Ed Conroy to be named new Gophers basketball assistant for Richard Pitino

DMan

Reaction score
Ed Conroy per the trib is going to be the next assistant
too bad he didn't hire Jim Whitesell

per the STrib:

Former Tulane coach Ed Conroy will join Richard Pitino's Gophers staff as an assistant, Scout.com's Evan Daniels tweeted Friday.

Conroy, 49, spent six seasons leading Tulane's basketball program before being fired in March after a 12-22 season. In 10 seasons as a Division I head coach, he compiled a record of 141-179, including four seasons at The Citadel from 2006-10.

The Davenport, Iowa native had assistant coaching jobs at Coastal Carolina, Tennessee, Tulsa, Furman, Virginia Military Institute and North Carolina State.

http://www.startribune.com/ed-conro...tball-assistant-for-richard-pitino/392180621/

Go Gophers!!

Curious to what the Gopher faithful says here. Many clamored for a tenured coach....

Curious to what the Gopher faithful says here. Many clamored for a tenured coach....

There is little doubt he needed an experienced coach to help with numerous aspects of the program. Willard wasn't coming and it sounds like it came down to Conroy and Whitesell per Ryan James. Whitesell has been the associate head coach for Majerus at SLU and Nate Oates at Buffalo with an assistant stop with Steve Lavin St. Johns and is well respected in both recruiting and coaching. Conroy recently fired Tulane coach good guy who will have to shift to assistant coach mode on the fly.

I don't know a lot about him but on paper this seems like a good hire. Guy who has been around for awhile and has head coaching experience.

I don't know a lot about him but on paper this seems like a good hire. Guy who has been around for awhile and has head coaching experience.

Nothing to indicate what his wheelhouse is in coaching. Recruiting? Defense? Agreed that on paper head coaching looks good but it would be nice to know a little more about him.

He's 49, that means the oldest coach on the team is no longer Young (pun intended).

Top Bottom