End of the BCS?

Maverick

Reaction score
Lawmaker proposing bill to end BCS system

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer

WASHINGTON (AP)—Taking aim at a BCS system he said “consistently misfires,” a member of Congress planned to introduce legislation Wednesday that would force college football to adopt a playoff to determine the national champion.
Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the ranking Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, didn’t specify what sort of playoff he wants—only that the BCS should go.
“In some years the sport’s national championship winner was left unsettled, and at least one school was left out of the many millions of dollars in revenue that accompany the title,” Barton said in a statement released ahead of the bill’s introduction. “Despite repeated efforts to improve the system, the controversy rages on.”
He said the bill—being co-sponsored by Reps. Bobby Rush, an Illinois Democrat, and Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican—“will prohibit the marketing, promotion, and advertising of a postseason game as a ‘national championship’ football game, unless it is the result of a playoff system. Violations of the prohibition will be treated as violations of the Federal Trade Commission Act as an unfair or deceptive act or practice.”

The BCS was created in 1998 by the six most powerful conferences. Since then, the system has been tweaked to make it easier for teams from smaller conferences to qualify for the top games. The sites for the four BCS bowls—the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta—take turns hosting a championship game between the top two teams in the BCS standings, which are based on two human polls and six computer ratings.
This season, Florida (12-1) and Oklahoma (12-1) will meet in the BCS title game Jan. 8 in Miami.
Barton cited Southern California in 2003 and undefeated Auburn in 2004 as examples of worthy teams left out of the BCS national championship game.
“This year, we again have two teams with one loss each playing for the ‘championship,’ while two undefeated teams and four additional teams with only one loss will play in bowl games, but none can become ‘champion,”’ he said.
When an Energy and Commerce subcommittee held a hearing about the BCS in 2005, lawmakers said they weren’t going to pursue legislation.
“The BCS method of determining who is No. 1 consistently misfires,” Barton said Wednesday. “Simply exposing the flaws and subjecting them to discussion … hasn’t led to improvement by those who run the system.”

Opinions?

Opinions?

My opinion is that this idiot is trying to grab a headline for a day or two and suck up to his Longhorn-loving constituents. It's one thing for Obama to answer a hypothetical question about a college football playoff, it's another for a member of Congress to actually waste time on something so trivial.

I hope this Barton character is defeated when it comes time for re-election.

Millions of dollars is at stake each year and much of it going to State Universities - hardly trivial -imo.

However, how the national championship is currently conducted/decided is certainly a joke.

later
walter

People need to understand that college football is not like the NFL. The entire season of the NFL is devoted to determining a single 'world champion'. The entire goal of the sport of college football as we know it (and have always known it) is NOT to determine a single national champion. There are many other goals that a college team can have like winning their conference, or making a bowl game, or in our case, making a January bowl game.

There are enough problems for Washington to fix. They don't need to get involved with college sports. Enough said.

My opinion is that this idiot is trying to grab a headline for a day or two and suck up to his Longhorn-loving constituents. It's one thing for Obama to answer a hypothetical question about a college football playoff, it's another for a member of Congress to actually waste time on something so trivial.

I hope this Barton character is defeated when it comes time for re-election.

Actually, I know for a fact that Barton is an Aggie fan, not a Longhorn fan. Also, he comes from a district in which he will never lose.

If you think this bill is getting in the way of solving real problems, you really need to turn on CSPAN.

Not an issue for Government

There are enough problems for Washington to fix. They don't need to get involved with college sports. Enough said.

It is bad enough the State of Texas requires certain schools to be members of the same conference. How a champion is determined is well outside what the Federal Government should be involved in.

Actually, I know for a fact that Barton is an Aggie fan, not a Longhorn fan. Also, he comes from a district in which he will never lose.

Well, I didn't say HE was a Longhorn fan, just that he was sucking up to his constituents who are.

Regardless, the whole thing is a joke, and hopefully will be forgotten by next week.

This needs to be tackled by someone. If Congress and the President Obama get everything else figured out then tackle this thing. Until then lets focus on the real problems, like the economy.

People need to understand that college football is not like the NFL. The entire season of the NFL is devoted to determining a single 'world champion'. The entire goal of the sport of college football as we know it (and have always known it) is NOT to determine a single national champion. There are many other goals that a college team can have like winning their conference, or making a bowl game, or in our case, making a January bowl game.

I think the BCS is doomed, it's just a matter of how long it lasts. I don't think this has anything to do with the NFL. It's more like being like every other collegiate sport, and in particular being like every other level of collegiate football.

Sooner or later, like it or not, we are going to have a tournament. It wouldn't be the first time we made a change in how we decided a champion: we changed to the AP Poll in the 30's, we changed to selecting a champion after the bowls instead of before, and we changed to the BCS. It's a question of what format the tournament will be. I think an 8 team tournament, with the 6 BCS champions getting autobids, and the remaining two spots going to the top 2 champions in the non-BCS conferences could work.

ESPN just paid $500 million to televise the BCS games from 2011-2013, so I don't think it will go away anytime before 2013.

This is just a waste of time for Washington. Keep them out of it!

Top Bottom