EP's Davidson Commits to Stanford

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
According to a tweet that I saw. Not following in Grandpa and Dad's footsteps to tOSU. Strib Article.

Good for him.

It's been pretty widely speculated that the Ohio State offer dried up, i'm glad Stanford's didn't because of the injury. This one doesn't really sting as I never really considered him an "in state" kid, so good luck to him.

2 of the top 5 in state this year is pretty disappointing considering the depth of talent.

We got two of top five in Nelson and Pirsig, but got 6 of the top ten. Did not get McDonald, Davidson, Johnson, and Harden.

this depth everyone keeps talking about.... seriously i just dont see it... wait.... let me rephrase this... i dont see B10 depth.. yes we have some solid lower level tallent coming out of mn... good for the dakotas, western michigan, and maybe wyoming.... the vast majority of this awsome depth are not even getting hard looks from other B10 schools, so why should we offer them a scolly... id love for harden to accept a pw as well as these other kids and earn a scolly if so deemed by the staff however ... The cold hard truth is... the kids are NOT b10 calliber players... i mean seriously throw these kids into fla, tx, and cal schools and they wouldnt even see the feild...

davidson is not a mn kid... please stop counting him as one....

i also want to say im not a troll, im a huge gopher homer and proud season ticket holder... i ust dont see this mn class with the same local instate homer glasses

This class is not Texas deep, it's deep for Minnesota.

well mn deep is not b10 tallent... a few are yes... but do people seriously think mn has 15-20 guys who normally would get a mn offer?

to the op im sorry for hi-jacking this thread...

stuck_in_scony_go4_fan said:
well mn deep is not b10 tallent... a few are yes... but do people seriously think mn has 15-20 guys who normally would get a mn offer?

Who said 15-20?? I was talking about the top 5. The top 6 are legit B1G prospects... ... ...

Most people generally believe that this class have more quality depth than average. No one is saying we're in the National Championship if we sign every MN player. Just better than average, perhaps much better than average.

I think Kill covered the bases with Johnson, who seemed to be looking like he wanted to be away from home anyway, As for Davidson, I agree that he is really not a home grown player. McDonald was disappointing, but life goes on. As for Harden, not sure they tried all that fired hard to get him.

Who said 15-20?? I was talking about the top 5. The top 6 are legit B1G prospects... ... ...

in another thread peeps are saying many of these kids would get a mn offer but it is too deep of a class... i dont want to take this thread in another direction... so ill just say congrats to davidson for going to a top notch program and best of luck

in another thread peeps are saying many of these kids would get a mn offer but it is too deep of a class... i dont want to take this thread in another direction... so ill just say congrats to davidson for going to a top notch program and best of luck

More MN kids would get offers if this were a different year for a variety of reasons...
#1: We need immediate JuCo help.
#2: MN is exceptionally deep this year (by MN standards). If this class didn't have Pirsig, Lauer probably gets offered. If this class didn't have Hayes, Roullier probably gets offered. If this class didn't have Williams, Peirce probably gets offered.
#3: Our needs are very position specific. We need a lot of DBs, usually MN isn't full of a lot of DBs. If we were in dire need of OL and TE....we'd have more MN offers out.

Bob_Loblaw said:
More MN kids would get offers if this were a different year for a variety of reasons...
#1: We need immediate JuCo help.
#2: MN is exceptionally deep this year (by MN standards). If this class didn't have Pirsig, Lauer probably gets offered. If this class didn't have Hayes, Roullier probably gets offered. If this class didn't have Williams, Peirce probably gets offered.
#3: Our needs are very position specific. We need a lot of DBs, usually MN isn't full of a lot of DBs. If we were in dire need of OL and TE....we'd have more MN offers out.

Way to put it Bob. MN has never really been rich for D-line help either - you can add that as #4. JUCO help Is on the way for the secondary...Starting with Shabazzzz!

People have to understand that just because a kid might have Div I talent they might not fit the coaches system. Harden fits that description this year.

We offered 9 of the top 10. How often has that happened? I don't know. We got 6 of the top 8 if you take out Davidson and Harden. That is pretty good and Kill is still trying to get guys to walk-on or get a late offer if something happens between now and signing day.

I agree that Davidson is really not a Minnesota grown kid. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have seen him in our class, but he has no real roots here.

I'm disappointed about McDonald and Johnson, but Kill worked these kids hard and I think we'll see an improvement with in-state recruiting as he gets his feet more firmly underneath him.

This is a deeper class, but maybe not as talented.
If there are 15-20 guys getting FCS/FBS looks that's alot for MN. Even if only a handful are getting Big Ten offers.

We have 7 in state commits, i think we can safely say we'll get maybe 5-7 walk ons of varying quality. Guys like Roullier, Lauer, Pierce, Larson, Harden, Michaelson, and Ford probably could have/would have gotten offers in certain past years depending on the in state depth/recruiting situation. They are all capable of becoming Big Ten players, just maybe not really soon, and maybe not at their preferred position.

I really hope Kill is able to land an impact Top in-state kid down the road that will get some buzz and respect for the program going, maybe this Johnson kid from washburn ends up getting big offers, it'd be great to land a kid like Floyd/Fitzgerald/SH who opens eyes around the country and shows that top in state kids can/will turn down OSU/ND/USC offers to come here.

If you compare MN's top 10 to WI's top 10 you will see that MN has a pretty solid class this year. Wis. only offered 2 kids in their top 10, yet they offered or checked into much of MN's top 10. Murray is the #4 kids in Wis and is coming to MN. He hasn't even registered any excitement here. MN #8 guy grades out higher then Wis. #3. That is a good class. IA has a more deep class then Wis. this year. The class is comparable to Arkansas top 10.

Pirsig committed to us over offers from OSU and Auburn among several others.

Hageman had top offers from all over the country (Florida, OSU, Oklahoma, etc.).

We got two of top five in Nelson and Pirsig, but got 6 of the top ten. Did not get McDonald, Davidson, Johnson, and Harden.

Just imagine the Strib headlines. Can we expect more about the ones that Kill didn't sign?

If you compare MN's top 10 to WI's top 10 you will see that MN has a pretty solid class this year. Wis. only offered 2 kids in their top 10, yet they offered or checked into much of MN's top 10. Murray is the #4 kids in Wis and is coming to MN. He hasn't even registered any excitement here. MN #8 guy grades out higher then Wis. #3. That is a good class. IA has a more deep class then Wis. this year. The class is comparable to Arkansas top 10.

We still don't have the "legs" in Minnesota, but given the population growth in our suburban area (and the increasing sophistication of football instruction) over the past couple of decades, I think Minnesota is going to become an area that is more highly scouted and recruited. I don't think we'll ever reach "hotbed" status, but we seem to be producing more scholarship kids every year.

We still don't have the "legs" in Minnesota, but given the population growth in our suburban area (and the increasing sophistication of football instruction) over the past couple of decades, I think Minnesota is going to become an area that is more highly scouted and recruited. I don't think we'll ever reach "hotbed" status, but we seem to be producing more scholarship kids every year.
+1 I think that going forward the new normal will be very much like this class. We should have 8 to 10 BCS level kids and be able to get 6 to 8.

Top Bottom