Eric Decker

GoldysArmy

Reaction score
I am assuming Decker will be back next year for his senior season. Has anyone heard otherwise? He and Bryce would make a dynamic duo!

If Bryce decides to become a Gopher, there is no way that he starts as a freshman.

If Bryce decides to become a Gopher, there is no way that he starts as a freshman.

Agreed, i don't think Bryce would start right away.

I'm thinking Decker, Green, Hayo, Tow-Arnett and Hageman as our receiving corps w/ Bennett in the backfield.

I'd be surprised if Decker did not return next year, but if he didn't it would be because he is looking at baseball as his future instead of football. If he is looking more seriously at baseball, then I can see how spending 1/3 of this season with ankle injuries/concussions will not help his chances of coming back. I hope that doesn't happen though, he is a special WR and God knows we need him next year.

I realy liked the way Green came on at the end of the season. We have a chance to have a very special group of recievers next season!!

I am hoping he comes back next year as well and assuming he would like to give professional football a try, I think it would be beneficial for him to come back. The gophers can then promote him heavily for post-season awards next year and I cannot think of to many top receivers that will be available in the draft next year, since both Crabtree and Maclin will probably leave early and enter this years draft.

I am hoping he comes back next year as well and assuming he would like to give professional football a try, I think it would be beneficial for him to come back. The gophers can then promote him heavily for post-season awards next year and I cannot think of to many top receivers that will be available in the draft next year, since both Crabtree and Maclin will probably leave early and enter this years draft.

arelius benn will probably leave after this season, too. i had an argument with a bunch of illini fans on an illinois sports board about decker and benn. they are basically the same receiver--same height, weight, ability. benn may be a little faster. benn and decker were by far the best receivers in the big ten.

arelius benn will probably leave after this season, too. i had an argument with a bunch of illini fans on an illinois sports board about decker and benn. they are basically the same receiver--same height, weight, ability. benn may be a little faster. benn and decker were by far the best receivers in the big ten.

Benn is more explosive and can beat guys deep. We didn't see Decker beat a guy deep this year unless it was on a scramble. Benn will likely go higer in the draft than Decker but that will not be until the 2010 draft for either of them.

Whoa Nelly on the professional baseball talk.....

I'm as big a fan of Decker as anyone, but where does all the talk of a professional baseball career come from? I realize he was drafted, but so were thousands of others. Baseball scouts basically draft anyone with "tools". As a player last year, Decker hit like .330 (with aluminum bats) which I believe was 4th or 5th best on the team. He's certainly a long shot to play major league baseball. He's much more polished and accomplished as a football player. I would think he's sticking to football.

I guess the thought is pretty much as your saying cheese head except a different slant. He's pretty good as a raw baseball player, and maybe not quite good enough as a polished football player. I think he's fast enough, but is he? With his athleticism he'll find a home in the NFL but it'll be a struggle. Baseball??

I guess the thought is pretty much as your saying cheese head except a different slant. He's pretty good as a raw baseball player, and maybe not quite good enough as a polished football player. I think he's fast enough, but is he? With his athleticism he'll find a home in the NFL but it'll be a struggle. Baseball??

I think he would be a 2nd to 3rd round draft pick in football. His hands are good, he is athletic but he isn't going to burn NFL corners deep, he is smart, he is adept at reading coverage and finding open spots for the QB to throw him the ball, and he is very strong for a WR. This reminds me of 3 players off the top of my head: Anthony Gonzalez, Ed McCaffrey, Cris Carter. He would likely play in the slot where he can go over the middle and find holes in zone defenses.

Decker said earlier this year, either to the trib or PP, that he would be back next year. You must be confusing Decker with Tow-Arnett, he's the one leaving early for the NFL

If McNeal commits to go along with Carpenter, considering that Decker probably will return for his senior year and Green, along with one or two others on the bench, I think the Gophers will have one of the better WR corps next year in the big ten.

Benn is more explosive and can beat guys deep. We didn't see Decker beat a guy deep this year unless it was on a scramble. Benn will likely go higer in the draft than Decker but that will not be until the 2010 draft for either of them.

how do you measure explosiveness?

Decker and baseball

Decker's greatest chance of becoming a high-paid star is likely in baseball. He is what scouts refer to as the elusive "five-tool" outfielder. The 5 tools (I think?) are 1) can hit for power, 2) has the coordination and quickness to hit for average, 3) can steal bases, 4) has a strong arm, and 5) has outstanding range and skill in the outfield.

Considering that he hasn't focused exclusively on baseball due to playing football, I've read that scouts think that he could very well develop into a starting outfielder and has the raw tools to possibly become an All-Star.

He's a great football player, but his ceiling may be higher in baseball (based upon opinions I've read he could be a 1st round pick). Major league baseball stars have higher salaries and baseball players in general have longer careers than football players.

Let's hope that he gets drafted by the Twins after next year so that he could potentially open TCF Bank Stadium and the new Twins Stadium.

In the NFL, I think he would be a great possession receiver, but his ceiling and earning potential are probably better in Baseball!

I think Decker is better off giving football a try. He is miles closer to the NFL than he is MLB and it's not even a given he'd play in the NFL. He hit .330 with a couple HR's with an aluminum bat last year. BFD. There's no minor leagues to work your way through in football and despite being a far rougher sport on the body, you "work" one day a week as opposed to almost every day. Yeah, I know football players practice too, but the life of a football player is much more accomodating to friends and family. Guys Frerrote flies home to St. Louis after every game and comes back for practice Wednesday. That doesn't happen in MLB unless your last name is Clemens.

The 5th "tool" is throwing arm.....just remember, the great majority of baseball players end up on buses in the South. A very small percentage make it to the bigs.

i agree, some have said that the most difficult thing to do in sports is to hit a mlb fastball. but there have been center fielders who have made it on their glove and speed alone, which we know decker has.

Decker may be a five tool baseball player, but he is most definately an eight tool football player. If you do the math, 5 is less than 8. He will be playing football on Sundays

Whatever he decides, in regards to pro career, the sooner the better. Though he can play both next year, if he does decide to give pro football the nod, they will want to know so as early as possible as an indicator that is where his heart and head are.

Other then Danny Ainge (Pro Baseball and Basketball), there has not been a lot of success with athletes who have tried to play 2 pro sports, whether due to injury (Bo) or lack of necessary dedication and scheduling difficulties.

Recievers

Next year would be the first year we have the recievers to run the spread. Just look at who we have.

Sr - Decker, Ben
Jr - Hayo, Spry
So - Green, Smith, Mcknight
Fr - Mcneal

Webber should have plenty of choices in who he wants to throw the ball too. This group will have speed, athleticsim, and depth. Not many Big Ten teams will have the recievers like we have next year.

If Hayo is going to be the real deal like I think he'll be, it will be the best recieving corps in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom