Doogie: Time for Gophers to see if Tubby Smith's fire still burns

BleedGopher

Reaction score
A year later, Doogie still taking the Iowa games out of Tubby's record for some reason. Does anyone know if Jim Delaney counts those differently? Do the UW sportswriters count Bo's wins over Monson differently?

"In four years against everyone in the Big Ten, Smith is just 32-40. Exclude lowly Iowa, and he is 26-40."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...to_see_if_Tubby_Smiths_fire_still_burns101311

Go Gophers!!

A year later, Doogie still taking the Iowa games out of Tubby's record for some reason. Does anyone know if Jim Delaney counts those differently? Do the UW sportswriters count Bo's wins over Monson differently?

"In four years against everyone in the Big Ten, Smith is just 32-40. Exclude lowly Iowa, and he is 26-40."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...to_see_if_Tubby_Smiths_fire_still_burns101311

Go Gophers!!

I have no problem with the Iowa reference, but I fail to understand this...

"Flip Saunders, whom logic says will be the "U" coach in the future"

Take Iowa out because it makes Tubby look worse and Flip,do you think at the age of sixty plus he will ever take a college job?Don't see the so called logic.

He also continues to ignore the BTT, and claims recruiting misses that weren't (Ricky Kreklow? Really?).

Pretty sure he has "written" this exact article three times at least.

Excluding Iowa is the dumbest thing. Ok, Doogs, let's do it the other way. Let's instead exclude national power Michigan State (regular season only counts, apparently).

That makes his record 32-32.

Article 1: "He also has yet to do what former coach Dan Monson could: finish a conference season in the top 4."

Article 2: "He also has yet to do what former coach Dan Monson could: finish a conference season in the top four."

Article 1: "Not only did he miss out on top-flight recruit Cory Joseph (Texas), but he also swung-and-missed on Trevor Releford (Alabama), Ricky Kreklow (Missouri), and Alex Kirk (New Mexico). The freshmen he brought in who played – Mo Walker, Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin, and Maverick Ahanmisi - might have promising futures, but did little this season."

Article 2: "Not only did Smith miss out on top-flight recruit Cory Joseph (Texas), but he failed to land Trevor Releford (Alabama), Ricky Kreklow (Missouri) and Alex Kirk (New Mexico). The freshmen he brought in who played-- Walker, Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin and Maverick Ahanmisi -- might have promising futures but contributed little."

Article 1: "Center Colton Iverson regressed, while center Ralph Sampson III and forward Rodney Williams Jr. didn't improve."

Article 2: "Iverson regressed, which might explain his departure, while Sampson III and Williams Jr. didn't improve."

Article 1: "Maybe this season will rejuvenate Smith. Based on recent recruiting trips to California, Tennessee, and Illinois (more than normal over a two week stretch in-season), maybe the fire still burns; maybe he's not here just to collect large paychecks and allow his son, Saul, to work alongside him."

Article 2: "Maybe this season will rejuvenate Smith. Based on March recruiting trips to California, Tennessee and Illinois -- more than normal over a two-week stretch in-season -- maybe the fire still burns. Maybe he's not here just to collect large paychecks and allow his son, Saul, to work alongside him."

From the Barn said:
Article 1: "He also has yet to do what former coach Dan Monson could: finish a conference season in the top 4."

Article 2: "He also has yet to do what former coach Dan Monson could: finish a conference season in the top four."

Article 1: "Not only did he miss out on top-flight recruit Cory Joseph (Texas), but he also swung-and-missed on Trevor Releford (Alabama), Ricky Kreklow (Missouri), and Alex Kirk (New Mexico). The freshmen he brought in who played – Mo Walker, Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin, and Maverick Ahanmisi - might have promising futures, but did little this season."

Article 2: "Not only did Smith miss out on top-flight recruit Cory Joseph (Texas), but he failed to land Trevor Releford (Alabama), Ricky Kreklow (Missouri) and Alex Kirk (New Mexico). The freshmen he brought in who played-- Walker, Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin and Maverick Ahanmisi -- might have promising futures but contributed little."

Article 1: "Center Colton Iverson regressed, while center Ralph Sampson III and forward Rodney Williams Jr. didn't improve."

Article 2: "Iverson regressed, which might explain his departure, while Sampson III and Williams Jr. didn't improve."

Article 1: "Maybe this season will rejuvenate Smith. Based on recent recruiting trips to California, Tennessee, and Illinois (more than normal over a two week stretch in-season), maybe the fire still burns; maybe he's not here just to collect large paychecks and allow his son, Saul, to work alongside him."

Article 2: "Maybe this season will rejuvenate Smith. Based on March recruiting trips to California, Tennessee and Illinois -- more than normal over a two-week stretch in-season -- maybe the fire still burns. Maybe he's not here just to collect large paychecks and allow his son, Saul, to work alongside him."

Lmao ... Uh oh

LOL. I'm not even going to click the link.

Do you think Doogie will chime in on this? This is pretty bad.

Totally my fault. As I have done before, I'll take excerpts from previous blogs, and provide updates. In this particular case, I thought I had written, "As I wrote in March for my blog at startribune.com..." Definitely all my work, but yes, it should've been referenced.

Idea was to just turn a simple corner after process reporting Shooter's report about Tubby being on the verge of agreeing to a 5-year/$10M extension. I got in touch with Maturi, so did have new info.

Was distracted by a few deadlines for the Ch. 45 news at 9p and Ch. 5 news at 10p. But should clearly know better.

Doogie please drop the 'excluding Iowa' bit. It's silly and you've referenced it like 10 times now.

and the BTT.

Not sure why home wins against a couple bad indiana teams is better measure of success that neutral site wins over very good teams.

He should exclude wins when the other team has injuries,doesn't shoot well from three point range, and of course lucky wins like Indiana in thr BT tourny of few years ago.Where does his selective stats stop? lol I actually think Rodney showed a little improvement last year.Not enough but he was stronger and I thought his defense is getting there.I too have been disappointed in Tubby's recruiting.The program got set back by getting involved with the Joseph family in the first place.Tubby has had some bad luck be it Royce White or Nolan's injuries and grade issue.Many of Doggie's points I agree with it.This is a make or break season for the Gophers.Despite some predictions if there not at least top five in the Big Ten this year I will consider the season and the Tubby era a failure.

I'm glad you did the work for me, From the Barn. I recalled Doogie having already written almost every line from that piece before. I did a triple take on the date making sure Bleed didn't accidentally post an old article. Solid effort from Doogie as usual.

Top Bottom