Dozens of assistants primed to move up (Chryst, Withers both listed)

I want Gus Malzahn! The more I read/think about him the more I want him on our sidelines. Every where he goes there has been success.

I would take the TE's coach from Stanford over any of the coordinators. :)

I just hope we are not too blind to even look at this list. Some of these guys may be better options.

I just hope we are not too blind to even look at this list. Some of these guys may be better options.

Yeah, wouldn't you rather have Venables, Wilson, or Treadwell than an under .500 MAC coach?

I only want a coordinator if we whiff on Richt, Bellotti, Calhoun, Golden, Sumlin, Ken, Edsall, Fulmer, Bowden, Bowden, Kill and probably a couple I'm forgetting. We can't possibly whiff on that many guys, right?

What? No David Lockwood?

Sorry, that's a cheap shot.

Some interesting names and I would rather have some of these guys than some of the lower-end guys being mentioned as possibilities for the job. I especially like Wilson and Venables from Oklahoma and Shawn Watson from Nebraska (who does have head coaching experience).

I think Venables is going to be a very good head coach someday. Why not at the University of Minnesota? He may be a "B" list guy to some, but its better than whatever list Maturi plucked Brewster from 4 years ago.

I want Gus Malzahn! The more I read/think about him the more I want him on our sidelines. Every where he goes there has been success.

1. GUS MALZAHN
CURRENT JOB: Auburn offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: In 2005, Malzahn was coaching Springdale (Ark.) High. Five years later, he's the hottest new head coaches in America. Every offense he touches, Malzahn revs up. And he has helped develop a scheme that has made MarQueis Gray the best player in the nation.

I've edited his description a bit ...

Malzahn

I have just a little bit of reservation about Malzahn not really knowing anything about him as a coach. He ended up at the Univ or Arkansas because they were recruiting one of his players (sort of like you see in baskebtall with AAU coaches...) - at least that's how the few articles that criticized his move in Arkansas read. Maybe that just means he knows how to play "the game".

I have just a little bit of reservation about Malzahn not really knowing anything about him as a coach. He ended up at the Univ or Arkansas because they were recruiting one of his players (sort of like you see in baskebtall with AAU coaches...) - at least that's how the few articles that criticized his move in Arkansas read. Maybe that just means he knows how to play "the game".

They were recruiting a hand full of players from Springdale. He can flat out coach though. I'm sure we all would have welcomed M Floyd if Scanlon would have come along as some sort of assistant.

Yeah Malzahn was hired at Arkansas shortly after his players accepted scholarships there. Sketchy? Yeah probably. I believe he was a WR coach and then quickly promoted to OC. His friend got a job at Tulsa and he accepted OC and assistant HC there. Then to Auburn to be OC. How he got to D1 might have been sketchy, but he has definately proved he belongs.

I don't know why, I have a gut feeling about this guy. He is easily in my top three with Harbaugh and Dan Mullen.

I have started to become very intrigued with Kirby Smart, I love that he is defensive minded. Does anybody know any other minute details about his rise or coaching background?

I have started to become very intrigued with Kirby Smart, I love that he is defensive minded. Does anybody know any other minute details about his rise or coaching background?

I think he is a little less likely (not because it is MN) but he turned down a high paying DC coaching job with his alma matter (Georgia) so that he could stay with Nick Saben, whom he as followed almost everywhere he's went. Might he leave Nick for a HC job? Sure. But I can't imagine him doing so, unless it is the HC job at Georgie.

I think he is a little less likely (not because it is MN) but he turned down a high paying DC coaching job with his alma matter (Georgia) so that he could stay with Nick Saben, whom he as followed almost everywhere he's went. Might he leave Nick for a HC job? Sure. But I can't imagine him doing so, unless it is the HC job at Georgie.

I can't see Kirby Smart leaving Alabama for anything other than an SEC coaching job. Maybe something in the Big 12 in the south, but SEC minds and critics alike agree that the next SEC job available is Smarts to lose.

A lot of Kirby Smart's availability comes down to how willing Will Muschamp is to wait for Mack Brown to retire.

I think most people would prefer Muschamp to Smart, and if he is willing to break his succession agreement with Texas to go take over at Georgia, he will be their new coach (also played football for the Bulldogs).

However, I think Georgia could throw a pretty big offer at Smart this season if Muschamp holds out for Texas.

Top Bottom