Eighth Grader Ian Theisen Gets Early Looks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Monter:

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/944833.html

Apple Valley eighth grader Tyus Jones is not the only middle schooler to play varsity basketball in the Twin Cities. Ian Theisen, a 6-foot-7 center from Osseo, has also attracted early attention from Minnesota. Theisen attended the recent Minnesota-Michigan State game. GoldenSports.Net recently caught up with Theisen to learn the latest on his early season play.

Theisen, who attended the recent Minnesota-Michigan State game, is expected to play for Minnesota Pump N Run 15-and-under team. Theisen is starting to get some recruiting attention, despite his young age

"I am starting to hear from some schools. Not too much, just telling me that they are looking at me. Nothing too serious."

Theisen made his first unofficial visit to the Gopher-Buckeye game last month.

"This is my first one that I was actually invited to. It was really fun. You can't get any better than this. Second row down, mid-court."

Go Gophers!!

I understand trying to get a leg up on your competition, especially with in-state recruits...but is anyone else starting to wonder how far things are going to go with such young players?

I understand trying to get a leg up on your competition, especially with in-state recruits...but is anyone else starting to wonder how far things are going to go with such young players?

I like starting them young. Sing the rouser to a baby; who needs a stuffed bear when you can have Goldy. Get them to bleed maroon and gold, which could include very early unofficial visits finished off with a trip to Stadium Village for a a tatoo of Goldy.

which could include very early unofficial visits finished off with a trip to Stadium Village for a a tatoo of Goldy.

Ironic because Royce White has a "TC" tattooed on his arm to show his twin cities love

Hey, if they are starting to make an impact on the varsity level already in eighth grade like Jones and Theisen are why not get a leg in before the rest of the schools around the country start to, especially in your home state. It doesn't hurt to put feelers out if the kid is already showing potential in eighth grade on varsity for a school like Valley or Osseo in my opinion.

It is already pretty standard to go after kids this age in ice hockey. Kyle Okposo had an "advisor" (wannabe agent) at age 14.

Seth Ambroz committed to Lucia and the Gopher puck team when he was 14 also. Seth will be arriving Sept/2011.

As long as the kid isn't being forced to do anything by his parents or any wannabe agents, I've got no problems showing him a good time at a game. We need all the help we can get, and this sounds pretty harmless.

I don't like it, but it's part of college basketball for now. I don't see any positive to college's getting involved with kids before they have completed their sophomore year of high school. I want Tubby to do whatever is necessary to compete, but I wish the NCAA would step in and create some guidelines for a certain grade level where schools can contact kids.

I really don't see what the problem is with this. They're getting in early and making sure the kid knows that the Gophers are interested, and giving them good seats at the game to make the visit better.

It's not like he's getting a scholarship offer and it definitely isn't as if the coaching staff is starting to push for a commitment. How long do you want to wait on a kid you think is going to be good? Until all of the other schools jump in? Maybe he never progresses and never gets a scholarship offer, but there's certainly no harm in making contact early and letting them know you're interested.

Maybe he never progresses and never gets a scholarship offer, but there's certainly no harm in making contact early and letting them know you're interested.
Good point, good point...

Looking and watching is harmless, in more ways than one. While I do think this is the way college BB is heading, at least Tubby didn't make any offers and get any oral commitments like Lane Kiffin at USC did with a 13-year old QB.

We could argue you for days about whether or not this is ethical. The fact remains that this practice of watching 8th graders is commonplace. I'm glad Tubby's after these kids early.

I've seen Theisen play a couple of times this year for Osseo. Early thougths, runs the floor well, finishes with either had which at this age is unbelievable, pretty athletic and has a very smooth jumpshot and rebounds pretty well. He'll obviously need to work on explosion and strength but to be legit 6'7" as an 8th grader he moves really well. Looks to weigh in the 200 lb category as well so he's going to be a big kid.

I have nothing against scouting and letting kids know you are interested that young. Now if you offer them a scholarhship and "actively" recuiting them meaning calling and sending mail as much as possible I have a problem with that. If you are a coach and you aren't ALWAYS scouting talent you aren't doing your job. Simple things like going to a kids game and making sure they can see you can say alot to a kid that young.

it is allowed by the NCAA and I agree that it helps to start young. I am glad Tubby is involved. I wonder how many other Jr High aged --Varsity player (JHVP) are being "watched" by the Gopher program around the country?

I'm sure there are kids all over the country being watched by D1 programs and I have no problem with them being watched. It would be my hope the "Lane Kiffins" of the world allow these kids to grow up and mature and keep into proper perspective what college is all about. I get a bit more queasy each year as I see the continued evolution of "national signing day" turning into a soap opera. Although the kid who first had the idea to put three caps on his table and put the one on which he had chosen should have trademarked that bit.

If the player is in your backyard go get 'em as early as they need to.

My son played with/against him during weekly workouts this past summer. He's got 2 inches on my son and about 20 lbs - they beat each other up and nearly brought each other to tears a few times because it got so physical. Ian could be a very nice player - good skills for an 8th grader as has been mentioned, pretty mobile, and more intriguing is that he plays with a lot of energy, not a passive big man.

While watching a summer league game involving elite high school age hockey players I once struck up a conversation with the mom of one of the players. She told me she had been approached by a WCHA coach during a game when her son was 9 years old. He had introduced himself and told her he would be keeping an eye on her son. Pure talent can be identified at a very early age. It is then a matter of physical growth (more so in bb) and the intangibles like work,determination, coachability, desire etc which take longer to determine.

Top Bottom