Dunbar

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Although I couldn't stand watching us punt after failing to convert on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1, I kind of wish we kept the guy around. I'm sure Brewster wishes he kept him. I think Brew's biggest mistake was talking up the spread, then ditching it after two years and doing a 180.

Stick to your guns, keep Dunbar, maybe we have an offense that can move the ball rather than Fisch's excuse for an offense, and we win an extra game or two last year.

Assuming he is done (I think the loss to South Dakota is reason enough to go in a different direction) it would be interesting to hear from Brew what he would change if he had it to do over again. My guess is he would have kept Dunbar.

I Brewster had to do it over again, I think he would not have hired Dunbar in the first place. I think he would have started with the offense we have now and he probably would have hired Horton over Fisch.

Dunbar sucked monkey nuts. And he liked it.

We'll find out next fall if we should have kept Dunbar. He's the offensive coordinate and New Mexico State.

I Brewster had to do it over again, I think he would not have hired Dunbar in the first place. I think he would have started with the offense we have now and he probably would have hired Horton over Fisch.

Brewster had about 48 hours to hire a coaching staff after he was hired so they could hit the recruiting trail with three weeks to go before commitment day. If he had sufficient time to hire a staff it is safe to say things would have been a lot different in his first year. As far as I am concerned you can't count Brewsters first year against him. After 2003 Mason's recruiting classes were pathetic because he had already stopped trying.

Brewster had about 48 hours to hire a coaching staff after he was hired so they could hit the recruiting trail with three weeks to go before commitment day. If he had sufficient time to hire a staff it is safe to say things would have been a lot different in his first year. As far as I am concerned you can't count Brewsters first year against him. After 2003 Mason's recruiting classes were pathetic because he had already stopped trying.

I agree that you can not count Brewster's first year against him. However, it was clear he wanted to run the spread offense. I think the he saw the writing on the wall and realized that this was not the way to go. My point is that if he had to do it over again now I do not believe that Brewster would have went with the spread offense, much less hire Dunbar.

My thoughts exactly.

Bingo!

We're doing right now exactly what we should've done in year one. Brewster's only wish should be to get one of these:

back-to-the-future.jpg

So you're saying his entire offensive identity was based entirely upon who was available to coach?

You weren't the guy who called into the common man progrum suggesting the Vikes pick you Troy Stoudermire for this week's game against Detroit are you?

So you're saying his entire offensive identity was based entirely upon who was available to coach?

You weren't the guy who called into the common man progrum suggesting the Vikes pick you Troy Stoudermire for this week's game against Detroit are you?

Thank goodness there are one or two guys like you around here who still have their brains in tact and sensibilities. And in 9 out of 10 cases I would wholeheartedly agree with your point right on the spot. In the case of Brewster, however, given what we've observed with his personality, his highly emotional nature and mercurial behavior, I could actually believe it (as ass backwards as it is) if he found Dunbar first and then convinced himself that this is who he should build his offensive identity around. But we'll never really know and I doubt Coach Brewster will ever share this, unless he writes a book some day.

Whether Brewster had a fundamental grass roots football belief system in place when he took this job is hard to know. Gleaning from how he spoke and felt about Mack Brown, and his belief in his own recruiting experience, if I had to guess I would say Brewster's primary thought was to build a program that resembled what he knew and observed at Texas. Unfortunately, he lacked the experience, acumen, eye, and head coaching skills necessary to emulate that program. What none of us can ever deny, however, was his very genuine commitment to hard work, enthusiasm and building up the University of Minnesota football program (for which he deserves all the credit in the world). Unfortunately, all those positive qualities just weren't enough. It really is unfortunate because he was probably a great ambassador for the UofM and the football program until kids started to see he couldn't build the powerhouse he envisioned.

To give, or to not give, Tim Brewster more time; that is the question indeed. One day it seems like we should, and the next day it feels like something is just not right with him at the helm. When I listen carefully to guys like Saban, Meyer, Tressel and Paterno speak, and observe their personalities and demeanor and get a feel for their intelligence, I can't help but conclude that the well-meaning Tim Brewster is not the right guy for the job.

Dunbar had what Brew lacked. Experience. I have a feeling this was the first consideration. Brew could hand over the offense with no worries, or so he thought. I've always wondered how the pairing came to be though. I'd really like to get that story.

We need to get phil or MV on this.

Top Bottom