Eastern Michigan receives a $1.4 million guarantee to play the Gophers Saturday night; MN/UNC to swap $200K for home-and-home

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

Mid-American Conference Opponent Eastern Michigan receives a $1.4 million guarantee to play the Gophers Saturday night at Huntington Bank Stadium, according to information obtained by Sports Headliners from the University of Minnesota. Sun Belt Conference member Louisiana will get $1.3 million for playing the Gophers in Minneapolis September 30.

The Gophers’ third nonconference game is on the road September 16 at North Carolina where the Tar Heels will pay a $200,000 guarantee to Minnesota. Next year NC is at Minnesota and will receive $200,000 as the visiting team.

Go Gophers!!

Another reason why a 10 game conf schedule will be beneficial, even if it cuts down on only a few of these million+ guarantees.

Another reason why a 10 game conf schedule will be beneficial, even if it cuts down on only a few of these million+ guarantees.
On the flip side, I wonder how dwindling guarantees will affect the low major side of football. How important are these to keeping the lights on at these schools?

On the flip side, I wonder how dwindling guarantees will affect the low major side of football. How important are these to keeping the lights on at these schools?
Depending on the program, it is VERY important.

I remember many years ago some FCS was up here playing us as part of a gauntlet of pre-season games. Their AD was quoted as saying that the pay day games was a substantial portion of their athletics budget that year and those games basically kept them afloat.

Granted this was a long time ago so i don't know if that's the case anymore. This was also before coaching salaries across revenue AND non revenue sports skyrocketed.

Remember, if you go to 10 conference games, you'll likely not see many good non-conference games. Just about everyone wants their 7 home games a year. That'll mean both non-conference games will always be at home which means MAC, FCS type teams.

Think they do that in case the latter year game gets cancelled, then they just keep the first year payment.

Didn’t Kill cancel on UNC 10 years ago or so?

Fair point that 10 conf might just mean every team does two buy games and never home/home non-conf, where they can. Think Iowa/Iowa State would still happen. New PAC schools might have some similar now non-conf matchups.

Let's get to 10 conference games.
Wanted that when it went to 16. Now I really want it.

I would be okay going to 11 conference games.

Would be harder for everyone to play 7 home games. So it’s a matter of if the Tv money from the increased conference games is > the lost revenue of playing 6 home games instead of 7 in some or all years.

If all 18 teams played 10 conference games and only have did two buy games and the other half did home and homes. = 117 games to sell to TV
90 conference games
27 non conference games about 18 of which will be cupcakes

99 non cupcake games

If it’s a 9 game conference schedule and all teams played 7 home games = 126 home games to sell to TV

81 conference games
45 non conference games
about 36 of which are cupcakes in a given year

90 non cupcake games

If you went a 12 game conference schedule
108 conference games
0 non conference games
At some point do those extra games become worth more $ in the tv contract than the gate

Going to be honest, I think the bottom half of the conference should be pushing for a 12 game conference schedule. For a school like Rutgers or northwestern…they’d definitely make more money with 6 home games instead of 7 and a bigger tv contract

Last edited:

Remember, if you go to 10 conference games, you'll likely not see many good non-conference games. Just about everyone wants their 7 home games a year. That'll mean both non-conference games will always be at home which means MAC, FCS type teams.
Yup.
Instead of good non conference games we will see more of USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska at home

Yes, with 10 conf games and 18 teams you can just exactly keep what they already announced.

3 locked in opponents, and you get to every other of the 14 stadiums over any 4 year stretch.

Good way to do it.

11 gets you to 20 teams, 12 to 22 teams. After that need longer season or else it doesn’t work anymore as is.

Last edited:

Top Bottom