviously also the case with Duke and Isaac Fruetche, although I don't know about other under-the-radar guys like Damarius Travis, Scott Ekpe and Alex Keith.

Piper is in Sunrise which is largely a working class/middle income community with some areas of significant poverty. It's not as bad as, some areas of Miami, but there is a significant population of at risk youth.

Murray's school has some highlights on the web. Hes clearly a great athlete with good size from what the film shows

Morris is headed to a JUCO next year.

According to the great recruiting site 247 Sports, he is still a Gopher commit.

And on the topic of Murray, I highly doubt that he has any academic concerns. Coaches will stick their necks out on academic risks for in-demand players, but not for borderline players. I'm not saying that he won't be a good player for the Gophers, but he isn't the caliber of recruit that you wait on over academic concerns.

Top Bottom