Ed Dechellis leaving Penn State to coach at Navy

Strange. I'd say the NCAA run bought him at least 2 years and got him off the hot seat.

Strange indeed, but I can understand his thought process. He must feel like the posse is still waiting for him despite last year's NCAA bid, and he must figure he'll get canned after next season if the season goes as poorly as most anticipate.

Seems like an honorable gentleman and I like him as a coach, so Navy should be a good fit for him.

Will be interesting to see who's interested in the job. It's pretty clear Penn State fans in general don't give a lick about basketball, which is too bad. They have a nice facility, but usually it's more than half empty.

I love the fact that DeChellis is leaving the Big Ten. Now PSU ought to find a coach who A) will play somewhat uptempo and B) actually knows what type of athlete that it takes to win in the Big Ten. DeChellis never beat Matta a single time over the past seven years - you'd think if he was worth his salt as a coach he'd manage a win or two against everybody over seven years - ED also had an extremely (i.e., several seasons) long losing streak against UW before last season.

Honestly, the PSU job is not as bad as that ESPN article makes it out to be - yes, they are in a rebuilding mode currently, but that means expectations are low, and PSU is a good school with a lot of positives - there are no NCAA sanctions/penalties looming, good location, good facilities, and they have a passionate fanbase such that there's no doubt the fan support will be there if the team is any good. Again, I think this is a time where PSU should stress hiring an UPTEMPO coach, one who will help change the complexion of the Big Ten a little - it's OK for the Big Ten to have a team or two like Wisconsin slowing it down as long as that style is successful in consistently earning NCAA bids and producing pretty good teams year after year & but it's not acceptable to have your bottom-feeders exercising the same slow down philosophy and almost never making the tournament because that's what results in 30-point final scores and a bad reputation for the league.

I did think it was odd Staten decided to go to PSU for their "uptempo" style in the first place given they were one of the slowest paced teams in all of college basketball last season, and that is something that is hard to explain, especially when you consider that they had two of the fastest guards in the league and they were a very experienced team. So now that PSU is losing ED, they will likely speed up the tempo somewhat & that shouldn't hurt their chances to retain Staten - I doubt he's saying "damn, I really wanted to play for Ed DeChellis, he is a Big Ten icon."

Ross Travis from Chaska is an "11 PSU recruit. Can't imagine this would enthuse any kid going across country to get a new coach before you even step on campus.

Top Bottom