Earth's Warming began before the Industrial Revolution

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
These renewable energies suck! Got down to 10 degrees last night. Currently have power but lost power from Monday morning at 1am until 4pm yesterday and then again from 1am this morning til 630am. More rolling outages to continue. In my 11 years in Minnesota I don't recall ever losing power during the winter time. Back in the 70's next week. Many down here in Houston have had no power, and some without water since Sunday evening. This is an infrastructure failure! Cant wait til all the blowhard libs make us drive electric vehicles, this will be a common occurrence.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Truth hurts don't it B....
Perhaps, but you aren't truthful. Your accusation reveals that Christians have historically not been involved in slavery. In fact the abolition movement would not have existed without the work of Christianity.
Yet, your communist friends have a 100% track record in barbaric brutality and slavery. Own your clan.

MennoSota

Reaction score
No.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas said the grid lost some 34,000 megawatts of power. Energy sources powering the grid were knocked offline, most of which were powered by natural gas, coal or nuclear energy, according to Houston Public Radio.

Why are Coal and Nuclear plants going offline?
Conspiracy?
Russian Hackers?
😂😂😂
AOC...

MennoSota

Reaction score
Better hope fusion reactors are built on mass scale over the next couple years. Of course we need someone to actually make fusion work beyond a theory...

GoodasGold

Reaction score
These renewable energies suck! Got down to 10 degrees last night. Currently have power but lost power from Monday morning at 1am until 4pm yesterday and then again from 1am this morning til 630am. More rolling outages to continue. In my 11 years in Minnesota I don't recall ever losing power during the winter time. Back in the 70's next week. Many down here in Houston have had no power, and some without water since Sunday evening. This is an infrastructure failure! Cant wait til all the blowhard libs make us drive electric vehicles, this will be a common occurrence.
Toughen up soldier. It’s only a little chill.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
These renewable energies suck! Got down to 10 degrees last night. Currently have power but lost power from Monday morning at 1am until 4pm yesterday and then again from 1am this morning til 630am. More rolling outages to continue. In my 11 years in Minnesota I don't recall ever losing power during the winter time. Back in the 70's next week. Many down here in Houston have had no power, and some without water since Sunday evening. This is an infrastructure failure!
https://fortune.com/2021/02/16/texas-power-outage-frozen-wind-turbines/

The majority of outages overnight were plants fueled by natural gas, coal and nuclear, which together make up more than two-thirds of power generation during winter.

“The wind is not solely to blame,” said Wade Schauer, research director of Americas power and renewables at Wood Mackenzie. He estimates that about 27 gigawatts of coal, nuclear and gas capacity is unavailable, in part because the cold has driven up demand for natural gas for heating. “That’s the bigger problem.”

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bu...ower-prices-spiking-across-Texas-15951684.php

Ed Hirs, an energy fellow in the Department of Economics at the University of Houston, blamed the failures on the state’s deregulated power system, which doesn’t provide power generators with the returns needed to invest in maintaining and improving power plants.

“The ERCOT grid has collapsed in exactly the same manner as the old Soviet Union,” said Hirs. “It limped along on underinvestment and neglect until it finally broke under predictable circumstances.

“For more than a decade, generators have not been able to charge what it costs them to produce electricity,” said Hirs. “If you don’t make a return on your money, how can you keep it up? It’s like not taking care of your car. If you don’t change the oil and tires, you can’t expect your car to be ready to evacuate, let alone get you to work.”

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Ted Cruz has to be real proud of this happening in his great state of Texas. Wasn’t he just last week lobbing insults toward Calif. infrastructure?🤔

howeda7

Reaction score
Ted Cruz has to be real proud of this happening in his great state of Texas. Wasn’t he just last week lobbing insults toward Calif. infrastructure?🤔
I think it's time for Michael Bennett to give him another drubbing.

cncmin

Reaction score
Ummmmm....can you point to where this is a problem only with the energy sources? Did power plants suddenly shut down all across TX? Maybe TX should be more prepared for bad weather. You brag about low taxes, and then when this happens, you wonder why.

Texas weather, power outage: Rolling blackouts leave millions in dark (usatoday.com)

Last edited:

justthefacts

Reaction score

justthefacts

Reaction score
Wind energy is great in the spring and fall where wind is abundant, and demand is lower. We can generate a large portion of our electricity with wind during those months.

It will almost always be useless in severe winter cold, and extreme summer heat. Whatever doesn't freeze up, or cut out due to high heat, will likely fail to generate much electricity due to low wind with large high pressure systems overhead during the peak of the cold/heat.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score

It's not a lie, the answer again always lies in the middle. Posting the same tweet twice in the same thread doesn't make it more true.

From the Texas tribune article you posted right before this pathetic repost:

It's estimated that about 80% of the grid’s capacity, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or six gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

Woodfin said Tuesday that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, is offline and that 30 gigawatts of thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy, is offline.

So they only expected 6 gigwatts of wind generation which they definitely didn't get, and yet 16 gigawatts of wind was offline. Yes, natural gas is the main supplier of energy and had significant issues. 16 gigawatts of wind would have been a huge help to alleviate the situation, wouldn't it? But it wasn't there, because of the weather conditions.

On May 2nd, 2020, at 2:00am wind energy supplied 59.3% of Texas's energy, which was a record. Like I said, wind is great during the windy months with mild temperatures, and low demand. It will never be a significant contributor to our energy needs in extreme winter weather.

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
Weather slowly warming here in Houston. Homes are built differently here. We haven't hit 10 degrees in over 30 years. Broken water pipes in thousands if not tens of thousands of homes, including mine. Thousands of homes have had no heat and water for three days now, in the end its a minor inconvenience for most of us but more challenging for some. This failure has been building over a number of years and energy companies have made billions of dollars, time to upgrade the grid. Just glad it's back to 70 degrees next week. Hope y'all warm up soon, you deserve some warmer weather.

justthefacts

Reaction score
It's not a lie, the answer again always lies in the middle. Posting the same tweet twice in the same thread doesn't make it more true.

From the Texas tribune article you posted right before this pathetic repost:

It's estimated that about 80% of the grid’s capacity, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or six gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

Woodfin said Tuesday that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, is offline and that 30 gigawatts of thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy, is offline.

So they only expected 6 gigwatts of wind generation which they definitely didn't get, and yet 16 gigawatts of wind was offline. Yes, natural gas is the main supplier of energy and had significant issues. 16 gigawatts of wind would have been a huge help to alleviate the situation, wouldn't it? But it wasn't there, because of the weather conditions.

On May 2nd, 2020, at 2:00am wind energy supplied 59.3% of Texas's energy, which was a record. Like I said, wind is great during the windy months with mild temperatures, and low demand. It will never be a significant contributor to our energy needs in extreme winter weather.
A) You clearly didn't actually read the tweets if you think it was the same one twice.

B) If Texas planned to get only 7% of their energy from wind, and has power outages across the states, clearly the main problem is not with wind.

C) As noted in one of the tweets, wind energy is employed in colder and wetter climates all over. You can't extrapolate anything from this

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
A) You clearly didn't actually read the tweets if you think it was the same one twice.

B) If Texas planned to get only 7% of their energy from wind, and has power outages across the states, clearly the main problem is not with wind.

C) As noted in one of the tweets, wind energy is employed in colder and wetter climates all over. You can't extrapolate anything from this

A) It was a different misguided response to the same post calling fox news a liar. Are they twisting it to fit an agenda? Yes. Are they flat out lying? No.

B) I didn't say the main problem was wind, I said it was natural gas. Wind did not offer any help despite the huge wind capacity in the state. Do you think this will get better if we reduce natural gas and add more wind?

C)The climate in Texas is different than other colder/wetter climates. It's far more extreme, and why the central US is home to some of the most extreme weather on the planet.

I forecasted wind energy in ERCOT for over 8 years, including the last big event which occurred during Super Bowl week in Dallas in 2011. They all play out very similarly, but this event was more extreme. They will kill off wind production nearly every time, and I already explained why that is. It's Science.

justthefacts

Reaction score
A) It was a different misguided response to the same post calling fox news a liar. Are they twisting it to fit an agenda? Yes. Are they flat out lying? No.

B) I didn't say the main problem was wind, I said it was natural gas. Wind did not offer any help despite the huge wind capacity in the state. Do you think this will get better if we reduce natural gas and add more wind?

C)The climate in Texas is different than other colder/wetter climates. It's far more extreme, and why the central US is home to some of the most extreme weather on the planet.

I forecasted wind energy in ERCOT for over 8 years, including the last big event which occurred during Super Bowl week in Dallas in 2011. They all play out very similarly, but this event was more extreme. They will kill off wind production nearly every time, and I already explained why that is. It's Science.

A) The Fox News chyron blamed green energy for the problem and that's a blatent mischaracterization as you admit in B.

B) Hmmmm, that's weird this post doesn't mention natural gas at all:

Wind energy is great in the spring and fall where wind is abundant, and demand is lower. We can generate a large portion of our electricity with wind during those months.

It will almost always be useless in severe winter cold, and extreme summer heat. Whatever doesn't freeze up, or cut out due to high heat, will likely fail to generate much electricity due to low wind with large high pressure systems overhead during the peak of the cold/heat.

C) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

h02BYQI.png

Eb2aOdd.png

67qklvs.png

zbO2mpF.png

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
A) The Fox News chyron blamed green energy for the problem and that's a blatent mischaracterization as you admit in B.

B) Hmmmm, that's weird this post doesn't mention natural gas at all:

C) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

h02BYQI.png

Eb2aOdd.png

67qklvs.png

zbO2mpF.png

I mentioned natural gas in my previous post which you obviously ignored.

And you're going to pull up an article mentioning 3,500 MWh on one morning? This was after we've been talking about the state needing 69 GWh? Wow.

This was also a several day event. Many wind turbines were shut down for multiple days due to icing across western and northern TX that week. Another really sad attempt by you.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.24.53 PM.png

Here's the current wind generation vs today's forecast and yesterday's forecast. It's nearly half of what yesterday's forecast was. Why is that? 3,500 is only ~11% of installed capacity, and less than 5% of current demand. Why can't they generate more?

Last edited:

justthefacts

Reaction score
I mentioned natural gas in my previous post which you obviously ignored.

And you're going to pull up an article mentioning 3,500 MWh on one morning? This was after we've been talking about the state needing 69 GWh? Wow.

This was also a several day event. Many wind turbines were shut down for multiple days due to icing across western and northern TX that week. Another really sad attempt by you.

View attachment 11705

Here's the current wind generation vs today's forecast and yesterday's forecast. It's nearly half of what yesterday's forecast was. Why is that? 3,500 is only ~11% of installed capacity, and less than 5% of current demand. Why can't they generate more?

What I pulled up was the head of the Texas power grid specifically stating that coal and natural gas power plants went offline in 2011 and saying that wind had nothing to do with it.

The 3500 MWh was from 10 years ago. That figure is not meant to have anything to do with today. The quote is to show that you were totally making up what caused issues in 2011.

Top Bottom