Enoch Atewogbola commits to Gophers!!

looks like he's listed at 6'4" and 215 pounds. Is that right - 215 for a DE?

from his frame, he looks like he should be able to add some bulk. but probably a prospect. the question is - in today's world of NIL and the portal, can you wait 2+ years for a player to contribute - and can you keep him on the roster?

from his frame, he looks like he should be able to add some bulk. but probably a prospect. the question is - in today's world of NIL and the portal, can you wait 2+ years for a player to contribute - and can you keep him on the roster?
Our two starting DEs weighed only a little more and both waited until year three to play much. We still need to develop players, we aren’t going to sign ready to play high schoolers that often.

Carter Coughlin weighed less at the same age. He turned out ok.

Fleck seems to be doing a solid job keeping guys around and football is not undergoing the same insanity that basketball is.

There is still a place for freshman in college football to come in and develop.

Fleck seems to be doing a solid job keeping guys around and football is not undergoing the same insanity that basketball is.

Football also has rosters large enough to stash them.

They must like his potential a lot to accept the verbal with all the other dlinemen visits they have scheduled.

He looks to be pretty athletic and has the frame to add some good weight. Apparently a decent basketball player too.

Keeping as many instate players will help. These kids most likely will stay put.

What is odd is the several other players who play the same position are lined up to make an official visit and they are rated higher.

What is odd is the several other players who play the same position are lined up to make an official visit and they are rated higher.
If you watched it ever since Howard signed the targets have changed. We had 4-5 legit 4* edge/DL with visits set up.. I think that's down to one.. the kid from Cali....

I wonder if that’s his weight entering his jr yr of high school?

He very well could weigh 230 by the start of college. Not starting De weight but not too far away.

I wonder if that’s his weight entering his jr yr of high school?

He very well could weigh 230 by the start of college. Not starting De weight but not too far away.
Dallas Turner and Chop Robinson were both about 6’3” and 220-230lbs going into their senior years.

No clue if this guy has similar athletic ability but he’s definitely on a reasonable path in terms of size/weight.

With almost no football experience, Avon's Enoch Atewogbola rises to Big Ten recruit
(subscription needed for full article)

A few excerpts:
“He has no idea how good he is going to be,” Coach Gibson said. “But the best thing about Enoch is no matter how good he gets, he is never going to feel like he’s satisfied. He’s never going to wake up and feel like he’s made it. He’s always going to question himself and ask, ‘Did I work hard enough?’ or ‘Did I push hard enough?’”

Quickly, 50 pushups a day was too easy. He worked up to 100. Then 200. Then 700. On two successive days that summer he pumped out 1,000 and 1,001 pushups. Why?

“I’ve always prided myself in working,” Enoch said. “It gives you an advantage and gives you confidence because you did the work. There’s nothing to be nervous about if you did the work. Basketball didn’t come naturally. I had to put in a lot of work. I was skinny, I had terrible footwork and I had a lot of things I had to get better on.”

“I’m pretty weird, honestly,” Atewogbola said with a smile. “People call me odd sometimes. I take that as a compliment. My sense of humor is odd. Not everybody can be the same. I don’t try to be like everybody else. You can’t copy and paste. I want to be different.”

“Minnesota recruited him (Boye Mafe), developed him, then he got drafted in the second round and led the Seahawks in sacks,” Coach Gibson said. “There’s a reason Minnesota was so attractive to (Atewogbola) when they started recruiting him.”

“They have football, food and a weight room,” Enoch said. “Before I even got the offer, I knew Minnesota had the coaches I wanted to play for. Even though I hadn’t been on campus yet, I knew they were coaches I wanted to spend four years playing for. They took a chance on me.”

“You can’t skip a set in the weight room and look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you’re going to be an NFL superstar,” Enoch said. “How can you take yourself seriously?”

With almost no football experience, Avon's Enoch Atewogbola rises to Big Ten recruit
(subscription needed for full article)

A few excerpts:
“He has no idea how good he is going to be,” Coach Gibson said. “But the best thing about Enoch is no matter how good he gets, he is never going to feel like he’s satisfied. He’s never going to wake up and feel like he’s made it. He’s always going to question himself and ask, ‘Did I work hard enough?’ or ‘Did I push hard enough?’”

Quickly, 50 pushups a day was too easy. He worked up to 100. Then 200. Then 700. On two successive days that summer he pumped out 1,000 and 1,001 pushups. Why?

“I’ve always prided myself in working,” Enoch said. “It gives you an advantage and gives you confidence because you did the work. There’s nothing to be nervous about if you did the work. Basketball didn’t come naturally. I had to put in a lot of work. I was skinny, I had terrible footwork and I had a lot of things I had to get better on.”

“I’m pretty weird, honestly,” Atewogbola said with a smile. “People call me odd sometimes. I take that as a compliment. My sense of humor is odd. Not everybody can be the same. I don’t try to be like everybody else. You can’t copy and paste. I want to be different.”

“Minnesota recruited him (Boye Mafe), developed him, then he got drafted in the second round and led the Seahawks in sacks,” Coach Gibson said. “There’s a reason Minnesota was so attractive to (Atewogbola) when they started recruiting him.”

“They have football, food and a weight room,” Enoch said. “Before I even got the offer, I knew Minnesota had the coaches I wanted to play for. Even though I hadn’t been on campus yet, I knew they were coaches I wanted to spend four years playing for. They took a chance on me.”

“You can’t skip a set in the weight room and look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you’re going to be an NFL superstar,” Enoch said. “How can you take yourself seriously?”
Say through a course one time and the professor talked about psychopaths and sociopaths. How jobs like CEOs to Special Operations are made up of these types of people who are high functioning and have aligned interests/values. More anecdotal than anything but still very interesting.

These quotes make me think this kid is in a similar vein. I get the connotation of those titles may seem derogatory but I think it’s become similar to describing people as “built different” or “locked in”.

Seems like a very driven and aware young man. Can’t wait to see him live up to that Mafe hype!

Top Bottom