Early looks next year

march madness

Reaction score
I really down year for the big ten. I could see Ohio st., Michigan, and Wisconsin in top 15 in polls, but not sure anyone else in top 25.

1. Ohio St. Assuming Sullinger leaves and buford returns. One of the best and deepest recruiting classes again!

Craft, Buford, thompson, thomas, a. williams, Ross, another team full of fab freshmen. Fighting Michigan for best backcourt in the nation.

2. Michigan. Assuming Hardaway and Morris return. Still looking for help down low.

Morris, Hardaway, Novak, Morgan, Douglas, Smotrycz, Horford.

3. Wisconsin. Assuming jr pg taylor returns. How many announcers keep calling him a senior??

Taylor, Burst, Utoff, Beggren, Bruesewitz, gasser, Wilson, Evans.

4. Michigan St. Great frontcourt and average guards with all the transfers.

Payne--could me most imporved player, Green, Roe, Appling, Thorton, Nix, 5* fr Dawson.

5. Northwestern: Shurna, cobb, Mirkovic, Marcotullio, curletti. Solid core.

6. Minnesota. If trevor returns I put them at 4. A team of parts.

rodney, Welch, Austin h., Coleman, Sampson, Iverson, Eliason, Walker, Andre h., chip?

7. Indiana; Creek, VJ III, Watford, Hullis, Oladipo, Elston, Sheehey

8. Iowa: May, Gatens, Basabe, Carwright, Marble, Payne, Oglesby. Improving team.

9. Purdue: Hummel??, Jackson, great coach in Painter but major rebuilding job here.

10. Nebraska: scrappy team

11. penn st: not a single returning player of note.

Indiana has Zeller who could make the biggest impact as a Freshman next year. They really have not had a great big man for a while. They could be dangerous.

I agree next season will be a step back for the Big Ten. Losing a lot of really good players. I'd put OSU #1 even if they lose Sullinger & Buford. I suspect some of the returning guys not playing much (including the lefty Thomas) are going to be really good players, not to mention whatever Matta's recruiting class delivers.

Hurts to say it but picking us any higher than 5th (even with Trevor) is taking a significant leap of faith. That said, it will be interesting to see how the new or previously little-used players throughout the Big Ten develop with expanded roles. After seeing Bruiser vs. K-State (clutch shot to put them up 3 & most impressively he didn't hesitate to take it), it's now easy to envision him smoothly transitioning into an increased role for the Badgers. We need to see that next year out of some of our Gophers (i.e. Austin & Rodney immediately come to mind) if we want to be a surprise.

I really down year for the big ten. I could see Ohio st., Michigan, and Wisconsin in top 15 in polls, but not sure anyone else in top 25.

1. Ohio St. Assuming Sullinger leaves and buford returns. One of the best and deepest recruiting classes again!

Craft, Buford, thompson, thomas, a. williams, Ross, another team full of fab freshmen. Fighting Michigan for best backcourt in the nation.

2. Michigan. Assuming Hardaway and Morris return. Still looking for help down low.

3. Wisconsin. Assuming jr pg taylor returns. How many announcers keep calling him a senior??

Taylor, Burst, Utoff, Beggren, Bruesewitz, gasser, Wilson, Evans.

4. Michigan St. Great frontcourt and average guards with all the transfers.

Payne--could me most imporved player, Green, Roe, Appling, Thorton, Nix, 5* fr Dawson.

5. Northwestern: Shurna, cobb, Mirkovic, Marcotullio, curletti. Solid core.

6. Minnesota. If trevor returns I put them at 4. A team of parts.

rodney, Welch, Austin h., Coleman, Sampson, Iverson, Eliason, Walker, Andre h., chip?

7. Indiana; Creek, VJ III, Watford, Hullis, Oladipo, Elston, Sheehey

8. Iowa: May, Gatens, Basabe, Carwright, Marble, Payne, Oglesby. Improving team.

9. Purdue: Hummel??, Jackson, great coach in Painter but major rebuilding job here.

10. Nebraska: scrappy team

11. penn st: not a single returning player of note.

Nice review. Lots of good info here. Missed Illinois.

I agree next season will be a step back for the Big Ten. Losing a lot of really good players. I'd put OSU #1 even if they lose Sullinger & Buford. I suspect some of the returning guys not playing much (including the lefty Thomas) are going to be really good players, not to mention whatever Matta's recruiting class delivers.

Hurts to say it but picking us any higher than 5th (even with Trevor) is taking a significant leap of faith. That said, it will be interesting to see how the new or previously little-used players throughout the Big Ten develop with expanded roles. After seeing Bruiser vs. K-State (clutch shot to put them up 3 & most impressively he didn't hesitate to take it), it's now easy to envision him smoothly transitioning into an increased role for the Badgers. We need to see that next year out of some of our Gophers (i.e. Austin & Rodney immediately come to mind) if we want to be a surprise.

I think we have the biggest delta of any team in the Big Ten next year. Especially if Mbakwe stays, we will have perhaps the best front court in the conference. But having a totally new backcourt is really, really dangerous. If 2 of 3 of the combo of Welch, Coleman and Hollins can develop quickly and play well this team could finish much higher than expected. If not, 10th place is not out of the question. Something tells me we are due for a good surprise. We also can hope for development from Rodney and some of the other returnees but there's not a "give me the ball I'll put the team on my back guy" among them. It has to come from Welch or Hollins. That's an awful lot to hope for.

Most all of the teams remaining in the NCAAs have that go to guy. We need one.

Last time I checked there will be 12 teams in conference next year. Tossing the Illini in here...even though I don't see them being a huge factor either.

A couple of thoughts:

--We'll see how Wisconsin handles being a consensus top-three conference team next year. They always seem to be buried in preseason rankings, and then come out with the underdog mentality and surprise everyone. Not next year.

--I don't know how Michigan can be in the top two, but then again I'm not sure who else would be better. Just seems weird to see them that high after being down for so long.

--Northwestern at #5 seems a bit high. Sure, good players return...but they're the same solid players (led by the same stinky coach) that had a really bad stretch this year. The Wildcats are going to have to prove they can win a big game and win consistently before I'll bump them up.

--If the Gophers get Trevor back, and IF they can find a shooter or two, and IF Welch is as good as advertised, and IF they can avoid off-court trouble...the Gophers are a contender.

I was really impressed with Morris and Hardaway all season. They will have Novak back to drop threes. Michigan didn't make the NIT last season and almost beat Duke to make it to the Sweet 16... that's a nice turnaround.

I think we have the biggest delta of any team in the Big Ten next year. Especially if Mbakwe stays, we will have perhaps the best front court in the conference. But having a totally new backcourt is really, really dangerous. If 2 of 3 of the combo of Welch, Coleman and Hollins can develop quickly and play well this team could finish much higher than expected. If not, 10th place is not out of the question. Something tells me we are due for a good surprise. We also can hope for development from Rodney and some of the other returnees but there's not a "give me the ball I'll put the team on my back guy" among them. It has to come from Welch or Hollins. That's an awful lot to hope for.

Most all of the teams remaining in the NCAAs have that go to guy. We need one.

Agreed, we know that Andre Hollins can shoot, and that Oto is the second best shooter on the team now. Further, there is a good chance that if they don't get with it, Ralph and Colt could lose a lot of PT to Walker and Elliason. Walker is a smart player, who shoots better than Colt, and will not drift in and out of games mentally like the two seniors do. Elliason has good moves inside, he needs to play with a good PF, but he will have better scoring moves inside than either of the seniors next year.
I am not sure Rodney's issues can be fixed, but if he does not get with it, he won't get much PT next year. Austin Hollins will improve every year.
I'm not sure who the "go to" guy will be next year, but the good news is that we are starting with at least three guys we know can shoot, and a mobile wing who is a smart player(Coleman).
We did not have anyone on this team with the potential to be the "go to" guy. At least next year we will have several with the potential and experience playing that role in a competitive league.

The future is so bright I need some sun glasses

I think we will finish near the top of the Big Ten next year and win at least two games in the NCAA tournament. This assumes no player issues, like this year or last year. The biggest issue in my mind is either Julian or Andre leading and running the team. I think improved guard play will make players like Sampson better. If Mbakwe leaves that will be bad but if Walker is healthy I don’t think it will be as big a deal. It will be fun see what Oto and Elliot can do. Going from 8 scholarship players to 13 is a big deal; we can wear teams down and really play at a high tempo. I would guess our average points per game will go up next year and that will excel on defense.
I wonder if there will be any good players walking on the team this year?

I think we will finish near the top of the Big Ten next year and win at least two games in the NCAA tournament. This assumes no player issues, like this year or last year. The biggest issue in my mind is either Julian or Andre leading and running the team. I think improved guard play will make players like Sampson better. If Mbakwe leaves that will be bad but if Walker is healthy I don’t think it will be as big a deal. It will be fun see what Oto and Elliot can do. Going from 8 scholarship players to 13 is a big deal; we can wear teams down and really play at a high tempo. I would guess our average points per game will go up next year and that will excel on defense.

I am excited about the bolded. This year I really missed the press/turnovers/fast break points....I hope with a much deeper team we get back to pressing and running more

I share your optimism. And throughout Tubby's history, he's always had his best seasons when you least expected it. So I would be shocked if we finished lower than 5th in the conference next year.

I wish I could share your optimism, but a sweet sixteen appearance seems like a stretch. I definitely think the NCAAs will be within reach but we will be relying on freshman (redshirt and true) and I don't have the same confidence in Walker replacing Trevor, if he leaves, next year.

After the past two months though I can't wait until practice starts back up in October.

Ooops I forgot Illinois. Senior dominated team loses pg Mccamey and 3 solid front court players in Davis, Tisdale, and Cole.

They still have Paul, Richardson, Richmond, Leonard shows promise, and a very solid class with (4) 4* players: sf henry, pf shaw, c egwu, pg abrams. Still a young finese team.

Basically I could see Illinois anywhere from 4th to 9th. I see Ohio st, Michigan, and Wisconsin in top 3. I see Purdue, Penn St., and Nebraska at the bottom 10-12. The 4th thru 9th is up for grabs.

--Northwestern at #5 seems a bit high. Sure, good players return...but they're the same solid players (led by the same stinky coach) that had a really bad stretch this year. The Wildcats are going to have to prove they can win a big game and win consistently before I'll bump them up.

I would say 5 is about right. Possibly 6. The original post is forgetting Crawford, probably the number 2 option after Shurna.

Basically I could see Illinois anywhere from 4th to 9th. I see Ohio st, Michigan, and Wisconsin in top 3. I see Purdue, Penn St., and Nebraska at the bottom 10-12. The 4th thru 9th is up for grabs.

LOL :D

Not. Gonna. Happen.

You clearly do not follow Big Ten basketball very closely.

Making certain assumptions (i.e. Sullinger & Mbakwe leave early/Buford, Taylor, Hardaway & Morris stay/Hummel healthy), I'd go like this:

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State
4. Wisconsin
5. Purdue
6. Illinois
7. Northwestern
8. Minnesota
9. Iowa
10. Indiana
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

Why not, I'll throw in my guess with teirs.

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan State
5. Illinois
6. Purdue

7. Minnesota
8. Indiana
9. Northwestern
10. Iowa

11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

Making certain assumptions (i.e. Sullinger & Mbakwe leave early/Buford, Taylor, Hardaway & Morris stay/Hummel healthy), I'd go like this:

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State
4. Wisconsin
5. Purdue
6. Illinois
7. Northwestern
8. Minnesota
9. Iowa
10. Indiana
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

Can I ask why you are high on Michigan State? They were pretty poor this year with Lucas. They also lose Summers. Their leading returning scorer is Green at 12 a game than it drops to 6. Appling will probably step up and I am sure they have a freshman or two that are supposed to be good.

It just seems hard to bank on freshman becoming big time contributors in the Big-Ten unless they a Jared Sullinger. Obviously, it happens with guys like Hardaway Jr as well. I guess I just dont see a ton of fire power on that team

I don't expect Izzo to have another year like the one he just had. His track record like that of Matta, Bo & Painter is just too good to ignore. ... those guys are proven commodities in this league. But really, it's more that I don't think the top 3 of the Big Ten will be as good as it was this year. Someone has to finish in the top 3. I'm just taking a swing that it will be Sparty.

I don't expect Izzo to have another year like the one he just had. His track record like that of Matta, Bo & Painter is just too good to ignore. ... those guys are proven commodities in this league. But really, it's more that I don't think the top 3 of the Big Ten will be as good as it was this year. Someone has to finish in the top 3. I'm just taking a swing that it will be Sparty.

That makes sense. I would have Wisconsin ahead of them because I think Taylor is better than anyone the Spartans have coming back and I am a Badger fan. I think Ohio State with Buford, Craft, and others will be really good. Michigan looks tough. After that it is a guessing game. I think Taylor, Gasser, Bruiser give the Badgers a pretty tough. The Gophers have a solid front-court but a back court full of questions. The Illini have good recruiting classes that have not produced a ton. Northwestern will be interesting. Should be a fun year next year.

In a way we have a little of the same thing with Tubby. He has never had two bad years in a row and had run 20 wins for something like 15 years or so (where's FOT when I need him). As much as I haven't liked what I saw from Tubby this year, he's a competitor and a winner. I like that he is already talking uptempo and aggressive for next year. We need a few breaks (good impact newcomers) and a drama free year and we can be right there in the middle of things.

I wish I could share your optimism, but a sweet sixteen appearance seems like a stretch. I definitely think the NCAAs will be within reach but we will be relying on freshman (redshirt and true) and I don't have the same confidence in Walker replacing Trevor, if he leaves, next year.

After the past two months though I can't wait until practice starts back up in October.

I believe Walker was our best big man. None of our big guys could open space around the basket like Mo did. He is a true center with a really nice touch. When teams double-up on him our outside shooters will do the job. I am very optimistic about next year. I watched UK-MSU game last night again. UK had 3 freshmen on its roster during the last few minutes of the game. We will be young but good. Mo is much better than Morris. Joe is much better than Crawford. AH is as good as Rondo was that year. Anything is possible if we just have a better luck than we did for the last two years. We just need one winning season.

Go Gophers

I believe Walker was our best big man. None of our big guys could open space around the basket like Mo did. He is a true center with a really nice touch. When teams double-up on him our outside shooters will do the job. I am very optimistic about next year. I watched UK-MSU game last night again. UK had 3 freshmen on its roster during the last few minutes of the game. We will be young but good. Mo is much better than Morris. Joe is much better than Crawford. AH is as good as Rondo was that year. Anything is possible if we just have a better luck than we did for the last two years. We just need one winning season.

Go Gophers

Maybe true about Walker, but I did not see enough of him to completely agree with your assessment. My big concern about the injury is how far it sets him back with conditioning. He is huge and playing this year would have helped him in long term conditioning. It may be well into the summer before he can really work out, which sets him behind. He will not be more than a 20 minute guy, at least early in the season.

A winning season this year would have set up recruiting nicely for the next couple of years. This year's debacle may have set that back as well. Many questions heading into next season, but now is the time for optimism.

Go Gophers

I was watching that replay of MSU/UK as well and yeah, Tubby had a lot of young guys out there, no doubt. But I wouldn't go about making declarations about certain guys being better players though. All three of those guys were top 20 kids. Only Andre is probably a guy who could cast his lot in that mix. We just don't know what we got till they get here, and Mo plays a Big Ten game, for that matter. If we can even remotely touch any of the success that team had, I'll be a very happy camper.

Purdue isnt in a much better boat than we are, hummel's ACL is in dire straights and they just have a bunch of role players

While this is way too early to make well informed decisions without knowing about defections, those returning from injuries, late signees, etc., it's fun to speculate. Here is my take (assuming Mbakwe leaves early). I also put teams in three tiers with order easily mixed within the tiers.

Tier 1:
1. O$U
2. Michigan

Tier 2:
3. Illinois
4. MSU
5. Wisconsin
6. Iowa
7. Minnesota
8. Indiana

Tier 3:
9. Purdue
10. Northwestern
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

The loss of "Juice" Thompson will really hurt Northwestern. While I like Painter as a coach/recruiter at Purdue, losing Moore & Johnson will cause a one year set back. Hopefully, Leuer's graduation will hurt Wisky more than I think, but Ryan somehow always does better than expected. Same goes for Izzo. I probably have my "black and gold" Hawkeye glasses on, but only losing Cole, the development of rest of team, as well as getting a healthy Cully Payne back to play back-up point guard should provide some needed depth. If Mbakwe returns to MN than I would flip flop my IA & MN order.

Hawks our picks are similar. I would suggest that I'm not sure what you base Illinois finishing 3rd and Wisconsin 5th though? Illinois loses McCamey and two solid big men in Tisdale and Davis. They have a solid recruiting class but no 5* big impact freshmen. Paul and Richardson are good guards, Richmond is an athletic wing, Leonard looks like a decent project at center. But they still have no strong tough post players. If Taylor returns, they put Berggren at center and develop a few others.

For what it's worth, Mo slimmed down big time. I was worried about his conditioning too, but anybody who saw him at the games saw that he was practically svelte by the end of the year. I personally think this will be a top four team next year. I can't tell you why, but I think if we don't have any meaningful defections (there are a couple defections I'd like to see) we'll have the potential to have a dominating front court with a bunch of athletic slashers who can play the sort of D we need to succeed.

March Madness - I would have no problem in flip/flopping Illinois and Wisky, as I said the teams within my "tiers" are all relatively even. I thought the 3rd spot was the hardest slot to pick in the conference order because after O$U and Michigan, no team really stands out to me. In any event, it should be an interesting B10 race next year.

Top Bottom