EIGHT national titles?

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
If the U added a seventh national title on the strength of Billingsley rating the Gophers no. 1 in 1904, why not eight? He ranked the Gophers no. 1 in 1915, too.

as you said....why not. michigan sure makes sure to take credit for nearly ALL of their pre-1936 national titles. if i am not mistaken, michigan has only won 2 NC's post 1936, but publicly take credit for far more than that.

Right, they make a big deal about these early title claims. An interesting side point is that the 1916 Gophers would have been national champs, having annihilated everyone on their schedule - except Illinois, which pulled off a huge 14-9 upset with Walter Camp and other famous folks in the Northrup stands that day. Doc Williams was outfoxed by the Illinois game plan.

If the U added a seventh national title on the strength of Billingsley rating the Gophers no. 1 in 1904, why not eight? He ranked the Gophers no. 1 in 1915, too.

random fact: do you know who was a starter (and i believe captain) on that 1915 gopher football squad you speak of? a rather "successful" former gopher football coach by the name of bernie bierman of springfield, mn. doesn't surprise me that the gopher football teams he played on were high performers as well. he was successful as both a coach AND as a player.

I'd forgotten that. He was also a U.S. Marine. As a small kid, I was privileged to see him up close when my dad took me to the Iowa game in 1949. We were right behind and maybe one row above the Gopher sideline. Bernie was right there with his assistants. The Gophers ran away with it, 55-7, and I remember Leo Nomellini coming off the field, laughing and taking off his helmet as the game got out of hand. That was the famous '49er team with Bud Grant, Clayt Tonnemaker, Billy Bye and Gordy Soltau. Nomellini and Tonnemaker were consensus All-Americans.

More history about the 1915 and 1916 games with Illinois.

Bernie Bierman was captain of the 1915 team; however, he was injured (broken leg i believe) and did not play against the Illini in Champaign, Illinois. The game ended in a six-six tie. My uncle scored Minnesota's touchdown in the first quarter. The tie was the only blemish on their 1915 schedule. The Gophers were conference champs.

The 1916 Gopher team was truly remarkable. The Gophers scored 348 points and gave up 28. They defeated Iowa 67-0; Wisconsin 54-0; and Chicago 49-0. Alas, they lost to the Illini (coached by Bob Zuppke) 14-9. For the second consecutive year, Minnesota's sole touchdown against the Illini was scored by my uncle.

He also scored four touchdowns against the Hawkeyes in 1916. He was a starting halfback for the Gophers in 1916. He also lettered in track and was the recipient of the Big ten Conference Medal that year, which was awarded annually to one student athlete at each conference school. With the advent of women's sports, two medals are given each year: one female athlete and one male athlete. My uncle then had a distinguished medical career.

There's no doubt, had Minnesota not fallen to the Illini in a big upset they would have been conference and national champs. Nationally recognized sportswriter Grantland Rice was at the Minnesota-Illini game and had been singing the praises of the 1916 contingent. The football world was stunned at Minnesota's loss.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom