Dylan McGill has been cleared and

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
will be coming to Minnesota.

Interesting to say the least!

Great! I was curious about this one. Didn't look good for a while.

awesome. cant wait to see him in marron and gold!

Love the Salvador Dali look of that uniform. Maybe we could wear these threads against Wisconsin. McGill is the kind of player who can stretch the field

He needs to pick a different #. That one will be retired soon.

Can't think of the school that is doing away with the ACT. Positive it wasn't a Big 10 team.

Apparently, he’s a great student, who took the ACT very late in the process, not expecting it to be an issue, but it obviously didn’t go well, for whatever reason. He had a bunch of Ivy League offers last summer, so it’s a bit of a head scratcher.

Awesome, congratulations Dylan McGill. Just sounds like a "Golden" Gopher football player kind of name, tenacious and trouble for the opponent.

Apparently, he’s a great student, who took the ACT very late in the process, not expecting it to be an issue, but it obviously didn’t go well, for whatever reason. He had a bunch of Ivy League offers last summer, so it’s a bit of a head scratcher.
Maybe he didn't study at all, thought he could show up and get whatever minimum grade he needed?

I made that up out of thin air, no idea.

So will McGill be given a scholarship from the start? Or is he going to Maroon shirt?

He would be the 25th, and final, new (scholarship) counter for the 2020 season, assuming all of these guys are getting one right out of the gate: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

Which of course would mean that JDS would have to walk-on, if he decided that he wants to play his final season here.

As far as I can tell, he doesn’t have elite speed, but he’s not “slow.” He has similar size and athletic traits to TJ. He could even play the Seth Green role, assuming he can make the transition to WR. He’s smaller than Seth, but has more speed. He appears to be an decent high school passer.

As far as I can tell, he doesn’t have elite speed, but he’s not “slow.” He has similar size and athletic traits to TJ. He could even play the Seth Green role, assuming he can make the transition to WR. He’s smaller than Seth, but has more speed. He appears to be an decent high school passer.
McGill doesn't have to make the transition to WR to play the "Seth Green role". Seth Green is not a WR, no matter how labeled.

Rushing & Receiving

RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2018MinnesotaBig TenSOWR13762823.7823718.50783194.18
*2019MinnesotaBig TenJRWR1129993.45188.00301073.65
CareerMinnesota1053813.61334515.001084263.913

Passing

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018MinnesotaBig TenSOWR134580.0367.26.221232.5
*2019MinnesotaBig TenJRWR1111100.011.021.010438.4
CareerMinnesota5683.3376.28.731266.8
Scoring

TouchdownsKicking
YearSchoolConfClassPosGRushRecIntFRPRKROthTotXPMFGM2PMSftyPts
*2018MinnesotaBig TenSOWR138000080048
*2019MinnesotaBig TenJRWR115000050030
CareerMinnesota130000130078

Last edited:

He doesn't have to make the transition to WR to play the "Seth Green role". Seth Green is not a WR.

I agree, but I think PJ liked the idea of having Green on the field so that defenses didn’t know where he would line up. Unfortunately, he was a liability at WR, so they transitioned away from that. McGill is more athletic than Green, so perhaps he’ll be able to do it.

I agree, but I think PJ liked the idea of having Green on the field so that defenses didn’t know where he would line up. Unfortunately, he was a liability at WR, so they transitioned away from that. McGill is more athletic than Green, so perhaps he’ll be able to do it.
This clearly has to be true, or we'd have seen Green lining up in the slot quite a bit more. Wasn't he originally moving to TE? Obviously couldn't block. So move him to WO .... must not be much of a ball catcher, either.

And obviously he never worked out at QB. They wouldn't even give him snaps when it was a debacle between Rhoda and Croft.

So he's a too-tall running back, that will do a jump pass at times.

He's got the one most important thing on his resume - a burning desire to be a Gopher.

As the QB on his team, it probably means he is one of their best players. MN is his only P5 offer. PJ Fleck saw something in him and that is enough for me.

I could envision him in the wildcat.

More importantly, I sense that he will be an important selfless reliable role player. A red shirt year will do wonders.

So will McGill be given a scholarship from the start? Or is he going to Maroon shirt?

He would be the 25th, and final, new (scholarship) counter for the 2020 season, assuming all of these guys are getting one right out of the gate: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

Which of course would mean that JDS would have to walk-on, if he decided that he wants to play his final season here.

I believe he's going to count against next year.

Seth Green is a great success story for this coaching staff. They have found a role for him. Green has been a real contributor to this team.

It will be interesting to see what they do in the future with other recruits listed as "athlete", rather than having a specific position.

McGill doesn't have to make the transition to WR to play the "Seth Green role". Seth Green is not a WR, no matter how labeled.

Rushing & Receiving

YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
RushingReceivingScrimmage
*2018MinnesotaBig TenSOWR13762823.7823718.50783194.18
*2019MinnesotaBig TenJRWR1129993.45188.00301073.65
CareerMinnesota1053813.61334515.001084263.913

Passing

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
*2018MinnesotaBig TenSOWR134580.0367.26.221232.5
*2019MinnesotaBig TenJRWR1111100.011.021.010438.4
CareerMinnesota5683.3376.28.731266.8
Scoring

YearSchoolConfClassPosGRushRecIntFRPRKROthTotXPMFGM2PMSftyPts
TouchdownsKicking
*2018MinnesotaBig TenSOWR138000080048
*2019MinnesotaBig TenJRWR115000050030
CareerMinnesota130000130078
Look at that passer rating! Greatest Gopher QB of all-time!!

Seth Green is a great success story for this coaching staff. They have found a role for him. Green has been a real contributor to this team.
Nicely stated.

I was skeptical at first but have come to see the "Seth package" generally as a sign of confidence with the game plan. The other team knows what's coming and we just execute to get the necessary yards.

Even better, to both Green and Tanner's credit they trust when this call is made.

Progress.

Don't hold your breath on Spielman becoming a Gopher!

Top Bottom