ELLIOT ELIASON: 36-20-7

Section201

Reaction score
Some more interesting numbers from future Gopher Elliot Eliason. 36 points and 20 rebounds would look good against some Big Ten foe! Pardon me for dreaming :)

The account also refers to Elliot as "the 7 foot post man".

From the Chadron News:

http://www.thechadronnews.com/articles/2010/02/23/chadron/sports/doc4b842a7d91d82531742694.txt

Eliason dominates as Cards top Hay Springs
By CON MARSHALL Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Playing his final game before his hometown fans, Chadron center Elliott Eliason was the dominator Saturday night as he poured in 36 points and grabbed 20 rebounds during the Cardinals’ 63-42 victory over Hay Springs in a battle between the Panhandle’s most successful teams this winter.

Just as many of the Cardinals’ other opponents have learned the past three years, Hay Springs couldn’t find an answer for the 7-foot post man. He had 20 points at halftime as Chadron built a 37-25 lead and he added 16 more in the second half. Eliason also ruled the rebounding at both ends of the court as the No. 1 ranked C-1 Cardinals improved their record to 19-2.

:clap::clap::clap:

What kind of competition does he play against?

Not sure, but Hay Springs does not scream Mater Dei

(PS - there's another post on this game from a few days ago [game was Saturday night])

Hay Springs is D-2, as compared to Chadron, C-1... but, they mix it up during the year (including against 'better' i.e. bigger schools).. there are a lot of situations where EE is the tallest player by a sizeable margin and he flat out goes under the basket and has his way.

Chadron had another slow start last night vs. Hershey, with EE getting into early foul trouble.. but, EE ultimately came through with a big second half (19 points) for a 25 point, 11 board evening and a Chadron victory, 62-44 (although it was a 2 point margin after 3 quarters). They are playing in the Subdistricts now and play again tomorrow night vs. Kimball (not a very good team... should be another victory)

Rouser

Quote:

Good one. :D

Class C-1 in Nebraska seems to be "middle" size schools. Omaha schools seem to be in Class A. Other notable town/schools in Class C-1 are Lincoln, Kearney, Wahoo, and Broken Bow.

I seriously doubt that he has been opposed by anyone of equal height in state.

Quote:

Class C-1 in Nebraska seems to be "middle" size schools. Omaha schools seem to be in Class A. Other notable town/schools in Class C-1 are Lincoln, Kearney, Wahoo, and Broken Bow.

umm... duh?
7-foot basketball players aren't very common, in case you hadn't noticed. But, it's likely he's faced some guys at 6'8" or so.
In either case, putting up 36 points with 20 boards is a great stat line.

Dude could score 50 points.....

and Art would still find something a little bit negative to say.....

Randy Brueur used to put up numbers like this at Lake City. I think Chardron has about 7,000 people - that probably results in a pretty similar level of competition to what Randy B. faced in SE Minnesota in the alte 1970's.

Also, if Elliot was good enough for Tubby to recruit (and for Stanford to recruit, and Creighton), he's good enough for me!

GW

(PS - there's another post on this game from a few days ago [game was Saturday night])

Hay Springs is D-2, as compared to Chadron, C-1... but, they mix it up during the year (including against 'better' i.e. bigger schools).. there are a lot of situations where EE is the tallest player by a sizeable margin and he flat out goes under the basket and has his way.

Chadron had another slow start last night vs. Hershey, with EE getting into early foul trouble.. but, EE ultimately came through with a big second half (19 points) for a 25 point, 11 board evening and a Chadron victory, 62-44 (although it was a 2 point margin after 3 quarters). They are playing in the Subdistricts now and play again tomorrow night vs. Kimball (not a very good team... should be another victory)

Thanks GW. I either missed that one or forgot about it.

:)

I'm just glad he's taking a RS. All 7 footers that aren't top 10-15 recruits should take a RS IMO

I'm just glad he's taking a RS. All 7 footers that aren't top 10-15 recruits should take a RS IMO

Who said he's taking a redshirt?

There are many variables that could determine this one way or the other. You'll know in about 10 months whether or not he will redshirt -- it certainly isn't known at this point.

Who said he's taking a redshirt?

There are many variables that could determine this one way or the other. You'll know in about 10 months whether or not he will redshirt -- it certainly isn't known at this point.

Obviously, at this point it isn't cut and dry. But all signs point to a redshirt, considering Mbakwe is believed to be innocent, and barring a transfer or serious injury in the off-season.

We'd have Ralph, Colton, Mbakwe AND Eliason inside. Talk about unnecessary.

Quote:

C-1 towns range in size from 1000 to 6000 or so. The C-1 schools in the bigger towns are parochial schools. Omaha and Lincoln are primarily class A. He did have a good summer in AAU ball. Chadron has played a few games against class B schools with size and he has done well. The fact that he is from a small school does merit the question of the competition.

I attended the Heartland Hoops Classic in Grand Island on the 13th of Febuary. Eliason was guarded by a 6'10" kid from Omaha, I think it they were A or B division, who looked alot more athletic than him. The difference was Eliason actually has a pretty sweet little turnaround with his back to the bucket and the kid can board pretty well. He still needs 40 pounds on him, but he has improved from last year.

Anytime a kid goes 36 points and 20 boards you have to give him credit. The kid that guarded him couldn't do anything against Eliason. He was pretty solid on defense, nothing spectacular, but when you are 7' you just need to stand in the middle. He was amost dunked over as a kid about 6' left his feet from the foul line and hit the back iron. It would have been pretty sweet had he made it.

C-1 towns range in size from 1000 to 6000 or so. The C-1 schools in the bigger towns are parochial schools. Omaha and Lincoln are primarily class A. He did have a good summer in AAU ball. Chadron has played a few games against class B schools with size and he has done well. The fact that he is from a small school does merit the question of the competition.

I played at a class C-1 school in Nebraska when I was in high school. I was the center and was 6'4". We went 20-4 our senior year and I averaged 16 pts and 12 rebounds. I was not an outstanding player by any means. Our town had 550 people. I really don't think we can judge him based on his high school season, but need to look at what he can do in AAU and against better, bigger competition.

To be honest, I have been very surprised that he doesn't put up 36-20 numbers against that competition more often. I would be shocked if he was guarded by many guys that are over 6'6" very often, and he may not even see that height frequently.

Very happy to have him on board if Tubby deems him worthy, but I would guess he will be a major project. But as they say, you can't teach height.

Elliot Eliason's Chadron squad is heading to state next week in Lincoln (March 11-13). They were going to make state no matter the outcome of tonight's (Monday, 3/1/10) C1-6 District Championship game against Minden.

Last game, the Cardinals beat up on Kimball 61-31, taking a 10-0 lead to start the game and never looking back. EE had 18 points, 8 boards, 5 assists and 3 blocks in that one.

Tonight, it was Minden's turn to feel the wrath... i.e., height... of the Minnesota-bound Eliason.
First quarter starts off slow.. 7-7, sloppy play, EE with 2 points. Second quarter, it's all Eliason. EE scores all of his team's 12 points and they take a 19-12 halftime lead. Minden's biggest guys are 6'4".. Chadron threw the ball inside to Elliot and let him go up with the ball while being double and tripled teamed. The smaller Minden guys got into early foul trouble.. refs not letting them get away with blatant holding and elbowing. 2 guys fouled out, another had 4 fouls.. all due to fouling the heck out of EE. Announcer kept saying that this was the first time all year that the refs have called a 'normal game'... refs have usually let defenders push Eliason and get away with holding him up with forearms all year long without calling it.

In the third quarter, Minden outscored Chadron 14-10, cutting the lead to 3 points... it stayed close for much of the fourth quarter, before Chadron pulled away near the end, winning 42-34.

Eliason with 27 points... started off 0/3 from the line, but finished 7/12, including 5/7 in the 4th quarter. His teammate Zac Bargen had 9,.. no one else had more than 3 points for the 21-2 Cardinals, who won their fourth consecutive district championship tonight.

Good the kid's team is doing well and he's putting up some nice numbers.. but I think TWeber's comments explain it well: Eliason has been standing under the basket with multiple guys a half foot or more shorter than him, hanging all over him... which doesn't translate to what he'll see next year real well. But, he's coming into a good situation where he doesn't need to be a huge contributor right away and can learn from the older big men. I'll be cheering for them to win state.

It's been said before, but I think a redshirt next year will be a tremendous opportunity (to steal some words from Brew) for Eliason. He gets to bulk up a bit and practice every day against a couple of 7-footers in Ralph and Colt rather than get the hack a shaq from players half a foot shorter than him. That isn't helping him develop. He won't have much of a role in the next two years but I would love to see him getting the chance to start or see significant minutes in a couple of years as a redshirt sophomore.

Every class in Nebraska under Class A is small. Class A are all the Public Schools in Lincoln and Omaha plus the bigger towns across the state, basically 1,000+ students.

Hays Springs, the school this result came against, has 53 students.

Nebraska High School basketball is pretty terrible.

Nate

Every class in Nebraska under Class A is small. Class A are all the Public Schools in Lincoln and Omaha plus the bigger towns across the state, basically 1,000+ students.

Hays Springs, the school this result came against, has 53 students.

Nebraska High School basketball is pretty terrible.

53 ???

That is Edgerton-esque.

http://www.edgertonabblegend.net/

His redshirt next year may depend on Mbakwe's trial outcome....

Top Bottom