Eliason to Gophers!

borninthebarn

True Believer
Reaction score
from Rivals front page:

"Tubby Smith and his Golden Gopher staff received exciting news Wednesday night when they received a call from 6-foot-11 center Elliott Eliason. The Chadron, Nebraska center committed to Minnesota after taking three days to mull over his basketball options at Stanford, Minnesota, and Creighton. Eliason visited the Gopher campus last weekend officially."

He has a very small offer list, how excited should we be about this commitment?

I'll take a nearly 7 footer with Creighton and Stanford offers any day.

Oftentimes the best big men develop after being moderate recruits. Plus, we know that he won't have clearinghouse issues if Stanford is offering him, I like that.

Perfect recruit for this year. My guess is that this class is going to better than expected.

I think people are forgetting that Stanford has a better hoops pedigree (over past 10 years) than Minnesota so its not a bad thing that Stanford is on the list. As Nate pointed out..he won't have any issued getting into school. This kid will be able to develop for a couple years before he is asked to play big minutes. Perfect.

Offer List

Maybe I missed something but up to this point the articles have stated that his choice was between MN, Stanford and Creighton, not that those were the only offers.

While he doesn't sound like he's of the same caliber as some of our recruits the past couple years I can't imagine Tubby is bringing in a stiff just for the sake of signing someone.

It's great to see something other than a Sked Update on the bball board! Great news!

Yea Tubby. It takes some 3 star projects to build a program. Many of the 5 star guys are one year and out. He will have some time to mature and bulk up to a Big 10 body. Now we need a point guard.

It seems that bigs are tougher to project then other positions. Plenty of three star recruits turn out quite well. At any rate it's good to see them get someone they have been targeting.

Congrats To Gophers!

Eliason was Gatorade HS A-A (named POY in Nebraska) in 2009. His HS team was undefeated until the state finals.

Nice "get" over Stanford!

I noticed he was listed 6'9'' on scout and espn but 6'11'' on rivals? I remember reading that Iverson had grown to be a 7 footer but dont know if thats true.

So who are the favorites to get the last two scholarships?

I noticed he was listed 6'9'' on scout and espn but 6'11'' on rivals? I remember reading that Iverson had grown to be a 7 footer but dont know if thats true.

Last year, one of his family members sent me a PM that he was 6-11 now. Iverson that is, not Eliason.

Can't match those chicken fingers anywhere.

Great commitment for the Gophers. Excited to have Eliason in the fold!

I agree. Pretty savvy to consider that folks from his area might drive an hour or so to eat good in the neighborhood.

Applebee's in North Platte (along I-80) may be the closest to Chadron - over 100 miles though.

Nice get for the Gophers, another big guy!

You people are funny...it's not like Chadron doesn't have any restaurants or that he's never been to a big city. Pretty sure Applebees didn't play into his decision.

Regardless, congrats Elliott, can't wait to see you in Maroon and Gold!

This is a real nice fit and get for the gophers. Good but not great, with the potential of being great. We'll see how the senior year goes. It's a great opportunity for him to play with good upperclassmen. He'll finish his collegiate career stronger with that type of mentoring and practice opportunities. I think this is good fit for everybody. Plus he probably wants to win a Big 10 championship.

And you people also should recognize that Applebee's is in the best hotel in the area and the only one on campus. It's impossible to get into Al's and I'm not going to walk/drive to Denny's from the Radisson for breakfast. Lunch is a different matter, but Applebee's is probably a more conducive atmosphere for a quality conversation then a real noisy bar. We stayed at the Radisson this weekend and ate at Applebee's for breakfast - when you're slow going in the morning it's really nice just to take the elevator and walk into a restaurant for breakfast. We did our best to spread our dollars around the rest of the restaurants and bars for the remainder of the day(s) last weekend. Applebee's was also one of the few bars with outside seating last weekend, most pulled their tables (like Sally's) for standing room only.

You people are funny...it's not like Chadron doesn't have any restaurants or that he's never been to a big city. Pretty sure Applebees didn't play into his decision.

Regardless, congrats Elliott, can't wait to see you in Maroon and Gold!

I agree. The reason that I know where the Applebee's in western Nebraska are located is that North Platte (and Kearney) are the only 2 places along I-80 on the way to/from Utah and Chicago.

My wife likes Applebee's and it does play into her decision where we stop to eat on those trips.

Here is an article with quotes from the newest Gopher, per ScoutHoops.com:

Elliot Eliason made his decision late Wednesday night. He's off to the Big Ten.

Elliott Eliason cut his list of schools to three. But after an official visit and an in-home with Tubby Smith, the 6-foot-11, 240-pound center opted to give the Minnesota head coach a verbal pledge.
"I took a visit out to Minnesota this past weekend and coach Smith came down on Wednesday," Eliason said. "I committed last night and I felt like it was the best place for me, so I decided to committed."

Eliason, a product of Chadron (Neb.) High, also considered Stanford and Creighton, before ultimately decidign on the Golden Gophers. The talented big man said the visit and the head coach both played big roles in his decision.

"It went really well," he said about the visit. "That was one of the reasons I decided to commit beacause of how impressed I was with the kids and the coaching staff."

"Just having coach Smith there [stood out]," he added. "That was big. There players just spoke for themselves. They are great kids too."

Eliason is the first verbal commitment for Minnesota's 2010 class.

Go Gophers!!

Here is an article with quotes from the newest Gopher, per ScoutHoops.com:

Elliot Eliason made his decision late Wednesday night. He's off to the Big Ten.

Elliott Eliason cut his list of schools to three. But after an official visit and an in-home with Tubby Smith, the 6-foot-11, 240-pound center opted to give the Minnesota head coach a verbal pledge.
"I took a visit out to Minnesota this past weekend and coach Smith came down on Wednesday," Eliason said. "I committed last night and I felt like it was the best place for me, so I decided to committed."

Eliason, a product of Chadron (Neb.) High, also considered Stanford and Creighton, before ultimately decidign on the Golden Gophers. The talented big man said the visit and the head coach both played big roles in his decision.

"It went really well," he said about the visit. "That was one of the reasons I decided to commit beacause of how impressed I was with the kids and the coaching staff."

"Just having coach Smith there [stood out]," he added. "That was big. There players just spoke for themselves. They are great kids too."

Eliason is the first verbal commitment for Minnesota's 2010 class.

Go Gophers!!

Lol this was a professional web publication? Did a 3rd grader write it?

Regardless, this is a perfect fit, IMO, for this team; they need a future - not present - big man and Elliott will get great experience every day for at least 2 years with the likes of Colton and Ralph. If I recall, wasn't Elliott one of Tubby's first targets this past year?

Lol this was a professional web publication? Did a 3rd grader write it?

Regardless, this is a perfect fit, IMO, for this team; they need a future - not present - big man and Elliott will get great experience every day for at least 2 years with the likes of Colton and Ralph. If I recall, wasn't Elliott one of Tubby's first targets this past year?

Lol, I didn't notice any of these, and I am normally a stickler for grammar.

Seriously though, why couldn't they have gone to Big 10? That's across the street from the hotel. I guess it might have been busy on gameday but still...

Even more seriously (this email has taken an odd turn:D), picking up a developing 3 * big (one of Tubby's first targets too) who will redshirt is pretty much like picking up a 4 * next year. This is a great pickup any way you slice it. I definitely thought he was Stanford-bound. If we could somehow manage to get McCallum I would be very happy with this class. Even guys like Hollins and Williams would be good pickups with rising profiles.

Our outstate commits always seem to come out of nowhere. Sampson and Cobbs were two guys I didn't expect to commit when they did, and Joseph I didn't expect at all.

Lol, I didn't notice any of these, and I am normally a stickler for grammar.

Seriously though, why couldn't they have gone to Big 10? That's across the street from the hotel. I guess it might have been busy on gameday but still...

Even more seriously (this email has taken an odd turn:D), picking up a developing 3 * big (one of Tubby's first targets too) who will redshirt is pretty much like picking up a 4 * next year. This is a great pickup any way you slice it. I definitely thought he was Stanford-bound. If we could somehow manage to get McCallum I would be very happy with this class. Even guys like Hollins and Williams would be good pickups with rising profiles.

Our outstate commits always seem to come out of nowhere. Sampson and Cobbs were two guys I didn't expect to commit when they did, and Joseph I didn't expect at all.

I had a hunch he'd commit to the Gophers! They'd been pursuing him for quite a while. I think a bigger factor in his decision was extended family from Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Though, of course I'm biased...

I had a hunch he'd commit to the Gophers! They'd been pursuing him for quite a while. I think a bigger factor in his decision was extended family from Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Though, of course I'm biased...

If I'm inferring right that you might be one of those relatives, I bet you're excited and I hope it works better for him than it did for the last player with a relative who joined the forum.

Top Bottom