Ellestad, Garrin and Michael Carter all competing to keep starting spots

Kicking was a gigantic minus on Saturday.

That return was 99% on the kicker.

Whaaaaaa?

99%? Are you kidding me? The guy caught it on the 4 yard line at the right, went completely to the other side of the field and scored from the left side...

The kicker? So the other 10 players stayed perfectly in their lanes and were all knocked down by Ellestad when they went to make the tackle. I remember that...

It is a lame excuse, even for the coach, to blame the kicker. I'd say he's no more than 9% at fault.

I remember our last kicker missing 30% of his PATs and being unable to get the kick-offs inside the 5 yard line. Ever.

Whaaaaaa?

99%? Are you kidding me? The guy caught it on the 4 yard line at the right, went completely to the other side of the field and scored from the left side...

The kicker? So the other 10 players stayed perfectly in their lanes and were all knocked down by Ellestad when they went to make the tackle. I remember that...

It is a lame excuse, even for the coach, to blame the kicker. I'd say he's no more than 9% at fault.

I remember our last kicker missing 30% of his PATs and being unable to get the kick-offs inside the 5 yard line. Ever.

I think he is referring to the line drive he kicked. It may have gone to the 4, but our return team was at the 40 when he got it.

Apparently, Cosgrove and Lee read my 9/20 post above...I hear that KGM is starting tomorrow. Hope the DL can find the right combo of guys and get the sack count going. Go gophers!

Anyone remember the comments Larry Fitzgerald made about catching passes from Weber during the first year of his camp (2009) at The Bank? I have tried researching it on StarTribune.com, but not had any luck finding the 2009 camp info. Only finding the 2010 camp info.

If Moses sees much of the field next year it will be quite a feather in the staff's cap. I know a lot of BloomJeff coaches (he excelled at both Fball and Bball) and know them very well, but I understand what weight that carries on this board, there has never been a question about his talent, it's always been about work ethic. If they can get him to work hard, they will be the first staff to do so.

With that being said, I see 100% Gray at starting QB next fall.

Vareen replace Carter

And nobody is challenging Collado? Oh I take that back the opponents are.

And nobody is challenging Collado? Oh I take that back the opponents are.

Collado is playing the best of all the dbs right now, imo. Carter is up and down...I thing he read GH too much and believed the hype. He is talented, but needs to be more disciplined in how he practices during the week, not just on Saturdays.

I think Collado is best served as a blitzing, run support guy. But he does have some nice experience back there, which is sorely needed.

Alipate was a D1 recruit for 2 reasons

1) name recognition
2) Big Frame, Big Arm starting on a Lake Conference team as a sophomore

20 years ago he wouldn't have gotten a D1 scholarship. This is a classic example of the new recruiting system gone wrong. With everyone needing to get offers and commits after junior year, people get offers based on frames and their soph/jr year rather than their play during their senior year.

Just sit back and watch. Alipate is not good.

Recruiting high school kids to college athletic teams has always been about gauging what players will be like physically and mentally two or three years in the future. High school performance is just one factor involved and often, rightly so, it's not the most important consideration. In addition, each coaching staff adopts its own approach and set of priorities, so I don't believe recruiting is as formula-driven as you contend. Under your system, it sounds like a player who had a great junior year and a so-so final high school season would receive short shrift. Big mistake to place too much emphasis on senior performance. Even pro athletes have peaks and valleys during their careers and frequently we see that a change of scenery is all it takes to bring out an extraordinary season or two. So look at Alipate from this point of view and perhaps you see what Gopher coaches saw. The right kid, the right place, a couple years of intense competition and coaching and let's see what happens. The "he'll never" stuff seldom holds up. We heard it here ad nauseum (he'll never be a B10 player) when McKnight was offered along with the other Skyline kids and now not only does he contribute, he does so in an important way. Green is a guy most of us were excited about and he's steadily running out of time to make an impact.

I think Collado is best served as a blitzing, run support guy. But he does have some nice experience back there, which is sorely needed.

It's the same old problem we've always had at the DB spot. We always lack depth and so keep putting experience ahead of talent. It dumbs down the whole defense as you alluded to. But what else are you going to do, the kids aren't ready for prime time.

Hopefully the kids catch on, Royston comes back and takes a little pressure off, and Collado goes back to his most effective role.

With the score 19-14 to begin the 4th quarter. The play that sticks in my mind is Barkley throwing a post corner to Ausberry at the goal line. Collado was lost at the 1, turning around and the safety I think it was Theret was coming over behind Ausberry in the endzone. The ball was delivered with enough elevation that Ausberry at 6'4" was able to elevate and catch it over the spinning 5'9 Collado. Collado cannot find the ball in the air, and he has consistently shown it. Collado is not a Big 10 Starting Corner. At best he might be a nickle or dime player. But he has done the time, the work, and he is rewarded.

I would love to see Vareeen and Carter as the starting corners. Theret and Manuel should be ok.

You watch Collado carefully, he is defenseless. Any team that doesn't pick on him, is missing the opportunity.

Don't forget how impressive Collado was at Iowa playing the nickel. He's like Punto for the Twins. In the utility role he's an incredibly valuable player, in a starting role not so much.

Right now I think Henderson is ahead of Vareen, but all three are going to be big time corners.

Top Bottom